• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why are British cyclists so much better than Australian cyclists?

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

isn't all this about having some fun?

sublimit said:
This thread if for the kids, Some people here gain some sort of pleasure baiting people and generally coming out with delusional nationalistic BS

Brodeals post was good though.

I just assumed the "delusional... BS" was just for fun. If those from the Island of OZ enjoy kicking around the British Islanders, so what? And vice-a versa. 99% of what goes on on these forums is meaningless nonsense, right?

A

Anonymous

Why are we discussing track cycling in the road racing forum.

Off to the track section with you all :p

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
I just assumed the "delusional... BS" was just for fun. If those from the Island of OZ enjoy kicking around the British Islanders, so what? And vice-a versa. 99% of what goes on on these forums is meaningless nonsense, right?

Your probably right. It does seem a bit one way at times though and can start to get on your nerves. .
OK i need to lighten up.

I was thinking of posting the Medal table for the track cycling at the last Olympics but that may upset a few people. :)

Simple answer to this is MONEY!!

When the AIS was being funded properly, they churned out talents like O'Grady, Vogels, Sweet, McDonald, McEwen etc, etc. Since the funding was reduced after the Sydney Olympics, they haven't been able to produce as many talents.

Conversely, the UK using the AIS as a model has had heaps of funding and is now turning out talented riders.

Obviously there are other factors, such as the UK head coach being Australian, to take into account but funding is where the main difference is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
Simple answer to this is MONEY!!

When the AIS was being funded properly, they churned out talents like O'Grady, Vogels, Sweet, McDonald, McEwen etc, etc. Since the funding was reduced after the Sydney Olympics, they haven't been able to produce as many talents.

Conversely, the UK using the AIS as a model has had heaps of funding and is now turning out talented riders.

Obviously there are other factors, such as the UK head coach being Australian, to take into account but funding is where the main difference is.

Ahhhh, we kept on churning out talents after the Olympics. You are clearly mistaken.

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
To be honest, I think you are the only one who actually cares.

I care :D Nothing inspires me more, to see the British lose. All that stiff upper lip nonsense, the passive way you take defeat.

Get some Australianism, you know the definition of that is; the ability to see victory at all costs. Just like the other day, when a rookie attempts to throw down the stumps and misses, the ball goes for four, and the opposition only need two more runs to win. The skipper of the side rightly said, yeah, but what if he'd have hit them, we'd have won the match! Case rested.

MadonePro said:
I care :D Nothing inspires me more, to see the British lose.
So what you're basically saying is, "he was born on some place that I may or may not have some vague but distant connection to several generations ago, so I must hate him and be inspired by his failure. It's inspiring to see somebody fail and see their hopes and dreams crushed because he happens to come from some country on the other side of the planet that I don't like mainly because I've been pre-programmed by nurture to do so", or something to that effect?

I've never understood how patriotism works.

auscyclefan94 said:
Ahhhh, we kept on churning out talents after the Olympics. You are clearly mistaken.

Not as many since the funding was reduced. The crucial words that you missed there were 'as many'.

Granted there have still been some new Australian cyclists but, and take note here. There have not been as many. The results of the beijing olympics versus the sydney games also highlight this.

Please note I haven't said Australia didn't win any medals or didn't produce any talent. I'd hate for you to have to text a radio station unnecessarily.

MadonePro

BANNED
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So what you're basically saying is, "he was born on some place that I may or may not have some vague but distant connection to several generations ago, so I must hate him and be inspired by his failure. It's inspiring to see somebody fail and see their hopes and dreams crushed because he happens to come from some country on the other side of the planet that I don't like mainly because I've been pre-programmed by nurture to do so", or something to that effect?

No, i've lived there, spending over 15 years there. It's cold, wet, miserable, and that's just the people...
England has for many years had this irrational desire to rule others, and repress most. We are the convicts that grew to create a better world, where mateship is the most important thing, and kicking *** when we challenge those that proport to be our masters.

Libertine Seguros said:

"Patriotism in sport is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Patriotism in sport is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of Patriotism in sport as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions "

A

Anonymous

MadonePro said:
No, i've lived there, spending over 15 years there. It's cold, wet, miserable, and that's just the people...
England has for many years had this irrational desire to rule others, and repress most. We are the convicts that grew to create a better world, where mateship is the most important thing, and kicking *** when we challenge those that proport to be our masters.

You obviously lived in the wrong place. Where i lived we had plenty of sunshine, temperatures similar and often better than northern france/brittany and the people were lovely. As for australians creating a better world of mateship, I think for the best part of a century most native australians would disagree with you. ;) Most brits I know wish australia was nothing to do with us, in our minds you are worse than americans.

Im actually struggling of one single thing that australia has done to impact in, or benefit the world. Youve not invented anything, not had any great leaders, youve built a pretty opera house, and have a large lump of rock. :p

As for the australians.. Hope their girls sprint team is pleased with themselves for beating a couple of amateur scottish schoolgirls to the gold medal :D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
MadonePro said:

Maybe but we see you as a insecure people who have to constantly belittle others (especially brits) to make yourselves feel better. The weather ,the food ,the beer blah blah.
If the UK is so crap how come we can't move for aussies?

The irony is you always harp on about brits being whingers when you are truely world class at it. Every time you lose at something out come all the excuses and moans, after the last olympics it was the dastardly brits are spending all this money and it's not fair! I did not see you complaining when BC was on a shoestring and the riders would recieve one jersey and told to wash it before giving it back.
It's just sport people, Get a grip. No-one gives a *** really.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MadonePro said:

Dream on you feckin tosser.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
Maybe but we see you as a insecure people who have to constantly belittle others (especially brits) to make yourselves feel better. The weather ,the food ,the beer blah blah.
If the UK is so crap how come we can't move for aussies?

The irony is you always harp on about brits being whingers when you are truely world class at it. Every time you lose at something out come all the excuses and moans, after the last olympics it was the dastardly brits are spending all this money and it's not fair! I did not see you complaining when BC was on a shoestring and the riders would recieve one jersey and told to wash it before giving it back.
It's just sport people, Get a grip. No-one gives a *** really.

Well said.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
A few pages back I didn't think it was possible for this thread to deteriorate further but it has.

I don't see fun or humor in the practice of throwing out insults in order to get a reaction, and I doubt I ever will. Seems to me it always turns nasty.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Im actually struggling of one single thing that australia has done to impact in, or benefit the world.
They brought a hot snowboard chick to the 2010 Games so for a week anyway they made BC a better place. They, or at least their aboriginal forebearers, invented the boomerang, which would be a useful hunting tool if I ever ran out of bullets, arrows, knives, sticks, rocks, and rubber bands. They also invented the didgeridoo, and if you've ever seen the wannabe hippies sitting on the streets of Victoria BC playing that stupid 'instrument' and expecting handouts you would instantly curse the land of Fosters. But they did invent the refrigerator, and considering that I keep my beer chilled therein I am forever grateful to our Aussie brothers and sisters. So hats off to Australia and to Britain, but remember that the more you talk about yourselves the less secure you appear to others.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
They brought a hot snowboard chick to the 2010 Games so for a week anyway they made BC a better place. They, or at least their aboriginal forebearers, invented the boomerang, which would be a useful hunting tool if I ever ran out of bullets, arrows, knives, sticks, rocks, and rubber bands. They also invented the didgeridoo, and if you've ever seen the wannabe hippies sitting on the streets of Victoria BC playing that stupid 'instrument' and expecting handouts you would instantly curse the land of Fosters. But they did invent the refrigerator, and considering that I keep my beer chilled therein I am forever grateful to our Aussie brothers and sisters. So hats off to Australia and to Britain, but remember that the more you talk about yourselves the less secure you appear to others.

Actually, according to my research the idea of artificial cooling was first invented by William Cullen of Glasgow Univeristy in 1748. And in 1804 American Oliver Evans took his ideas and designed a fully working refrigerator. Jacob Perkins an Anglo/American built a working machine in 1834, and then American John Gorrie in 1844 built what is the first known practical refrigerator based on Evans's designs. By 1844 Australians were still rattling around in chains and had more pressing issues than inventing the fridge.

My only assumption can be that Cullen was sent to Australia for stealing fridge parts and the Aussies have consequentially claimed him as one of their own, or theyve got muddled somewhere and think (cadel) evans invented the fridge.

So theyve given us the boomerang, and a hot snowboard chick. :rolleyes: Australia is officially as pointless as Norfolk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS