Zomegnan's latest - Aug 8 wtf?

Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
Ok, folks, a pointer in VN took me to the Gazzetta Dello Sport and Zomegnan's blog there. Two VERY interesting posts there, July 30, and especially this, from Aug 8:

"Non-se-ne-può-più! I volti e gli indirizzi dei malfattori sono noti. ****ziamoli via una volta per tutte. E stabiliamo la pena, la certezza della pena e tutto quel che segue e ne consegue: arrivando, se necessario, alla radiazione. Tutti i colpevoli e non soltanto quelli dell’atletica e del ciclismo. Bensì, tutti. Indistintamente. Perché – e lo diciamo oggi, 8 agosto 2012 – non accetteremo più scuse insensate quando tra qualche settimana salterà fuori l’ennesimo scandalo del ciclismo, stavolta Made in France. A proposito, che fine ha fatto quella vicenda di metà giugno a proposito della messa sotto indagine di una tale squadra transalpina, che comunque al Tour ha ben figurato?"

Google translate gives this to us as
-Not if-we-can-more! The faces of the criminals and addresses are known. ****ziamoli out once and for all. And we set the penalty, the certainty of punishment and all that follows, and it follows: getting, if necessary, to radiation. All the guilty and not just athletics and cycling. Rather, everyone. Indiscriminately. Because - and we say today, August 8, 2012 - no longer accept excuses when senseless in a few weeks will turn out yet another scandal in cycling, this time Made in France. By the way, what happened to that story in mid-June about the making of such a team under investigation Alps, however, that the Tour has performed well?
which is obviously unsatisfactory. He's saying that something should be coming out of France soon. Tommy? I hope not. The rest of the blog talks about how universal in sports doping is today. Given the current Kenyan runner scandal popping up, I have to agree.

The other posts talks about Vino's Olympic win. I get the impression he is saying that he thinks Vino is relatively clean at this time, in addition to the fact that he is congratulatory to Vino for winning a podium to top off his career.

If anybody reads Italian - see if you can give us a better sense of what Zomegnan is saying?

Next, heard any rumors about French teams about to hit the news (in a bad way)?
 
May 21, 2010
809
0
0
hiero2 said:
Ok, folks, a pointer in VN took me to the Gazzetta Dello Sport and Zomegnan's blog there. Two VERY interesting posts there, July 30, and especially this, from Aug 8:

"Non-se-ne-può-più! I volti e gli indirizzi dei malfattori sono noti. ****ziamoli via una volta per tutte. E stabiliamo la pena, la certezza della pena e tutto quel che segue e ne consegue: arrivando, se necessario, alla radiazione. Tutti i colpevoli e non soltanto quelli dell’atletica e del ciclismo. Bensì, tutti. Indistintamente. Perché – e lo diciamo oggi, 8 agosto 2012 – non accetteremo più scuse insensate quando tra qualche settimana salterà fuori l’ennesimo scandalo del ciclismo, stavolta Made in France. A proposito, che fine ha fatto quella vicenda di metà giugno a proposito della messa sotto indagine di una tale squadra transalpina, che comunque al Tour ha ben figurato?"

Google translate gives this to us as which is obviously unsatisfactory. He's saying that something should be coming out of France soon. Tommy? I hope not. The rest of the blog talks about how universal in sports doping is today. Given the current Kenyan runner scandal popping up, I have to agree.

The other posts talks about Vino's Olympic win. I get the impression he is saying that he thinks Vino is relatively clean at this time, in addition to the fact that he is congratulatory to Vino for winning a podium to top off his career.

If anybody reads Italian - see if you can give us a better sense of what Zomegnan is saying?

Next, heard any rumors about French teams about to hit the news (in a bad way)?
Why not? his was the oddest performance of the lot in the TDF (im leaning towards wigans dirty now btw olympics a bit much)
Couldnt turn a peddle was dropped(no not taking it easy you could tell ,it was a singular pain face) on every incline looked like he was going to jack it in at any moment.Along comes the first rest day and hes superman.
People want to believe because the type of rider he is, in the same way they dont with wigans cos hes a boring(racing) as*hat.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
User Guide said:
Why not? his was the oddest performance of the lot in the TDF (im leaning towards wigans dirty now btw olympics a bit much)
Couldnt turn a peddle was dropped(no not taking it easy you could tell ,it was a singular pain face) on every incline looked like he was going to jack it in at any moment.Along comes the first rest day and hes superman.
People want to believe because the type of rider he is, in the same way they dont with wigans cos hes a boring(racing) as*hat.
the big ring said:
Tommy? I hope so. Ridiculous performance.
Ahh, Joe, say it ain't so!

Tommy was marvelous in 2004 - and did precisely the same thing. He is an attacker, and an opportunist, so he frequently goes to the wall too early. When he makes it work, it is beautiful. He has ridden like that nearly every time I have ever watched a race with him in it. Last year he killed his own chances because he rode the way he always does - on the attack.

If it comes out that he used some steroids for recovery, I would not be overly surprised. But, given the French attitude towards dopage (hatred), I would think this would not be the major scandal Zomegnan hints at - I just don't think Tommy will have done enough dope to justify a major scandal. But, maybe I am wrong. If he did, I think it will be for the French like Shoeless Joe was for that generation of US kids.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
I think so, which is one of the things that made me suggest Tommy. I'm just hoping not. I like Voelckler - he's been good for the sport.
 
Oct 30, 2011
2,642
0
0
gooner said:
Were'nt Europcar under investigation in the week leading up to the Tour?
They were, and there was Anthony Charteau who got kicked out of Quatre Jours du Dunkerque. The organisers kicked out an unnamed rider for blood value violations, and Charteau dropped out due to an unspecified knee problem.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
hiero2 said:
I think so, which is one of the things that made me suggest Tommy. I'm just hoping not. I like Voelckler - he's been good for the sport.
He doesn't know how to act like it's difficult, so he gives his face an epileptic fit instead.

I cannot stand dishonesty - and he has that in spades.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
hiero2 said:
I think so, which is one of the things that made me suggest Tommy. I'm just hoping not. I like Voelckler - he's been good for the sport.
By that logic so has UCI and Lance Armstrong. :confused:
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Zomegnan is promoting Zomegnan. Where was his anti doping during his years of running the Giro? Zomegnan is a joke. He caught De Luca for cera because De Luca was singled out when the riders agreed to cancel the Milan stage due to the danger and only raced the last lap. De Luca as race leader was the messenger. RCS shot and has never forgiven De Luca.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
the big ring said:
By that logic so has UCI and Lance Armstrong. :confused:
Well, actually, Lance WAS good for the sport. Recognizing that does not make me a fan, and it does nothing to lessen the pain I feel because he seems to have not only participated in doping, but raised it to a higher level. But I still have to recognize the additional fanbase and participation his involvement, his WINNING, created.

But Lance was dishonest, and I don't think anyone rational can deny that any more. Thomas Voelckler has not been shown to be dishonest. Since he has always made such faces, and since he has always ridden the same way, and since he has turned down bigger offers to continue riding with his coach and his team, I think Tommy has shown us that he is honest, not the other way around.

But, most of the time, Shoeless Joe was known as an honest man, too.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
hiero2 said:
Well, actually, Lance WAS good for the sport. Recognizing that does not make me a fan, and it does nothing to lessen the pain I feel because he seems to have not only participated in doping, but raised it to a higher level. But I still have to recognize the additional fanbase and participation his involvement, his WINNING, created.

.
You raced yourself. And consider cycling better the more fans or cyclists it has, even though the potential cause for that was LA and his yuck. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Saying LA was better for the sport is like saying big tobacco made sport better because it brought in sponsorship dollars and allowed bigger salaries and bigger spectacles therefore more fans and more people playing XYZ sport. Great for big tobacco coz they sold more smokes. WINNING all round, right?

Bleh.

It's the "bigger is better" mindset. And I completely disagree.

Better is better. And cycling is NOT better for Lance being in it.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
Godwin's Law, eh? :eek: I'll be more aware from now on.

I watched that stage where Tommy rode away from everyone, and sprinted down the final hill to the finish. ANd jumped off his bike and bounded off to the interview looking fresh as a daisy, having averaged 35km/hr over 4 major mountains for 198km, in the break for most of the day.

And did not believe it.

ETA: I then watched him win another mountainous stage, then sprint up every climb the following day, fresh as a daisy.

Fail.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
In 2006, stage 17 had
2 x Cat 1
1 x Cat 2
1 x Cat 3
1 x HC
199km in 5:23 (36.9km / hr)

In 2012, Stage 16 had
2 x Cat 1
2 x HC
197km in 5:35 (35.3 km/hr) - Voekler was first at every mountain top.

The next day, Voekler gets in the break and wins the sprints up the first 3 climbs - and they were full on sprints, no holds barred, dropping the rest of the break.

Both the stages Voekler won came after the rest day.
 
Aug 7, 2010
1,247
0
0
the big ring said:
In 2006, stage 17 had
2 x Cat 1
1 x Cat 2
1 x Cat 3
1 x HC
199km in 5:23 (36.9km / hr)

In 2012, Stage 16 had
2 x Cat 1
2 x HC
197km in 5:35 (35.3 km/hr) - Voekler was first at every mountain top.

The next day, Voekler gets in the break and wins the sprints up the first 3 climbs - and they were full on sprints, no holds barred, dropping the rest of the break.

Both the stages Voekler won came after the rest day.
In fairness, as soon as Voeckler was not riding like a GC contender, he was given a lot of latitude off the front. Yes, he rode well but I think he results look more dramatic because the pack did not respond to him.
There is no way he would have had those stage victories if his time gain would have made him a threat.
However, I was at one of his stage victories (10) where there was a headwind, uphill finish and he did look incredibly fresh at the end relative to the break companions. Hopefully the team is clean, particularly him and Rolland.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY