• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why is ok for some riders but not all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here:
Most in the clinic agree that Lance cheated, but some feel others don't. Why do you feel that way?

I think all of the riders at the pro tour level are on some program. Even the "clean teams" cheat.

I understand the hatred toward Lance. I think he is the type that would cheat at a board game if it would help him win. I don't think he has many redeeming qualities and should lose all that he gained from his crimes.

I like watching cycling, but when a rider pops positive I want him to be made an example of. I don't care who he is. He made his bed, he should sleep in it. The rules should be the same for every pro tour rider. It is too bad if it is a false positive,(yeah right). Suck it up. If they want a reduced suspension they have to tell about all the people involved in their positive.

"everybody cheats, papa"
Dave Stoler

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
gobuck said:
Help me out here:
Most in the clinic agree that Lance cheated, but some feel others don't. Why do you feel that way?

I'm not sure who you mean exactly, but you're painting with a wide brush.

If I ever sound like I feel certain others have NOT cheated... it's probably because I trust them more. I have little reason not to believe them. They're past actions and behavior have been such that I give them the benefit of doubt.

The ones I accuse of cheating... it's because (over time and through many actions) I have lost trust in.

Heck, I'VE cheated. I've intentionally broken the center-line rule to advance my position before a climb. I've let air out of my tires before junior roll-out. I've put my hands on other riders (not the way Casey allegedly did it to Saunders). I've sat-up on the velodrome to help a friend up ahead.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
if you want the real answer pro cycling drug tests are like 3 games of Wheel Of Fortune going on at one time . 1st wheel spinning is the rider..will he get a result and get tested for his great ride. will he get to peepee for just a random selection ?. 2nd will the lab be on that day..is it set to micro,pico,nano? it's all in the grams. How long ago did you eat or inject the help ?. 3rd wheel..does the UCI already have the crap quota met for that event or time frame? Too many positives ruins the brand and creates revenue problems for everybody from the TV,newspapers, magazines, websites, to the federation itself. It also cuts the legs off of any sponsor or team deal that is under development. Lance and others un-caught are in the right place at the right time depending on how you look at it. I am sure that LA is sitting there wondering how he got away with it also..but it served everybody's interests at a very specific moment in time. They say it's better to be lucky than good Armstrong knows the virtue of both conditions.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How much did they steal.

It comes down to "how much prestige did they steal?".

I don't know much about cycling, but from what I read here, winning the most prestigous race in cycling 7 consecutive years makes Armstrong effectively the "Goat" (greatest of all time) cyclist. This in spite of the fact that very few knowledgeable fans believe that he deserves that accolade.

So, in all likelyhood, Armstrong has stolen more prestige (probably money as well), than any cyclist ever has. If Lance hadn't been so greedy, people would not have made as much of a fuss.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gobuck said:
Help me out here:

I think all of the riders at the pro tour level are on some program. Even the "clean teams" cheat.

I understand the hatred toward Lance. I think he is the type that would cheat at a board game if it would help him win. I don't think he has many redeeming qualities and should lose all that he gained from his crimes.

I like watching cycling, but when a rider pops positive I want him to be made an example of. I don't care who he is. He made his bed, he should sleep in it. The rules should be the same for every pro tour rider. It is too bad if it is a false positive,(yeah right). Suck it up. If they want a reduced suspension they have to tell about all the people involved in their positive.

"everybody cheats, papa"
Dave Stoler

Different rules for different riders. Sometimes it is a bout nationality, sometimes pay off, sometimes personality, sponsors many factors I don't know. I love Botero, Lance, Sevilla, DiLucca, Contador, Simoni. I even liked Tyler till he did not return his medal. Does it matter to me if they cheated? Not. I even like Dario Frigo and Iban Mayo. No prob, enjoy the spectacle!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Check out the video of Lance shoving an innocent bystander out of his way at TDU, flipping him off and then shoving a photographer's camera for having taken his picture...nice guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsqS-mY3jI&feature=player_embedded

He spits on the sport. The sport that pays him. Now where have I heard that before?

If I was an athlete or anyone disrespected me obviously I would react. Sorry Lance popped your bublle of niceness. Try riding a long stage after 15 others and tell me you want to be nice to others breaking rules.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
If I was an athlete or anyone disrespected me obviously I would react. Sorry Lance popped your bublle of niceness. Try riding a long stage after 15 others and tell me you want to be nice to others breaking rules.

I mean come on. I know the purpose is to find fault with Lance.
But really knowing what you know about Lance, the Tour and the douschness of athletes, pro cyclists amatuer cyclists, athletes in general would you expect any different reaction to people in un-authorized areas ie: gawkers.

A

Anonymous

What is it recently with threads starting with an initial post that could easily be put in another thread, or even better, just not said at all.

edit: not to worry, just found out why.
2s7g7ia.png

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Different rules for different riders. Sometimes it is a bout nationality, sometimes pay off, sometimes personality, sponsors many factors I don't know. I love Botero, Lance, Sevilla, DiLucca, Contador, Simoni. I even liked Tyler till he did not return his medal. Does it matter to me if they cheated? Not. I even like Dario Frigo and Iban Mayo. No prob, enjoy the spectacle!

How could you manage to leave Rumsas off that list???

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

oh flickie i bet you would have loved that, lancey to rub against you hey...:rolleyes:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
oh flickie i bet you would have loved that, lancey to rub against you hey...:rolleyes:

Its alright B. Next time you finish working OT and have some guy running behind you with his video camara or i phone going benotti benotti benotti, how did you like that OT work week over and over and then have some other guy going benotti with a camara in your face put yourself in that place...
I know to us it looks like a lot of fun riding bikes by French Chautaues aND fields of sunflowers and pretty french girls giving us hugs and kisses......

BB I wasn't refering to you. Berzin comes to mind 1st. I agree with his Lance view but he isn't consistent with the rest of the pro tour riders. The way I see it, if Pat and the UCI don't like you, you are positive. Game over. Pat should go, along with the rest of the dopers.

This thred can die.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS