• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why did the Vuelta a CHihuahua die?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Walshworld said:
For four years it was a week long stage race, then this year they went to a one day downtown criterium (that Vino won). Kinda sad but I never heard any reason why they discontinued the stage race. Lack of dinero, fan suport, shortage of fish tacos?
http://www.atwistedspoke.com/

I'd like to know too....

I mean, body armor is pretty light these days, so it shouldn't be hard to wear while riding a bike!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
because there is already vuelta mexico that is back since 2 years that have big ambitions. chiahuahua now puts all the money to get this huge criterium with stars all over the world

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Vuelta de Chihuahua

I read that it was because the police would not or could not guarantee the riders safety. Hell, they can't even guarantee theirs. The cartel/warlords/druglords assured the promotors and Mexican cycling federation that here would be no trouble. But in the wild west that is Sinaloa, Sonora and Chihuahua States in Mexico now, those assurances meant nothing!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
bottlcaps said:
I read that it was because the police would not or could not guarantee the riders safety. Hell, they can't even guarantee theirs. The cartel/warlords/druglords assured the promotors and Mexican cycling federation that here would be no trouble. But in the wild west that is Sinaloa, Sonora and Chihuahua States in Mexico now, those assurances meant nothing!

Sounds plausible. A certain Drug Lord has more power in Mexico than the president of Mexico anyway.