• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars Door Vlaanderen (188.6 km) goes straight through Flanders

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Every amateur knows not to suddenly stand up like that going so fast. You lose a pedal stroke or two doing so
Group riding is tough. You can lose focus for just a split second and bam, chaos. I don't mind it but I always stay on the edges if I can in a group. Much prefer a paceline or double paceline since if you need a break or need a drink you can just skip a turn.

That was a brutal race, between the crash and Bettiol's cramp or muscle pull. Hope Wout and Ghirmay and the others are not badly hurt.

Just watching on delayed signal.
Any updates on the state of Stuyven, WvA and Mads?
no medical updates besides Stuyven (post above).
What I noticed was WvA was in severe pain, so I suspect something is broken (collarbone / ribs / ...).
Mads climbed on his bike and drove (straight, so not in the race) to the finish (is what I read somewhere)? So it seems he is relatively OK but you never know what the shock effect (of hitting the ground) will give in the coming days.

why tf was van aert in this race to begin with? it crossed my mind long before he crashed that...he could crash and ruin his season. just dumb planning by Visma. they clearly had enough firepower to win without him.
Honestly they ruined his whole spring. Or he did, if this programe was his decision.

He was likely doing this race because he needs racing sharpness after coming from teide before e3. But for such a big name it's probably too close to Flanders.

I honestly don't understand what was wrong with his 2021-23 spring schedule. Altitude in February then omloop/strade + Paris Nice/Tirreno. All those years he was at his best level for Sanremo + Flanders + roubaix. The 2024 schedule would not have improved things

This time he skipped a really good opportunity for Sanremo to crash himself in a prep race

Honestly they ruined his whole spring. Or he did, if this programe was his decision.

He was likely doing this race because he needs racing sharpness after coming from teide before e3. But for such a big name it's probably too close to Flanders.

I honestly don't understand what was wrong with his 2021-23 spring schedule. Altitude in February then omloop/strade + Paris Nice/Tirreno. All those years he was at his best level for Sanremo + Flanders + roubaix. The 2024 schedule would not have improved things

This time he skipped a really good opportunity for Sanremo to crash himself in a prep race

yep. he could've got plenty of "race sharpness" by doing Sanremo

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Every amateur knows not to suddenly stand up like that going so fast. You lose a pedal stroke or two doing so
Well they’re going like crazy for hours, packed up like sardines, over rough terrain and cobbles in all types of weather. Bad stuff eventually happens, mistakes are made, even by the most experienced riders. This is part of it and an unfortunate thing that cyclists have to live with.

Reactions: Sandisfan