• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Windows 10 ...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded it a few days ago.

At least the start button in the corner is back with a search function. That's a big plus over 8.

I've had no problems so far.

The Microsoft Edge browser is an upgrade over the previous IE one. Nice design to it. Easy to use. Just make sure to change the default search away from Bing. Something I must do yet myself.

I got my invite to schedule the 10 download, but I'm going to wait to see if there are bugs and fixes before I push go. Gooner, did you just click download or did you go through all of the precautionary steps before you pushed download. From what I've heard/read so far, the precautionary steps aren't necessary.

8.1.1 has been fine for me. I was a little worried when I had to replace my XP machine because of all of the negative news about 8, but I never had any issues. If I had a touch screen I think that Metro Tiles would be great, with a mouse and keys though I just run in desktop mode. I'm wondering if my work PC will get 10 since they are 7 now. If so, I can play with it at work for a while to help me decide if I want it at home. The techs like to surprise us so 10 could appear any morning. :)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
I got my invite to schedule the 10 download, but I'm going to wait to see if there are bugs and fixes before I push go. Gooner, did you just click download or did you go through all of the precautionary steps before you pushed download. From what I've heard/read so far, the precautionary steps aren't necessary.

8.1.1 has been fine for me. I was a little worried when I had to replace my XP machine because of all of the negative news about 8, but I never had any issues. If I had a touch screen I think that Metro Tiles would be great, with a mouse and keys though I just run in desktop mode. I'm wondering if my work PC will get 10 since they are 7 now. If so, I can play with it at work for a while to help me decide if I want it at home. The techs like to surprise us so 10 could appear any morning. :)

I accepted the invite a couple of weeks before it was made available. When it was released the next time I was online, it started downloading itself. It went through the lengthy process from there with restarting and then copying the files. I let the laptop on over night.

Not so sure about work PCs getting it. I'm using Windows 7 at work as well and nothing has popped up so far.

10 is better than 8 for me. The desktop and the apps can be accessed all on the one screen with the start and search buttons and you don't have to switch back to the apps on a separate one like in 8.

Re: Re:

gooner said:
jmdirt said:

I accepted the invite a couple of weeks before it was made available. When it was released the next time I was online, it started downloading itself. It went through the lengthy process from there with restarting and then copying the files. I let the laptop on over night.

Not so sure about work PCs getting it. I'm using Windows 7 at work as well and nothing has popped up so far.

10 is better than 8 for me. The desktop and the apps can be accessed all on the one screen with the start and search buttons and you don't have to switch back to the apps on a separate one like in 8.

Interesting. I accepted the invitation about a month ago and now about once a day it reminds me that '10 is ready, do I want to upgrade or schedule to upgrade'. cnet encouraged backing everything up before upgrading but it doesn't sound like you had that option.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Berzin said:
I had Windows 8.1 on a laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 earlier today.

I didn't have to back up any of my data. Everything remained where it was-this includes data, bookmarks, and all passwords to different sites.

Same for me.

c3P8LVD.jpg

gooner said:
Berzin said:

I didn't have to back up any of my data. Everything remained where it was-this includes data, bookmarks, and all passwords to different sites.

Same for me.

Took the plunge and did one of my machines earlier from Win 7. Wow this is one nice OS, and faster. Kids laptops next ...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:

I do too, but have decided to wait till I get back home next week and can do a proper backup because, you know, sh!t happens.

Tricycle Rider said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Do I have 10? No. Want 10? Not so much. I'm done with Windows. Mac is next for me.
Hon, are you sure you are financially set enough to go over to the dark side? (And by that I mean Macs.. I think they upgrade every six months now, or something.)

Yes. Here's one data point for example. I was looking for a Surface Pro 2 or 3, and compared that to the Macbook Pro Air. The Surface was about $300 cheaper at Best Buy, but the Office and Anti-virus software were by subscription only (about $60/each or $120 annually for subscriptions). While the Macbook was more expensive, it came with all the software, and no subscriptions. So with a Surface, in 2 to 3 years I'd have as much invested the the Surface as the Macbook. I bought the Macbook and am glad I did. So when my 2012 Windows tower dies or slows down too much I'll be ready to pony up the extra for the Mac. Not sure which one yet. But video editing on Mac is much better and easier than in Windows, even if you spend over $100 for decent video software for Windows (I currently use Sony's Vegas Movie Studio Platinum). When my current video projects are finished I will be ready to dump Windows, probably for good.

As long as we are on software, not happy with Norton either. I have Norton 360, which included a registry cleaning utility. The latest major update removed this tool, which really helped keep the PC running fast. They told me registry cleaner did not get much use in Norton 360 (riiiiight, not so much. More like more $$$ for them). So now you have to purchase a separate Symantec Utilities package that includes the registry cleaner.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Would've preferred XP forever and ever, personally. Am currently on some sort of version of 8.

Am not willing to "upgrade" to any sort of 10 version they may come up with.
this,this and this!
I have xp on my old desktop and its still the best.I use W8 for few years now on my laptop but its pretty mehh :mad:

ILovecycling said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Would've preferred XP forever and ever, personally. Am currently on some sort of version of 8.

Am not willing to "upgrade" to any sort of 10 version they may come up with.
this,this and this!
I have xp on my old desktop and its still the best.I use W8 for few years now on my laptop but its pretty mehh :mad:
I suffered through Vista (still have it on my desktop), and remember the days of upgrading from Win95 to 98. Heh. I really liked XP the best, wish they would have just left it there.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I did the update two days ago, and apart from an occasional "freezing mouse" everything seems okay.

But like others here.. I miss the XP...

I don't understand how everything has to be so app(ish)...
But this is much better than 8.1 though..

Re:

mrhender said:
I did the update two days ago, and apart from an occasional "freezing mouse" everything seems okay.

But like others here.. I miss the XP...

I don't understand how everything has to be so app(ish)...
But this is much better than 8.1 though..

Why doesn't the boys and girls at MicrSoft just buy a Mac laptop with OSX, copy that and be done with it?

TRENDING THREADS