• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds Strongest man.

No spoilers.

Anyone watch this?

Cycling fans should like it because it requires a tremendous never say die attitude. Among the greatest athletes in the world.

Incredible stuff.

The event was in September in Chartlotte North Carolina, but here in the UK they always show it over Christmas. So no spoilers as to who won this year please.

Thats if anyone actually watches it.

I watch it when I can. I liked watching that Pudzianowski guy when he was winning all the time. I've been waiting for him to turn up in UFC as I heard that was where he was headed. A showdown with Brock Lesnar? But maybe he is good at lifting Volkswagons but not so good at fighting? Unusual for a strong guy to have such low body fat too :rolleyes:

Polyarmour said:
I watch it when I can. I liked watching that Pudzianowski guy when he was winning all the time. I've been waiting for him to turn up in UFC as I heard that was where he was headed. A showdown with Brock Lesnar? But maybe he is good at lifting Volkswagons but not so good at fighting? Unusual for a strong guy to have such low body fat too :rolleyes:

Pudzian is obviously my hero. He trained boxing when he was a teenager and even some martial arts but switched tried strongman in his 20's and won WSM by the time he was 25, which considering that the other guys that have won WSM in this century (2012 excluding) have been 30, 36 and 35 (36 2nd time) is quite impressive.

He absolutely owned the speed and endurance events - eg carry something for as long as possible, or drag something as fast as possible, often sprinting between objects as others walked.

Anyway due to his speed agility and fighting background he had a good chance at UFC. Insidentaly he tried WSM one more time after his transition to UCF, without having trained for it and came 2nd.

I know he won some fights lost some others but his most recent one I saw - against some guy called Thomson, thomson owned Pudzianowski on the floor getting him on the mat about 10 times but on 2 occasions Pudzianowski got a chance to punch Thomson in the head and he gave him about 17 world strongest punch, which was enough for a draw.

Brock Lesnar though, I used to watch WWE and he has got to be 1 of the top 5 athletes I have seen in my life (pudzian another one). Maybe even greatest athlete ive ever seen. The guy could both do carry moves (safely) on guys that weighed 300 pounds + and attempt the most difficult acrobatics stunt in proffesional wrestling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA

Cant see Pudzianowski beating this guy.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
pudzi was very bad at pro fighting, but i think he can be used to scam people out of money a bit longer...

Worlds strongest man is great, havn't watched it since it went onto channel 5 though, so I have lost track of it.. Ahola and the fins were my favourite.

palmerq said:
pudzi was very bad at pro fighting, but i think he can be used to scam people out of money a bit longer...

Worlds strongest man is great, havn't watched it since it went onto channel 5 though, so I have lost track of it.. Ahola and the fins were my favourite.

Pudzian isnt that bad a fighter. Unless people thought he was going to jump straight to the top after moving late in his career from a totally different sport.
James Thompson for example has been a good proffesional fighter since before Pudzian was even WSM and when they met 4 weeks ago it finished a draw.

He only began it 2 years ago afterall.

For those in the UK, the final is coming up at 19.00 on Channel 5.

Looks like a close battle.

In the Yellow red and green corner Zydrunas Savickas the 2 time defending champion.

Possibly the strongest ever on gym events (eg bench press this, lift this), but poor on endurance which is such a key factor in carry events, which is where he lost to Pudzianowski in 2002 and 2003.

In the Red White and Blue corner Derreck Poundstone, the cop who lost to Pudzianowski in the closest final ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usK02uKxs80

Injury problems have kept him down last few years, but hes back to top shape.

And joining him from the United States, Brian Shaw, the world number 1 who lost last years final to Savickas due to a stupid mistake early in the final where he let go of a bag thinking he had got it on, and it fell of forcing him to put it all the way back on again.

The extra 2 points would have won him the title.

Any of those 3 can win.

Edit : on now.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
bio-markhenry2.jpg

For those who missed it, strongman legend Zydrunas Savickas of Lithuania retained the world title he lost last year to American Bryan Shaw, at age 37.

Reigning champion Shaw, who won convincingly last year and lost 2010 to Savickas on a technicality (despite being the strongest man that year) was limited by nerve problems in his hand and despite winning the opening event could only finish 4th overall.

Beating him to the podium spot was 205 cm 23 year old giant Haethor Bjornsen who managed to hold his own in the events where height is a disadvantage and absolutely crushed the ones where it helps.
Trained by 4 time WSM Magnus ver Magnusson, it seems only a matter of time before the young strongman opens up his own chapter in a sport where peaks dont usually come until the 30's.

The biggest shock however was the challenge of Savickas's compatriot Vitautas Lalas who at 178m is only the second strongman in 6 years to make the final under 6 foot, and a full 7cm shorter than the next smallest competitor. The 31 year old, though a known all rounder, surprised many by finishing on the podium in 4 of the 5 events leading up to the decider.

Ultimately though, he crumbled on the final event - the power stairs - a nightmare event for small athletes, as his mentor and training partner, nicknamed Big Z, became the oldest WSM ever, and jumping up to joint 4th on the all time list

The Hitch said:
No spoilers.

Anyone watch this?

Cycling fans should like it because it requires a tremendous take every drug you find attitude. Among the greatest dopers in the world.

Incredible stuff.

The event was in September in Chartlotte North Carolina, but here in the UK they always show it over Christmas. So no spoilers as to who won this year please.

Thats if anyone actually watches it.

Fixed that for you

The Hitch said:
For those who missed it, strongman legend Zydrunas Savickas of Lithuania retained the world title he lost last year to American Bryan Shaw, at age 37.

After I read your post I searched and couldn't find any coverage.

However the next day a fellow by the name of Aivaras Kurauskas posted video of the final.

His 'channel' covers the heats too.

Here: YouTube

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:

I've seen pudzianowski fight. he's a f;n joke. fortunately the days of skilless freaks are over. that was the only bad thing about pride fc. ufc will never want him unless he all of a sudden becomes a good fighter. which you need talent and physical(motorical) skills for.

he's incredibly strong though, no doubt! I used to do powerlifting as part of my mma training. I even did a few "matches" in it.