• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars Door Vlaanderen (188.6 km) goes straight through Flanders

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
honestly, broken ribs are almost nothing. I once broke a collarbone and ribs but didn’t even notice the ribs. It’s only because the x-ray showed them broken than I knew they were.
I think it just depends. I crashed in a race and had a minor fractured rib and it hurt like hell for several days. Laughing was unbearable and I sneezed once and it damn near brought me to tears.

I know I am in the minority here by saying this, but why does Wout ride this race?
I know that anything can happen at anytime, but I am always of the thinking that if He is going to crash let it be in the Ronde itself. I know is not the popular thought, but that's how I feel. I really don't care for this race in comparison with the Tour of Flanders.

I was rooting for him on Sunday. It changes the race TBH.

Reactions: Sciatic
There is some better footage from the crash on Sporza, and given the race interview by Benoot, it was 'simply' an overlap of wheels.
The thing I struggle with is: Benoot saw riders (EF Education) coming on his left, noticed Tim Van Dijcke dropped the pace a bit, so he went left of Tim Van Dijcke to guide WvA, but when upping the pace, he stood on the pedals. I know he doesn't have a strong acceleration in the saddle, but why oh why did Benoot stand on the pedals, while abruptly veering to the left? WvA was overlapping yes, but he had no chance by how sudden Benoot moved over. I can see why Benoot feels bad about it.

big edit: after seeing the replay several times more, Benoot was already quite a bit to WvA's left. I don't know why WvA lost balance, most likely he was following Benoot and came into contact with Kirsh? Because I don't see the overlapping wheels scenario holding now.

Last edited:
How would you know the extent or severity of WvA's broken ribs? You don't. I've had a broken rib and I certainly noticed it. Was hard to breathe.
True, but I bet his collarbone hurt much more. That's why he laid himself down in his left (having broken his right collarbone). Sometimes, with a broken collarbone, it hurt so much just sitting down as the weight of the shoulder pushes on the bone. I bet it's broken in more than 2 pieces.
In a way, it reminds me of Cancellara 2013 in RVV: big rider, great shape, very bad luck.

honestly, broken ribs are almost nothing. I once broke a collarbone and ribs but didn’t even notice the ribs. It’s only because the x-ray showed them broken than I knew they were.
Depends quite on the extent on the impact.
35 years ago I rode at tempo for almost an entire week without knowing my two lower ribs were broke and just thought the irritations and minor pains were minor knocks from the crash, and minor breath issue was down to 1-2°C rainy weather.

6 years ago I had a more severe crash on my MTB, resulting in fivw broken ribs, two lower in right side and three lower in my (strong) left side. Took me almost a minute to get back air and breath. Bad or no sleep at nights first 10 days, like pain relivers had no positive impact.

Van der Poel won Dwars door Vlaanderen & Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2022! Coming back from his back injury.

Van Art still had to prove a point ahead of Sunday. He exploded at E3 Prijs and also wasn't strong enough to go solo at Omloop het Nieuwsblad. At Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne he immediately was in the correct move and got rid of Pithie in time. So WvA had to win Dwars door Vlaanderen to confirm his shape and favorite status. He hadn't really done so before.

It wasn't a mistake to take part in today's race, until he crashed.

Your experience was different than mine then because anything other than shallow breathing was misserable for me. Sleeping was out of the question without pain meds. My Xyphoid process was also dislocated which added to the pain. Were yours broken or fractured? I've also had brused and fracturesd ribs that weren't as bad as broken ones, but still not "almost notning".

My clavical (two breaks with a floating pice of bone between -/-) was misserable too, but at least breathing wasn't painful.

Your experience was different than mine then because anything other than shallow breathing was misserable for me. Sleeping was out of the question without pain meds. My Xyphoid process was also dislocated which added to the pain. Were yours broken or fractured? I've also had brused and fracturesd ribs that weren't as bad as broken ones, but still not "almost notning".

My clavical (two breaks with a floating pice of bone between -/-) was misserable too, but at least breathing wasn't painful.
Sounds like you had a complicated anterior break? That would be really nasty!

I've had fractured ribs in the back and side (the side fracture was an MTB fall on a log while going downhill!). Not too miserable other than laughing or coughing. Once it was in the off season and I had a cold though, so the coughing was a continual evil reminder.

Fractures and breaks are actually the same thing. I presume you are thinking of a fracture as a less serious type of break?

I've got a hard time seeing a path to victory for Küng in any classic from here on.

Today's race served him a chance on the silver platter. Küng had nothing to do, but to lure for his chance to move in the last 30 kilometers. Instead he works too much in front once again and gets caught out twice by Bettiol and Jörgensen because of inattentiveness. In the final he actually sees what Benoot is going to do and still lets him go away. Then, he's in defense, needs to shut down the move and subsequently gets counter attacked by Jörgensen.

This just can't happen to him. If it's Abrahamsen who sneaks away instead, that's cycling. But he can't let himself beaten by Visma like that.

I've got a hard time seeing a path to victory for Küng in any classic from here on.

Today's race served him a chance on the silver platter. Küng had nothing to do, but to lure for his chance to move in the last 30 kilometers. Instead he works too much in front once again and gets caught out twice by Bettiol and Jörgensen because of inattentiveness. In the final he actually sees what Benoot is going to do and still lets him go away. Then, he's in defense, needs to shut down the move and subsequently gets counter attacked by Jörgensen.

This just can't happen to him. If it's Abrahamsen who sneaks away instead, that's cycling. But he can't let himself beaten by Visma like that.
Does Küng have his own thread? I am curious because I was looking and did not see it.

Yup, he was absolutely inattentive when Jörgensen went ... his position was the best to latch on and he was completely nonchalant about trying. Weird. Also, he said he was the second strongest in the race. I dunno my man, I think Abrahamsen might have something to say about that.

I wouldn't be that harsh, but it was difficult to see what he was aiming for today indeed.

It's never going to be easy to beat two Visma guys in a group of 6, of course, but de Bondt on the other hand had a clear plan, at least: follow Benoot. He is slow in a sprint, and won't be chased down by Jorgenson. It didn't work out either, but fully made sense to me.

why tf was van aert in this race to begin with? it crossed my mind long before he crashed that...he could crash and ruin his season. just dumb planning by Visma. they clearly had enough firepower to win without him.
Listening to Bruyneel describe the adjustment from altitude to maximum power output, you need several days at sea level and some excursion to adjust. So today was a tune up race that he might have very well been strong enough to win.

Reactions: Sandisfan