• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will it be business as usual for European cycling fans?

The USADA report has exposed failings of the authorities to combat doping in the sport.

Does the typical Northern European cycling fan care?

Will we have the usual masses for Paris Roubaix and Tour of Flanders cheering on the "new clean" breed of rider?

Do they care?

Could protests / demonstrations / race disruptions occur?

How much does your typical Belgian value a clean winner over a cheat?

Basecase said:
The USADA report has exposed failings of the authorities to combat doping in the sport.

Will we have the usual masses for Paris Roubaix and Tour of Flanders cheering on the "new clean" breed of rider?

Do they care?

I think that pro cycling will continue to retain the fans who have supported the sport despite its decades-long legacy of doping. The Armstrong episode is just another chapter in the ongoing pro cycling saga. It's happened before and it will happen again.

A lot of fans just don't care about doping. In my State (Washington, USA), the announcers positively shone with joy when announcing that a football player's dope suspension was reversed because of a sample-handling error.

I think that doping limits pro cycling and always will. That limitation keeps cycling a "good old boy's club" managed by a small clique of insiders.

Basecase said:

Do they care?

I've no idea what a typical Northern European cycling fan is or even less what a typical Belgian is. Or who 'they' are. Care to be a bit less insulting next time please.

ferryman said:
I've no idea what a typical Northern European cycling fan is or even less what a typical Belgian is. Or who 'they' are. Care to be a bit less insulting next time please.

I'm talking about the passionate fans that throng the routes of the great classics in Spring. Not being insultingin the slightest. Not sure why you are picking that up.

What have I said that is so insulting?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Basecase said:
I'm talking about the passionate fans that throng the routes of the great classics in Spring. Not being insultingin the slightest. Not sure why you are picking that up.

What have I said that is so insulting?
They are just to dumb, drunk and stupid to realise what is going on. They will chear for Tommeke, Philleke, or any other name untill the beertap is empty.

Do people really think those guys on the Koppenberg or the Forrest of Wallers know exactly who doctor Jose Taus is? They do not give a flying fu@k.

Bread and games is what it is about.

I used the Belgians because no way a Dutchman is going to be succesfull in any classic this year.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
They are just to dumb, drunk and stupid to realise what is going on. They will chear for Tommeke, Philleke, or any other name untill the beertap is empty.

Do people really think those guys on the Koppenberg or the Forrest of Wallers know exactly who doctor Jose Taus is? They do not give a flying fu@k.

Bread and games is what it is about.

I used the Belgians because no way a Dutchman is going to be succesfull in any classic this year.
Ha, thats what I was about to post - basically as long as there is beer and chips available the Belgians will be there.

@Basecase - I dont understand what you are really asking. Do you think that the number of people who stand on the side of a road is somehow reflective of whether people want a doping or a clean performance?

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I seperated the racing and the BS years ago because whatever else is going on, it's a beautiful sport. Armstrong changed the sport but it won't change what I think about cycling.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Basecase said:
Is it too much to ask that cycling fans expect a clean sport?

Otherwise what's the point? Just to woooo at Tomeke's aerodynamic clothing, flashy bike, and tanned legs?
I would hope not.
But you have apparently confused "cycling fans" with people who spectate a sport.

But why single out the northern Europeans? I was at the Vuelta on Peña Cabarga in 2011 among thousands joyfully cheering on Juanjo Cobo on his local roads and in 2012 with the most popular riders being Valverde and Contador. Well, and anybody in orange while the race was in Navarre and País Vasco. The 2009 Giro went through Abruzzo and the fans booed Garzelli for outsprinting di Luca at a summit for mountain points. The US fans wilfully looked the other way on Armstrong for more than a decade and it is not entirely unlikely that the UK fans are doing the same on Sky as we speak. There's a lot of people out there who'll believe what they want to believe to keep them happy, and ultimately we all watch the sport for entertainment. At País Vasco and the Vuelta stages through the Basque country, the fans were cheering on anybody and everybody who passed them. They could be 20, 25, 30 minutes off the pace, the fans would be shouting their names and pushing them along. The drink may be part of it, but while fans would prefer a clean sport, they're mostly happy to swallow whatever excuse they're given and cheer for the very existence of the sport that entertains them. I mean, how many football fans do you know who are aware of the amount of drug use that goes on there?