• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Work Stands for the Home Mechanic

my neighbour 2 doors down has approached me for advice on buying a repair stand for home use

he is a park tools guy which is fine
they make some great stuff

at work we have 2 of these in the workshop that i like and can't complain about

wP1SkOR.jpg

he asked me what we use in the workshop and I told him the above
he is hell bent on the portable stands that he saw the mechanic's in the tour using
like this

D8VM8bc.jpg

i've never used one
we don't have them in our shop

i can only comment on what i've used and I'm advising him to go with the clamp style stand like this one as its all i know
lDpxy1V.jpg

but now I'm wondering if the portable isn't such a bad option

he has deep pockets
loads of space in his garage
and quite a nice collection of tools that i'm kinda envious of

anyways
wondering if you guys and girls wouldn't mind commenting on personal experience with these stands
why choose one over the other

pros and cons

i like our shop stand as you can clamp in various spots on the bike
easily work around the bike from all angles
leave the front wheel in
the tool tray is nice
but I have most of my go-to tools in my apron when i'm working

thanks of you can help me out
well
thanks of you can help my neighbour out

Portable stands are great for limited space but like you I always preferred a solid base stand, which IMO is best for a crowded space with people moving around.

For an area that you have to pack up every time, go for the folding stand I guess. You can get them with a clamp as well as fork mounts, depends on your preference.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
JRS
Of the 3 pictures you show the last is what I have been using for 15 years and the middle is what I want. for most jobs the top and bottom ones do everything we generally need but for some jobs the middle one is better especially working on the frame itself and general cleaning of the frame. Ido not like the clamp types on some carbon frames as they can crush the tubes if you are not very careful.

Re:

Master50 said:
JRS
Of the 3 pictures you show the last is what I have been using for 15 years and the middle is what I want. for most jobs the top and bottom ones do everything we generally need but for some jobs the middle one is better especially working on the frame itself and general cleaning of the frame. Ido not like the clamp types on some carbon frames as they can crush the tubes if you are not very careful.

I have the middle one. It's great for my use. Very solid. But I get that in a shop, they will want to be able to quickly throw a bike in so may prefer the ones that clamp a tube, but for the home mechanic that isn't so much of an issue.

Re:

42x16ss said:
Portable stands are great for limited space but like you I always preferred a solid base stand, which IMO is best for a crowded space with people moving around.

For an area that you have to pack up every time, go for the folding stand I guess. You can get them with a clamp as well as fork mounts, depends on your preference.

thanks for the reply 42

yes
i have a (non park tool) stand in my garage that uses a clamp style to hold the bike and completely folds down to pack away if needed or ease of transport

i always have it up as it's ideal to come back from a ride
clamp the bike up
clean / lube or remove accessories from the bike etc

Re:

Master50 said:
JRS

thanks for the reply Master50

yes
park tools latest models of clamp style stands have more of a softer micro adjusting clamp than the older models

we have the older style and have a collection of foam packing material in a bin in the workshop specifically for use on carbon frames or unusual frame / seatpost shapes

i'm not sure what it is
but we also have some dense blue material like sorbathane (sp) that we can work around the frame(s) for use in the stand and will return to it's original shape after use
very handy

King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Old thread but this one is nice, portable.
Looks a lot like the Park one upthread, seems very popular with on site mechanics. How high does it go? Looks like a compromise if you are looking for something for in your home.

This just arrived:

PCS-10_008.jpg
Looks cool enough to me, anyway.

Just make sure you're equalizing the legs of the stand, and all its respective parts enough (and at the correct angle) so the bike doesn't end up toppling all over you.

No worries, hon, I do this with my stand all of the time. :cool:

Tricycle Rider said:
King Boonen said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Old thread but this one is nice, portable.
Looks a lot like the Park one upthread, seems very popular with on site mechanics. How high does it go? Looks like a compromise if you are looking for something for in your home.

This just arrived:

PCS-10_008.jpg
Looks cool enough to me, anyway.

Just make sure you're equalizing the legs of the stand, and all its respective parts enough (and at the correct angle) so the bike doesn't end up toppling all over you.

No worries, hon, I do this with my stand all of the time. :cool:

You get no choice with this stand. The legs lock in place with spring buttons, as does the main trunk so the base is always the same.

Used it a couple of times now, works brilliantly! :)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I'd rather pay someone else to repair my bike for me. It's more efficient because repairing my bike myself would take me longer than the time it takes to earn the money.

Those portable stands look very cool, let us know how it works out. I've been very, very happy with it as I've not managed to amputate another finger! I got a free, cheap stand from a friend to use at my girlfriends too. It's not as well put together as the Park and you have to be a bit more careful as it's not as sturdy, but it certainly does the job so I'd recommend everyone get a stand, no matter how cheap. When I don't need it it's getting passed on to a mate.

Re:

Irondan said:
I just picked up one of these on sale at REI, I'm pretty psyched to not have to make weird contraptions to hold up my bike while I work on it anymore.

95d33076-7960-4353-b29b-e6d7d1c81a3f

It came with a travel bag too! :D

Yeah - nice stand that one.....I was tossing up between this exact one and Park Tools for my new home / garage set up.
Came down to price and went Park Tools.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.