• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's more talented, Peter Sagan or Edvald Boasson Hagen

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Both these riders are almost identical in abilities and strengths. I'm surprised they don't go head to head more.

Who do you think is the better of the 2. I think in the upcoming Tour de France Sagan will do better as Boasson Hagen has to work for Cavendish. But in the Dauphine, Boasson Hagen destroyed the field on that climb. Amazing.

Regardless, both are exciting to watch.

c&cfan said:
Sagan, by a very wide margin overall and also better in every aspect.
EBH is a million times better in long ITTs though. I'm also not convinced that Sagan is better on long climbs, where EBH has shown considerably more. Not at Sagan's age, though.

When it comes to sprints, they've almost never met each other. They've only ever been in the same stage race once (T-A this year) where EBH beat Sagan comfortably in the only sprint he contested.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
i think peter sagan is more talented then EBH.
they generate the same kind of expectitaves, they have similar profiles, both are winning lot of stages.
but sagan has proved to be better in what should be their most importan field: the classics.
he was one of the strongest on san remo, beaten by liquigas tactical stupidity and by fabian cancellara generous suicide, he was very strong in RVV and in amstel, where he was on the podium.
ebh has not score any real good performance in classics.
he should decide in which kind of rìder he can develop, he is one of the few sky which did not progress in this years.
maybe going under the guidance of kerrison he will make the switch next year.

sagan has better bike handling, more hunger for victoryes, seems to stand better the distance.

Sagan has a huge upside, and has already had a lot of success early in his career.

He may not climb as well as EBH, but he has a faster top end, is probably a better descender, and has that intangible to want/get the win that I don't see as much with EBH.

They'll be going head to head for a while, so we will eventually see, but my vote is for Sagan.

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sagan, no doubt. Just think of what he has done this year:

Tour of Oman
1st Points Classification
1st Stage 2

Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 4

Three Days of De Panne
1st Stage 1

Tour of California

1st Points Classification
1st Stage 1
1st Stage 2
1st Stage 3
1st Stage 4
1st Stage 8

Tour de Suisse
1st Stage 1 (ITT)
1st Stage 3
1st Stage 4
1st Stage 6

4th Milan – San Remo
2nd Gent–Wevelgem
5th Tour of Flanders
3rd Amstel Gold Race

The thing that settled it for me was Sagans performances in the classics this year. EBH, even being a couple of years older, didn't performe even close to Sagan.

Still, EBH is a great talent, just because Sagan is a greater talent one shouldn't diminish EBH's talent.And honestly, EBH might be more of a multitalent than Sagan: he can sprint, time-trial, win stage races, and climb fairly well. Sagan on the other hand is just better on the things he is good at - he uses he talent better.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
EBH could win more races if he didn't ride for Sky. That said, I'm going with Sagan because he was fantastic in the spring classics. EBH is one of the worst cyclists hyped as a one day racer I've ever seen.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Sagan. Slightly better in sprints and prologues, better on small hills and much better in the classics. EBH is a lot better in long ITT's though, and probably slightly better in long climbs (although neither is good enough to really have that make a difference).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't see EBH winning 4 or 5 stages in a single stage race, therefore Sagan. Plus Sagan has better bike handeling, is better in the classics, and has a more supportive team.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
But can Sagan barbecue ? :D

179522_10150994348379873_798779898_n.jpg