• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Tour Teams for 2017

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Which 2016 teams are out and what new teams are in for the 2017 World Tour?

I hope Dimension Data keeps their WT status - the team seems to seek out advantages and execute them - interesting to watch.

I've read that top16 teams in UCI WT Team Rankings are safe. Dimension Data would need to do wonders in Eneco and/or Lombardia (and I don't think they have riders who could realistically be in the mix for the win in Lombardia) to close the 120 points gap to 16th Giant. It's said that we will have 17 WT Teams next year, so with Tinkoff and IAM folding, but Bora and Bahrain willing to take their places, there are two scenarios available:
- UCI abandonds plans to reduce the WT to 17 teams and all of the 18 candidates get their spots.
- One of the three: Dimension Data, Bora (with Sagan), Bahrain (with Nibali) is not granted a WT license for 2017.

TBH, I'm not sure if Dimension Data have the depth to deserve WT status over other teams in the mix. They could very well work as a pro-conti team with TdF, MSR, P-R and some other invitations ensured. I'm not sure if they have the quality to send a good team for multiple of WT races at the same time.

Anderis said:
I've read that top16 teams in UCI WT Team Rankings are safe. Dimension Data would need to do wonders in Eneco and/or Lombardia (and I don't think they have riders who could realistically be in the mix for the win in Lombardia) to close the 120 points gap to 16th Giant. It's said that we will have 17 WT Teams next year, so with Tinkoff and IAM folding, but Bora and Bahrain willing to take their places, there are two scenarios available:
- UCI abandonds plans to reduce the WT to 17 teams and all of the 18 candidates get their spots.
- One of the three: Dimension Data, Bora (with Sagan), Bahrain (with Nibali) is not granted a WT license for 2017.

TBH, I'm not sure if Dimension Data have the depth to deserve WT status over other teams in the mix. They could very well work as a pro-conti team with TdF, MSR, P-R and some other invitations ensured. I'm not sure if they have the quality to send a good team for multiple of WT races at the same time.
Unless Dimension Data spend up BIG very fast, they will be relegated as they should be. The depth for a full WT calendar isn't quite there. Spring classics, Paris-Nice, Romandie, Suisse, Dauphine, TDF, and Vuelta will probably be their main events for next year. Cav, EBH and Cummings are the only riders on their roster I see winning at WT level, although Kudus, Reguigi and Sbaragli have potential.

42x16ss said:
Anderis said:

Unless Dimension Data spend up BIG very fast, they will be relegated as they should be. The depth for a full WT calendar isn't quite there. Spring classics, Paris-Nice, Romandie, Suisse, Dauphine, TDF, and Vuelta will probably be their main events for next year. Cav, EBH and Cummings are the only riders on their roster I see winning at WT level, although Kudus, Reguigi and Sbaragli have potential.

I'd say Pauwels and Haas could pull of a stage win in a WT stage race but again that's not certainty. I can't see how DD would suffer if they were to drop back down to PCT, they would get a Tour invite and the Vuelta is a fair bet plus other ASO races and most of the classics. If anything dropping back down would be a good thing

DD should get wildcards to any event they show up with Cav. At the other races, there ain't no need to have them there to be honest. Despite guys like Cummings, Anton etc. TJ Sports and Bahrain should be in which offers an additional wildcard for the Giro. So my interpretation might be subjective of course since DD not being wt would be a plus for my favorite bike race.

Re:

staubsauger said:
DD should get wildcards to any event they show up with Cav. At the other races, there ain't no need to have them there to be honest. Despite guys like Cummings, Anton etc. TJ Sports and Bahrain should be in which offers an additional wildcard for the Giro. So my interpretation might be subjective of course since DD not being wt would be a plus for my favorite bike race.
Boasson Hagen is here to ensure Classics presence too.

It will make relatively little difference in all probability. Dimension Data (or Bora or the Bahraini kleptocrat's pet project) will be an automatic invitee to all major races they look for invites to. It was the ASO demanding a reduction in WT numbers so that they would have more ability to choose participants in their races, but realistically speaking the extra wild card will just be used up on the team that would have made a WT of 18. That team, whichever of them it is, will be vastly stronger than any other PCT team.

The change may make more difference in future years, particularly with the WT scheduled to drop to 16 teams. Next year may well be another big opportunity for rider's with the relevant points to cash in.

TRENDING THREADS