• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will there be a Radio Shack after next season?

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking that 2011 may be the last season for team Radio Shack.
Radio Shacks sponsorship deal ends next season. Their top riders are the end of the time in the saddle (Leipheimer, Horner, Kloden, Papo).
I think that if Brakovic doesn't have a game changing seasonr with some major wins, then there's no way that Bruyneel will be able to get a new sponsor. It's no secret that many of the sponsors were only there because of Lance...Nike, Trek, Nisson, etc.
The first time Lance retired, Bruyneel was able to pull a hat trick and merge with the disgraced Astana. Maybe he can merge with another team who's sponsorship deal is also ending next year (I think Rabobank's deal will be up). Somehow I can't see that happening.
I aplogize if this has already been discussed.

Dimtick said:
I'm thinking that 2011 may be the last season for team Radio Shack.
Radio Shacks sponsorship deal ends next season. Their top riders are the end of the time in the saddle (Leipheimer, Horner, Kloden, Papo).
I think that if Brakovic doesn't have a game changing seasonr with some major wins, then there's no way that Bruyneel will be able to get a new sponsor. It's no secret that many of the sponsors were only there because of Lance...Nike, Trek, Nisson, etc.
The first time Lance retired, Bruyneel was able to pull a hat trick and merge with the disgraced Astana. Maybe he can merge with another team who's sponsorship deal is also ending next year (I think Rabobank's deal will be up). Somehow I can't see that happening.

This is the first time this has come up. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised they're going to have a plum at 2011. I heard a cease date of November this year.

Also Bruyneel will not ride shotgun in 2011. You won't see him at races.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I bet we see the official end of the team by the end of this year.

Indeed JB will not be riding shot-gun. With any luck, he will be ridden another way.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Has already been discussed earlier and the majority of the quality-posters decided that there will be no TeamRS in 2011 ! :D

Yes, 2011. So - not possible that they will ride in 2012. Wait...

Perhaps they'll take next year off and then come back in 2012 with a new sponsor, without even finding a new sponsor. Yeah.
Must be something like that.

But anyway, TeamRS would always be missed by many. To discuss about.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
There will hardly be a team in 2011. A couple of old guys and a bunch of minimum wage guys.......more money for Lance and Johann.

With the exception of some groupies few people will miss a team that seldom wins anything and can barely get in the top 15 of the rankings.

thehog said:

I'm surprised they're going to have a plum at 2011. I heard a cease date of November this year.

Also Bruyneel will not ride shotgun in 2011. You won't see him at races.

I read your posts on this and you made it very clear that Radioshack would not exist in 2011.

So much for believing what you say. Come to think of it you also said Lance wouldnt ride the tour this year.

This to go with posts where you say no team in the world would accept Cav for example.

And when someone agrees with you, this is your responce

despite the fact that the op said this

Nothing wrong with discussing things that have been discussed anyway. What else would we do for the next 4 months.

As for radioshack i doubt they will exist in 2011.

I dont think so, or certainly not in its current format. RadioShack only signed a deal for two years, and I see little reason why they would renew, now that that sponsoring Bruyneel no longer gets them Lance. And I don't see much in the team which would interest a new sponsor. Their best performer this season (Chris Horner) will be turning 40 after next season, and the best performers who will be under the age of 33, Brajkovic and Machado, seem hardly compelling enough for any company to want to stick in a couple of million a year.

That said Bruyneel seems to believe that it will continue, or that he will be able to keep the team alive through other means, or else he wouldn't have signed youngsters like Michal Kwiatkowski, Nelson Oliveira, Ben King or Jess Sergent (and tried for Taylor Phinney).

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think that RS will ride next season, but then what?
I've been watching the transfer news expecting bruyneel to pick up a big name gc to take over for Lance. The fact that it hasn't happened doesn't look good for the team. Clearly everybody, including Bruyneel, expected Phinney to stick with the team but clearly he sees the writing on the wall.

if RS comes to an end I could see Bruyneel taking over as coach for another struggling squad. Sky comes to mind. Sky has a lot of money without anythign to show for it. They could really benifit from Bruyneels talent. What would be his first choice? Dump Wiggins.....but that's the subject of another discussion......which has probably happened......

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I hope they are around for the riders sake!! Especially since I really want the young Ben King to get some good experience. I may hate Armstrong, the Hog, and everything about them...but I can still hope the team survives in 2011 so some riders can race and earn a paycheck.

A

Anonymous

Dimtick said:
if RS comes to an end I could see Bruyneel taking over as coach for another struggling squad. Sky comes to mind. Sky has a lot of money without anythign to show for it. They could really benifit from Bruyneels talent. What would be his first choice? Dump Wiggins.....but that's the subject of another discussion......which has probably happened......

If bruyneel went to sky that would immediately put pay to all sky's claims of trying to win fairly. Will never ever happen. Maybe i should write a pre-prepared statement announcing the closure of the fansite just in case.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
If bruyneel went to sky that would immediately put pay to all sky's claims of trying to win fairly. Will never ever happen. Maybe i should write a pre-prepared statement announcing the closure of the fansite just in case.
Stranger things have happened. Look at this whole Saxo situation. I gotta admit, your reaction to that would definitely be entertaining.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
despite any claims to the contrary Sky needs some check marks in the win column. The harsh reality is that wins trump any concerns over Bruyneels methods.

sorry, i'm getting off topic.....

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Q: Where will the RS riders be in 2011?

A: In minimum securiity, most likely. Look for them along the side of major highways, they'll be the ones picking up trash in orange vests. One of the young riders will pick up the most trash, but Bruyneel will lie, fudge the results sheet, and tell Lance that he's still the best :p

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The had a couple of decent riders this year but the race tactics by and large must of been thought up by a 12 year old.

Brazcovic had an up and down year but rode really well at the worlds so definatley something there with him. Horner is a good rider but getting on. As for the other riders there I'm not particularly bothered about them.

A

Anonymous

Dimtick said:
despite any claims to the contrary Sky needs some check marks in the win column. The harsh reality is that wins trump any concerns over Bruyneels methods.

How many wins did Bruyneel get this year?

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Didn't they get a 4-year license? A Pro Tour license is a valuable asset so I'm sure the team organization will continue in some format even if it's pretty unrecognizable.

Dimtick said:

I think you'll find that Sky had more wins than Radioshack this year. Like TSF quite rightly said i cannot see Sky ever hiring Bruyneel.

A

Anonymous

I think it more likely that Bruyneel and his pro tour licence (or whatever the company is that owns it, bruyneel/lance etc) just merge with a pro-cont team that has an existing sponsor but needs a pt licence..

TeamSkyFans said:
I think it more likely that Bruyneel and his pro tour licence (or whatever the company is that owns it, bruyneel/lance etc) just merge with a pro-cont team that has an existing sponsor but needs a pt licence..

Well done, Dim, for somehow keeping this on-topic! Good luck with your 'cross this weekend. Oops, I went OT... :p

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
adamski101 said:
I think you'll find that Sky had more wins than Radioshack this year. Like TSF quite rightly said i cannot see Sky ever hiring Bruyneel.

In this close case you also have a look at the quality - not only quantity ;)

You and me man. Let's take this world.

The Hitch said:
I read your posts on this and you made it very clear that Radioshack would not exist in 2011.

So much for believing what you say. Come to think of it you also said Lance wouldnt ride the tour this year.

This to go with posts where you say no team in the world would accept Cav for example.

And when someone agrees with you, this is your responce

despite the fact that the op said this

Nothing wrong with discussing things that have been discussed anyway. What else would we do for the next 4 months.

As for radioshack i doubt they will exist in 2011.

TRENDING THREADS