• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Sky Train be back?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
toolittle said:
Last year, domestiques lead everyday and drop leaders.
This year, whole train disappear suddenly.

Will they be back after summer holiday?

Absolutely as soon as Vuelta, train depends on the train head, as long as head leader works, the train will be back.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I hope we won't see the Sky '12 level of trains ever again. It kills racing.

Yea, I hope they reduce the number of riders per team in GTs to 7 or 8. Make the teams a little bit weaker and it will be tougher for them to do what Sky did. Hopefully, at least...

Sciocco said:
Yea, I hope they reduce the number of riders per team in GTs to 7 or 8. Make the teams a little bit weaker and it will be tougher for them to do what Sky did. Hopefully, at least...
Sky was de facto an eight man team in 2012, and that's not even considering that they had Cav and Eisel, who only were limited help (especially Cav).

I doubt we would ever see the train like in 2012 as Wiggins will not be going for any more GT's whilst Froome does not need one. Let's not forget Sky aren't the only guys to use a train and it's not a new creation. Look at Nibali in the Tour, his Astana team sat on the front all day and if he was going for a stage they would ride hard until he was ready to attack, same with Movistar and Quintana in the Giro.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I doubt we would ever see the train like in 2012 as Wiggins will not be going for any more GT's whilst Froome does not need one. Let's not forget Sky aren't the only guys to use a train and it's not a new creation. Look at Nibali in the Tour, his Astana team sat on the front all day and if he was going for a stage they would ride hard until he was ready to attack, same with Movistar and Quintana in the Giro.

I actually was more impressed about SAXO train, imagine if Kruizeiger were here, that is one train to be feared of.:eek:

elfed68 said:
Except for the battle for 2nd and further down the order, this Tour has been equally if not more boring, no rider hasn't even had a hope of reaching Nibali.

But I don't agree. Best tour in years for me.
I'm a fan of race action. We got lots of it in this tour from many different riders in various terrain.

Trains kills racing. The concept minimizes the action into 2-3km sprints. Everywhere. Its very dull for a fan like myself.

Sure I would have preferred if Nibali wasn't here, but I was highly entertained almost every day.

I don't like dominance in sports, but I hate the concept of trains.

Moose McKnuckles said:
This is definitely the wrong forum for such a thread.

Train is a racing tactic to control race.

During stage 8 of 2014 Criterium du Dauphine, teams worked together to fix a on-form Contador and froome.

It will be interested to see whether this result will happen again.

Before the tour, I am waiting to see how normal teams to fix sky team. But it didn't happen. Very disappointed.

:p
Of course, it is other forum topic if we talk about Sky train drivers seem to have 100 watts more and instant recovery in 2012 TDF.

TRENDING THREADS