• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggo, how big a pay rise?

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
In one race he has raised perception of his level from "could win prologue or time trial" to "potential top anglophone stage racer" so in the premier league now. Now in a different position at contract renewal time. (And well deserved I might add)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alan Quay said:
In one race he has raised perception of his level from "could win prologue or time trial" to "potential top anglophone stage racer" so in the premier league now. Now in a different position at contract renewal time. (And well deserved I might add)

He's certainly raised his profile in a way that few people expected. However, cycling is not like soccer to continue your premier league analogy. It's not normal to sit down in the middle of a contract and renegotiate it, unlike those overpaid primadonna's rolling around stadia in England.

My understanding is that if Wiggins wants more money, he will have to buy himself out of his existing contract, then renegotiate with JV or anybody else interested in signing him up. If he only signed a one year contract then happy days for Brad!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Not sure when his contract is up, but he'll have to wait until then for a pay rise.

But I'm sure he'll be able to negotiate better endorsement deals which should help the bank balance.