• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wrapping wing type bars - full or half?

Which tape wrapping method is best for wing bars?

• Only wrap the drops up to and around the levers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Whats your preference when wrapping bar tape on flat topped road handlebars? Wrap the whole bar up to near stem like normal bars, or only wrap the drops up to the levers?

I haven't used wing type bars yet, but I think it might depend on how much you use the tops and the conditions you might often ride in. I still like to wrap the tops of my regular drop bars, because I have no practical need not to. More comfyif I'm riding a bumpy stretch and want my hands up there for a while. :D

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I wrapped full. but I like grip and ride with out gloves a lot on summer evenings. another reason is on the bar in question, the cable routing is noisy under the bar with out the wrap

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Half. The way the tops are shaped they fit my palm perfectly. My gloves give all the cushion I need which is not much. No need for tape at all.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Half. It looks odd with the tape over the oval sections. A mate has the Pro Cavendish bar, which is only slightly oblong at the tops, but fully wrapped. It is very hard to look at.
Never, never, never wrap a Cinelli Ram all the way. The Lion King will hunt you down and devour you.
Joking aside, who gives a toss? Wrap the stem if you want Martin, just be sure that it's done properly.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
3/4 ish, but the "wing" shape isn't that pronounced on my bars. There's a full hand-width of exposed bar on the properly flat section either side of the stem which is perfectly comfortable, but where it starts to curve forwards I prefer to have the extra grip that bar tape provides.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
Half. It looks odd with the tape over the oval sections. A mate has the Pro Cavendish bar, which is only slightly oblong at the tops, but fully wrapped. It is very hard to look at.
Never, never, never wrap a Cinelli Ram all the way. The Lion King will hunt you down and devour you.
Joking aside, who gives a toss? Wrap the stem if you want Martin, just be sure that it's done properly.

Nobody who has ever seen my haircut would acuse me of doing things because other people tell me thats how they are done. But I appreciate the thought! :)

Actually, I was just interested in people's general opinions. For instance whether the flat shape meant less need for tape padding, or more need for tape for grip, etc.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Marva32 said:
I am afraid to ask how your hair looks

very very boring - its kind of a reverse reference to everyone ending up doing the same thing because its supposedly the cool thing to do.

eg the Beckham mohawk craze or long shorts with black socks, etc.

If I set up my bike a certain way it will be for function - if that means double wrapping my bars - I'll do it. :D