• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why did ASO give Team Type 1 Two invites?

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Type 1 is a strong Pro Con team, but it lacks a leader or contender for the classics. So why did ASO invite Type 1 to both Fleche and Liege?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Because Jure Kocjan is going to win both.
I wish but it is probably more gotta do with the fact that they're so ethical and the whole diabetes thing about how they help people with their diets (hence name and also al lot of riders and staff have type one diabetes)

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sure, he's a strong all-rounder and took 4th in Strade Bianchi last year. But he'll be on his own, and the choice means overlooking An Post, EuropCar, etc.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
ASO like to share the invites around and give most* of the Pro Conti teams at least a couple of WT races

(*the Italians are generally catered for by the Italians)

yap-yap said:
Sure, he's a strong all-rounder and took 4th in Strade Bianchi last year. But he'll be on his own, and the choice means overlooking An Post, EuropCar, etc.

they do have quite a reasonable team, Colli is a rider with similar stenghts, El Fares is a decent rider with experience in all kind of races and guys like Bodrogi or Bertogliatti are still good riders in general.

In my opinion it's a good descision to give them a wildcard, these are the races they are most qualified for and it's not like An Post would offer a superiour team

Froome19 said:
I wish but it is probably more gotta do with the fact that they're so ethical and the whole diabetes thing about how they help people with their diets (hence name and also al lot of riders and staff have type one diabetes)

There have been some stories about their ethics that make them sound a lot less positive.

That said, they have a decent but unspectacular roster, could get some decent placings, have some half decent French riders in Antomarchi and El Fares, and at least it isn't Rusvelo again.

search said:
they do have quite a reasonable team, Colli is a rider with similar stenghts, El Fares is a decent rider with experience in all kind of races and guys like Bodrogi or Bertogliatti are still good riders in general.

In my opinion it's a good descision to give them a wildcard, these are the races they are most qualified for and it's not like An Post would offer a superiour team

Not to mention that An Post aren't eligible to ride a World Tour race.