• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why are my comments on CN articles ALWAYS awaiting moderation????

comments

too i always see 'comment awaiting moderation'..................never does get moderated.............my posts are perceived to be too dull

i contacted a mod who informed me i must email danny

but at the time i guess he was too busy jettting around with lance

Mark L

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had this too after pointing out some poor grammar in an article written by the Managing Editor.

The article was corrected 5 mins later and my post removed.

Every article I now comment on is "awaiting moderation".

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Was it you who emailed last night? Sometimes comments and those that make them can be blocked automatically if there are a certain number of reports over their posts. It's not something we tend to intervene with as we (editorial) don't have the time...

I've had a look and it seems you were blocked. It's now undone. I don't know if that means your comments will appear again or not or if one more report will trigger another ban.

Cheers

Dan

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
It's a pretty odd system and different to the forums... We had a really bad problem with Spam on the comments section a year ago, maybe. Here are some of the words we had to filter out because of it, so if you use these terms - or those like them - you're message will probably not appear. It was during a time when the Spam would read 'my uncle got a new job and now....."

classmate
step-mum
mother
step-mother
step-aunt
uncle
step-uncle
step-dad
sisters

You could probably get away with mutha****** though.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Daniel Benson said:
Was it you who emailed last night? Sometimes comments and those that make them can be blocked automatically if there are a certain number of reports over their posts. It's not something we tend to intervene with as we (editorial) don't have the time...

I've had a look and it seems you were blocked. It's now undone. I don't know if that means your comments will appear again or not or if one more report will trigger another ban.

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for your response and yes I did e mail you last night. However I think you need to be upfront to your readership about how the blocking system works as in all respects it was far from automatic in this instance.

It seems to me that you are trying to play down the involvement that you and your team have in the comment vetting process.

The article (written by you) had poor grammar which I pointed out in a comment underneath it. Within 5 minutes my comment was removed and the article amended to include the grammar I had suggested!!!!!! In this case a comma. That sounds far from automatic and more akin to somebody at CN taking offence to being corrected on their use of the English language.

I don't really care if I am banned if I am really honest.

However the most appropriate way of dealing with this is to thank your readership for pointing this out and to work on improving the grammar and spelling of your articles within your organisation. After all your site is dependant on your readership and associated sponsorship.

The wrong way of dealing with it is to punish your readership with a ban and heavy moderation and when you are called on it to blame it on an "automatic" feature of your comment moderating software.

Daniel Benson said:
It's a pretty odd system and different to the forums... We had a really bad problem with Spam on the comments section a year ago, maybe. Here are some of the words we had to filter out because of it, so if you use these terms - or those like them - you're message will probably not appear. It was during a time when the Spam would read 'my uncle got a new job and now....."

classmate
step-mum
mother
step-mother
step-aunt
uncle
step-uncle
step-dad
sisters

You could probably get away with mutha****** though.

I know what spam-bot-thingies you're referring to, and man are those a pain in a certain part of the human anatomy?
However, you might wanna... you know... not authomatically filter those words; there are people who talk about various relatives without it being weird money-making-schemes. :)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
I had this too after pointing out some poor grammar in an article written by the Managing Editor.

The article was corrected 5 mins later and my post removed.

Every article I now comment on is "awaiting moderation".
I created a brand new account, yet all of mine - since my first post - are saying " Awaiting Moderation".

What a joke. I guess only trolls and knob-polishers are allowed to post.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
ShinySprocket said:
I created a brand new account, yet all of mine - since my first post - are saying " Awaiting Moderation".

What a joke. I guess only trolls and knob-polishers are allowed to post.

I haven't checked back on this for a while but I am guessing from the deafening silence from Daniel Benson he doesn't want to discuss it.

Says it all really..................draw your own conclusions from it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think a comment of mine on the "Cult Energy parts ways with manager Weyland" got lost in the moderation process. It was not offensive and someone else's comment, posted after mine, appears but not mine?

bonnyc

Administrator
Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry there have been ongoing problems with the comment system and general commenting process on the site. We are aware that its not working well for a variety of reasons, though the main problem is the automation it seems.

We've not been able to fix the issues yet because the team has moved and re-structured over the past few months, and those of us who are new (like me) are still getting up to speed. Unfortunately this has delayed fixing problems like this.

Part of my role is to understand how our readers want to use the site, and work with them and our team to make the site better for everyone. In the short term, we'll be launching a new site design, and once that is out of the way, I will be working with you all more directly to address issues like commenting.

In the meantime, if you have problems commenting on the site, or with other areas, please leave us feedback either here on the forum or using our feedback form. Leaving feedback on the form guarantees I see it (where as here on the forum there is a chance I may miss it). You can leave feedback here: http://bit.ly/CyclingNews.

Once again, we're really sorry about the technical problems with the comments.

-Bonny