• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yorkshire in talks to host Vuelta start

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44027869

Yorkshire looks set to host the start of the Vuelta a Espana after the county's cycling chief confirmed "they want to do it, we want to do it".

The three-week Grand Tour race was won by Britain's Chris Froome in 2017.

Yorkshire hosted the Tour de France's Grand Depart in 2014 and is set to stage the 2019 World Championships.

The county's burgeoning reputation for staging world class races was enhanced this weekend when a record 2.6m fans watched the 2018 Tour de Yorkshire.

Ok Mr Guillen let's see what insanity you can come up with.

Lol at the inclusion of Froome's 2017 Vuelta win.

Personally, I'm getting a bit bored of Yorkshire bidding for everything, but they do have the fans and terrain to make it work and it doesn't seem to be as faddish as I feared, where I was concerned that like Germany a couple of scandals may see the bottom fall out of British cycling, and it's not like the dull Dutch starts where even when they do have the chance to do something they don't. And the Worlds course is liable to be a huge disappointment as Harrogate is one of the least interesting towns and cities in Yorkshire for hosting it, far better options in Leeds, Sheffield, Halifax, Huddersfield, Scarborough, Keighley and in fact more or less anywhere in the county bar York and Hull.

I don't trust Guillén not to make everything Unipuerto though - although at least I believe there's a decent sized car park at Sutton Bank so he'd probably put a HTF there in an otherwise flat stage.

Actually knowing Guillén, he'd have a TTT in York, a HTF at Sutton Bank in a completely flat stage, then a flat finish after a very hilly stage so no time gaps are achieved but no sprinters survive.

It will be great for both the vuelta and yorkshire, and I prefer it when foreign starts are in places that don't have an immense history and a gt, like a vuelta starting in france, or a tour in italy. Hopefully this will be it for yorkshire, though, and after it they can organise a really cool one day race, alongside the tour of yorkshire (which will one day drop all of its frenchness), which can change route every other year like the Giro di Lombardia, so it can encompass all of yorkshire and also so that riders don't get used to the same route.

Maybe a giro start in the south west, or wales, is needed.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:

Personally, I'm getting a bit bored of Yorkshire bidding for everything, but they do have the fans and terrain to make it work and it doesn't seem to be as faddish as I feared, where I was concerned that like Germany a couple of scandals may see the bottom fall out of British cycling, and it's not like the dull Dutch starts where even when they do have the chance to do something they don't. And the Worlds course is liable to be a huge disappointment as Harrogate is one of the least interesting towns and cities in Yorkshire for hosting it, far better options in Leeds, Sheffield, Halifax, Huddersfield, Scarborough, Keighley and in fact more or less anywhere in the county bar York and Hull.

I don't trust Guillén not to make everything Unipuerto though - although at least I believe there's a decent sized car park at Sutton Bank so he'd probably put a HTF there in an otherwise flat stage.

Actually knowing Guillén, he'd have a TTT in York, a HTF at Sutton Bank in a completely flat stage, then a flat finish after a very hilly stage so no time gaps are achieved but no sprinters survive.

Does there exist a square kilometre in the world (on land) whose topology and infrastructure you don't know about? :)

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Does there exist a square kilometre in the world (on land) whose topology and infrastructure you don't know about? :)
Area 51 maybe?

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Area 51 maybe?

:D I was thinking much the same thing. LS is, by some margin, my favourite poster on here.

Please if they start there no flat stages. Of course la Vuelta, doesn't appear to like flat stages very much anyway, so hopefully that would hold true for a start outside of Spain as well.

For the idea of a one day race in Yorkshire the weekend before the tour of Yorkshire starts, I like the idea.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:

A TTT, HTF on Sutton Bank and a hilly stage that drops the sprinters are still much, much better than what we normally get treated with honestly. In 85-95% of the cases, thats better, so I'll just take that, thank you! :p

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Area 51 maybe?

Reading LS posts, especially those in the race design thread, I can definitively answer no :lol: