• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Lanterne Rouge?

This one might be harder to pick than the GC winner because the LR is fought out by a few guys who lost big time on flat stages due to crashes or illness. A lot of sprinters/workers drop big chunks of time on the climbs, but that's not enough to become LR. Trying to guess who will crash hard or get the squirts is tough.

Re:

gunara said:
Without Kittel to focus on maybe Curvers or De Kort can do this, just to give a reason to hang on to Paris. Or Leezer. When was the last time a Dutch 'won' this? Not this century I believe.

Definately not de Kort. Curvers could become a candidate.

Veelers would've been a grand candidate, but he isn't on the startlist.

The poor b@stard stuck with pulling for the hungriest sprinter, that's who. The last two years Cheng Ji has been there or thereabouts because he had to spend hours of the first week on the front for Kittel, so my guess is someone from Giant-Alpecin, Etixx-QuickStep, FDJ or Cofidis.

Re:

gunara said:
Without Kittel to focus on maybe Curvers or De Kort can do this, just to give a reason to hang on to Paris. Or Leezer. When was the last time a Dutch 'won' this? Not this century I believe.
Curvers and De Kort will still be finishing ST in the bunch finishes, Degenkolb is still plenty quick enough to get amongst it. It's the poor bloke who has to catch the breaks for them that is going to contend for the lantern.