• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seemed to have been raced hard from to start to finish, but still ended with 30+ guys sprinting for the win.

And it will probably be the second toughest road stage this week.
I think it was an pretty interesting stage. Normally yesterday would have been the second hardest stage and we would look different on this stage. Not a bad route design in my opinion.

UQnwKEizNDLJo5xmVKW4wS.jpg
Hmm. Big difference is Banana Man couldn't give a darn. Hayer otoh is actively trying, is in contract year and working towards his magnum opus in July.

It seemed to have been raced hard from to start to finish, but still ended with 30+ guys sprinting for the win.

And it will probably be the second toughest road stage this week.
I'd still say it was a pretty good stage, and at no point clear how it would end. It came down to a sprint, but when a solo victory looks still about as likely with 500m to go, it's surely not a bad stage design.

What is Betencur up to now ...does anyone know ?

In fairness Betencur had the excuse of burgers and beers
I don't know what Betancur is doing, but H2H with Hayter, they have a very similar graph.
If they are supposed to evolve the same way, Hayter is past his peak.

can't believe Ethan Hayter didn't win today :oops: and then I thought Manny Bookman won and it turned out to be some spanish rider or some *** :mad: (who cares what his name is, right?). but then he didnt win either? only one more day left of listening to the flawless and well balanced Carlton Kirby on the 1's and 2's and his boy BriSmithy to make sure we know all the British riders in the race.

Yes, given the rest of the route and what was possible.
It's almost like those of us who criticised the route could predict what would happen! I posted that we could expect to see 25 riders sprinting it out today before the race even began, using the results of the Klasika Primavera with the same finish from the days when it had a good field:
I never said anything about sprints. But I'd be surprised if there's anything particularly decisive before Leintz-Gaztaga, Lizarrusti won't be particularly decisive and certainly not with 20km left to go. With that and Kanpo you've got two stages that likely have no impact other than crashes, and you have them back to back. The Amorebieta stage is basically a couple of laps of the old Klasika Primavera circuit before, it had some pretty ropey fields in later years and hasn't restarted post-pandemic, but back in 2009-13 when it had some decent fields usually a group of 20-25 contested a sprint at the end.

It feels like it's designed to have a final day epic at the expense of any meaningful action in the rest of the race, so hopefully it at least delivers that epic. Major 2011 vibes, only at least this time the final stage everybody can wait for is the only proper decisive road stage, whereas back then the final stage was a TT longer than usual for the race.
Hey look, it's almost like the criticisms were well-founded.

Only it's even worse than I anticipated, because the big crash yesterday cost us the only even potentially decisive action between the prologue and the final stage.