• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Youth CQ Ranking Game 2018

Hello fellow CN Forumites, welcome to the sixth annual Youth CQ Ranking Manager Game. This game allows you to showcase your knowledge of upcoming youngsters, and hopefully take a gamble on a couple of really young riders.
Originally this game was invented by mc_mountain, based on Hugo Koblet's CQ Ranking Manager Game, but I am organizing it this year.

Your task is to create a team with 12-15 riders at 1000 CQ points to get the best possible return.

1. How the game works

1.1. Duration
The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships ITT 5 January 2018) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race (x.1) is out - submissions can be made to extend the season to include late season smaller races, should there be potential for them to affect the top placings. A victor can be declared earlier if there is no prospect of the leader being overhauled.

1.2. Updates
My aim is to have an update every 2 weeks. I would greatly appreciate some help from other participants. If you are interested in doing an update every now and then, let me know via PM!

2. On doping
Hopefully doping will have much less of an impact on this game, but the Main game rules will apply.

3.Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?
You pick between 12 and 15 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 1000 points and submit your team to me via PM (either on CN forum or on Velorooms forum). Please be sure to use the naming format as found on cqranking.com and only send me your riders' names, not their scores etc. Please also be wary of any spaces or other characters after your riders’ names. I will try to correct all mistakes but some could slip through.

Example of how to send in your team:
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DE PLUS Laurens
MAMYKIN Matvey
etc...

3.2. Eligibility
Riders need to fit one of the following two main criteria
i) be a first year professional rider (of any age), be it at World Tour or Professional Continental team.
ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1993 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

For clarity, riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are considered for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders.

If you are unsure about the eligibility of a rider, feel free to PM me.

In previous years, the rules included an “encouragement” to include riders from several age categories, this encouragement has been scrapped to avoid any confusion.

Deadline
As I explained in the 2017 game thread, I will be away when the season officially starts in Australia. I’ve decided to delay the deadline by about a week and a half, this was also the option that was supported by other players.

You can submit your team as of right now. The deadline for submission is January 14th, 15:00 CET(http://www.timebie.com/timelocal/centraleuropean.php). After this deadline, team submissions will no longer be accepted. I will then process the teams, which includes checking eligibility. If I encounter an issue with your team, e.g. you've included the same rider twice, you are over budget or a rider you selected is not eligible, I will contact you via PM and give you the opportunity to correct the mistake before January 15th 20:00 CET. If after this deadline, you haven't yet gotten back to me, or there is still an issue with your team, I will:
i) in case you are over the budget, remove a rider to bring you under the budget. This will be the cheapest available rider on your team whose removal will bring you to or under the budget;
ii) in case you selected too many riders, remove the cheapest available rider from your team;
iii) in case of ineligibility, remove the ineligible rider.

I would like to ask the participants to delay the big reveal of their teams until after the January 15th deadline.

Also, I would like to request players to send in their teams either before the 23rd of December or after the 5th of January, to avoid an inbox filled with PMs when I get back. Any submissions within this period will still be accepted, of course!

Best of luck to all! :)

Post reserved for list of teams that have been processed and accepted. If you don't see your name in here even though you've sent in a team, feel free to check with me via PM

I have submitted my team to poster just some guy :)

LaFlorecita
snccdcno
comodoro
Leadbelly
Joelsim
laarsland
LosBrolin
monsieur_hulot
rote_lanterne
AupaPyama
scrooll07
TheArt
ArmchairCyclist
Trudgin
Jon Ezeitza
Jpettersen
Squire
DJW
Kazistuta
torcia_86
fauniera
MADRAZO
Roubaix
Nicosix
Josedin
skidmark
Pantani1
Wallenquist
the_asian
search
Amis Velo
Ludwigzgz
Hakkie2

As you can see in the post above, we are with two teams now and already I have found two riders whose scores in the latest update do not match those on the website, and no, none of their results were in the last month or so. It's just a mistake. When I spotted the first, I hoped it would be just the one but seems not. I would advise against using the team builder skidmark linked in the Main game thread for now, until this is resolved, or at least check the scores manually.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
As you can see in the post above, we are with two teams now and already I have found two riders whose scores in the latest update do not match those on the website, and no, none of their results were in the last month or so. It's just a mistake. When I spotted the first, I hoped it would be just the one but seems not. I would advise against using the team builder skidmark linked in the Main game thread for now, until this is resolved, or at least check the scores manually.
Mystery has been solved by Squire, it had to do with recently stripped results for Matija Kvasina and Pozdnyakov which resulted in more points for other riders, I'm hopeful this shouldn't affect too many riders.

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for running the game again, Flo!

LaFlorecita said:

3.2. Eligibility

For clarity, riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are considered for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders.

Is a rider who rode as a stagiaire before August as of 28/07/2017 like Tanguy Turgis http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=26391 eligible?

rote_laterne said:
Thanks for running the game again, Flo!

LaFlorecita said:

3.2. Eligibility

Is a rider who rode as a stagiaire before August as of 28/07/2017 like Tanguy Turgis http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=26391 eligible?
I think we may have had a similar situation some years ago - but I forgot what we decided back then and can't find it either. I would say yes, such a rider would be eligible because I see a traineeship starting in the final week of July as no different to a traineeship starting on the 1st of August. In fact, I don't think there have ever been stagiaires before that time of the year, riders who have only ever raced for pro teams as a trainee are always eligible as a rule of thumb :) If Turgis had signed a contract on the 28th of July, I think we would have to be strict and say no.

I have caught up on the teams submitted while I was away, please see the 2nd post in this thread for the teams that have been approved and entered into the spreadsheet. If you don't see your name on there yet submitted your team, please check your PMs to see if I asked for a revision or send me another PM if this is not the case.

Please note that the following two riders are not eligible as they signed a pro contract before 1st August 2017:
VAN HOOYDONCK Nathan
COSNEFROY Benoit

Little under 1 week till the deadline

The submission deadline has passed, still waiting for two players (Ludwigzgz and Amis Velo) to get back to me with their revised teams. If they haven't gotten back to me after the revision deadline I will just remove the ineligible riders from their teams.

The total number of participants including them is 32, which is quite a bit lower than in previous editions of the game. I'm guessing this is related to the deadline change?

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Post reserved for list of teams that have been processed and accepted. If you don't see your name in here even though you've sent in a team, feel free to check with me via PM

I have submitted my team to poster just some guy :)

LaFlorecita
snccdcno
comodoro
Leadbelly
Joelsim
laarsland
LosBrolin
monsieur_hulot
rote_lanterne
AupaPyama
scrooll07
TheArt
ArmchairCyclist
Trudgin
Jon Ezeitza
Jpettersen
Squire
DJW
Kazistuta
torcia_86
fauniera
MADRAZO
Roubaix
Nicosix
Josedin
skidmark
Pantani1
Wallenquist
the_asian
search
Amis Velo
Ludwigzgz
Hakkie2

I've added all teams I've entered into the spreadsheet to the quoted post - if you don't see your name in this list yet you submitted a team please contact me ASAP.

Fortunately both teams that I was still expecting a revised team from replied to me before the revision deadline. I've also taken the liberty of accepting one more new team after the submission deadline. I trust this will not be an issue for other participants. From 8PM CET or in little over an hour you can all reveal your teams :) I will try to post a link to the final spreadsheet either this evening or tomorrow.

Let's start with mine without Lambrecht (I should be the only one!)

POWLESS Neilson 216
SHILOV Sergey 207
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
RIABUSHENKO Aliaksandr 96
YSSAAD Yannis 80
PADUN Mark 73
WELTEN Bram 56
MCNULTY Brandon 35
SELLIER Simon 33
COSTA Adrien 27
WARLOP Jordi 20
BARBIER Pierre 6
PIDCOCK Thomas 0
CASTRILLO ZAPATER Jaime 0
SAMITIER SAMITIER Sergio 0

Nicosix said:
Let's start with mine without Lambrecht (I should be the only one!)

POWLESS Neilson 216
SHILOV Sergey 207
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
YSSAAD Yannis 80
PADUN Mark 73
WELTEN Bram 56
MCNULTY Brandon 35
SELLIER Simon 33
COSTA Adrien 27
WARLOP Jordi 20
BARBIER Pierre 6
PIDCOCK Thomas 0
CASTRILLO ZAPATER Jaime 0
SAMITIER SAMITIER Sergio 0
Actually, you're not ;) I really like your Shilov pick, I had to double check if he wasn't ineligible after you sent in your team! Not the oldest pick though, someone else picked a 37-year old!! :eek:

My team, strangely with Sivakov and without Halvorsen, while I picked Halvorsen for the main game and not Sivakov :confused:

SIVAKOV Pavel
JAKOBSEN Fabio
TIZZA Marco
RIABUSHENKO Aliaksandr
YSSAAD Yannis
ARMIRAIL Bruno
PADUN Mark
CRAS Steff
CONCI Nicola
WELTEN Bram
CIMA Imerio
FABBRO Matteo
CARBONI Giovanni
GAMPER Patrick
GAZZOLI Michele

No unique picks but three that were picked by one other. I'll post the popularity tables soon.

Rider popularity ranking:
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 28
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose 24
JAKOBSEN Fabio 21
COSTA Adrien 20
MCNULTY Brandon 15
PIDCOCK Thomas 15
RIABUSHENKO Aliaksandr 14
PADUN Mark 14
WELTEN Bram 14
PHILIPSEN Jasper 14
DAVIES Scott 14
SIVAKOV Pavel 12
LAMBRECHT Bjorg 11
CIMA Imerio 10
CARBONI Giovanni 8
BARCELO ARAGON Fernando 8
YSSAAD Yannis 7
CONCI Nicola 7
FABBRO Matteo 7
KNOX James 7
HIRSCHI Marc 7
MÜLLER Patrick 7
MADOUAS Valentin 7
CASTRILLO ZAPATER Jaime 7
DUNBAR Eddie 6
OWEN Logan 6
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel 6
SOTO MARTINEZ Nelson Andres 6
EENKHOORN Pascal 6
BOL Cees 6
CRAS Steff 5
VANHOUCKE Harm 5
POWLESS Neilson 5
SAMITIER SAMITIER Sergio 5
GAZZOLI Michele 4
TURGIS Tanguy 4
EG Niklas 4
RUSSO Clément 4
STANNARD Robert 4
BARBIER Pierre 4
BJERG Mikkel 3
VAN SCHIP Jan-Willem 3
MÄRKL Niklas 3
CHERKASOV Nicolay 3
WARLOP Jordi 3
BASSO Leonardo 3
CARDONA TABARES Julian 3
TIZZA Marco 2
ARMIRAIL Bruno 2
GAMPER Patrick 2
PERNSTEINER Hermann 2
KOLAHDOUZ HAGH Amir 2
POGACAR Tadej 2
ULYSBAYEV Dinmukhammed 2
CARPENTER Robin 2
DLAMINI Nicholas 2
JOHANSEN Julius 2
ERMENAULT Corentin 2
SIX Franklin 2
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien 2
IDJOUADIENE Pierre 2
NAVARRO Corentin 2
THIJSSEN Gerben 2
CHAVES RUBIO Brayan 2
BARTHE Cyril 2
CUADROS MORATA Alvaro 2
GHYS Robbe 2
MENTEN Milan 2
RAILEANU Cristian 2
BARTA William 2
GALDOUNE Amine Ahmed 1
PLANCKAERT Emiel 1
WOOD Oliver 1
KUSS Sepp 1
FOSS Tobias Svendsen 1
GEE Derek 1
GOLDSTEIN Omer 1
LARSEN Niklas 1
LAFAY Victor 1
RAUGEL Antoine 1
TOUZE Damien 1
MORTIER Julien 1
LEYSEN Senne 1
BERHANE Meron Abraham 1
DEWULF Stan 1
EISENHART Taylor  1
ALMEIDA Joao Pedro Gonçalves 1
LEROUX Samuel 1
SAVINI Daniel 1
KASPERKIEWICZ Przemyslaw 1
ZACCANTI Filippo 1
SEVILLA LOPEZ Diego Pablo 1
HAMILTON Lucas 1
ZIJLAARD Maikel 1
LEKNESSUND Andreas 1
STORER Michael 1
FRAME Alex 1
GARRISON Ian 1
SCOTT Jacob 1
SCOTSON Callum 1
ARERUYA Joseph 1
VIVIANI Attilio 1
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Gonzalo 1
MOSTOV Zeke 1
SHILOV Sergey 1
SELLIER Simon 1
MOBACH Jarno 1
DE WITTE Mathias 1
HENNESSY Jacob 1
EEKHOFF Nils 1
HONORE Mikkel Frølich 1
RIOU Alan 1
HABTOM Awet 1
VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas 1
MONK Cyrus 1
MARCOTTE Eric 1
ROSA Massimo 1

Team popularity ranking:
Hakkie2 221
MADRAZO 205
skidmark 192
Wallenquist 192
Jpettersen 188
Ludwigzgz 186
Josedin 180
LosBrolin 176
TheArt 175
Joelsim 174
fauniera 172
Roubaix 162
Squire 161
snccdcno 159
Kazistuta 158
Amis Velo 158
rote_lanterne 155
Nicosix 153
search 152
the_asian 151
ArmchairCyclist 149
torcia_86 149
Pantani1 143
laarsland 142
DJW 141
comodoro 132
LaFlorecita 129
AupaPyama 126
scrooll07 120
Leadbelly 116
Jon Ezeitza 113
Trudgin 107
monsieur_hulot 93

My team, not the best start with Lambrecht and Halvorsen but a long way to go:

LAMBRECHT Bjorg 218
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
SIVAKOV Pavel 142
JAKOBSEN Fabio 118
WELTEN Bram 56
MCNULTY Brandon 35
CIMA Imerio 35
RUSSO Clément 31
CARBONI Giovanni 28
COSTA Adrien 27
DAVIES Scott 26
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose 26
BARBIER Pierre 6
BOL Cees 0

15-995

For TeamPopular, the 15 most popular riders (up to Carboni and/or Barcelo) total over 1100 points, so I think we have to remove Lambrecht who is the least popular of the popular riders that we can remove to bring us under 1000 points.

The most popular team would be this one, removing Lambrecht and with both Carboni and Barcelo. 231 picks in total, which is scarily close to Hakkie2's score. This team is almost 70 points under budget though.

HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
JAKOBSEN Fabio 118
COSTA Adrien 27
MCNULTY Brandon 35
PIDCOCK Thomas 0
PADUN Mark 73
WELTEN Bram 56
PHILIPSEN Jasper 107
DAVIES Scott 26
SIVAKOV Pavel 142
CIMA Imerio 35
CARBONI Giovanni 28
BARCELO ARAGON Fernando 14

Two other options are:

This one without Lambrecht and with Carboni and Yssaad (7 picks), for exactly 1000 points
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
JAKOBSEN Fabio 118
COSTA Adrien 27
MCNULTY Brandon 35
PIDCOCK Thomas 0
PADUN Mark 73
WELTEN Bram 56
PHILIPSEN Jasper 107
DAVIES Scott 26
SIVAKOV Pavel 142
CIMA Imerio 35
CARBONI Giovanni 28
YSSAAD Yannis 80

With Barcelo instead of Carboni, and again Yssaad. For 986 points.

HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
JAKOBSEN Fabio 118
COSTA Adrien 27
MCNULTY Brandon 35
PIDCOCK Thomas 0
PADUN Mark 73
WELTEN Bram 56
PHILIPSEN Jasper 107
DAVIES Scott 26
SIVAKOV Pavel 142
CIMA Imerio 35
BARCELO ARAGON Fernando 14
YSSAAD Yannis 80

Both have a popularity score of 230 :)

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My team:
COSTA Adrien
BOL Cees
DEWULF Stan
EG Niklas
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
JAKOBSEN Fabio
MCNULTY Brandon
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel
PADUN Mark
PHILIPSEN Jasper
STANNARD Robert
THIJSSEN Gerben
TURGIS Tanguy
ULYSBAYEV Dinmukhammed
WELTEN Bram

One unique pick. I thought it would be Ulysbayev. Curious to see what other manager picked him.

TRENDING THREADS