• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tbh stage 4 looked very decent, and the time trial should have been worth watching, but wasn't. I think all they need to do is drop one of stage 2 or 3 for a selective day on some proper muros and you have a perfect race in this region.
Leintz-Gaztaga isn't a particularly interesting climb for the region I'm afraid. Fairly wide, smooth and a lot more regular than many. They needed something better with either stage 1 or 2, and a proper murito type on one of the other stages ideally.

I mean, I wish they'd do something other than the same old same old around Eibar as the queen stage so they could maybe vary the Eibar stages a bit more, but since the Euskal Bizikleta folded, it's been everpresent by contract so there's not much you can do about it and at least those stages keep delivering - I just would rather they weren't the only stages delivering.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Soler, Ayuso, Del Toro all raced great. The situation for Soler was absolutely awesome, you guys tow me for 20k and then we will sprint for it. Olney was impressive.. guy drank some extra coffee today, great race and result. Del Toro blew out his transmission and in the end even micro Esteban Chavez had a little more juice than Isaac. Del Toro from 15th to 7th overall for his efforts. Carlos Rodriguez is, was impressive in every way today, including his post race interview and the way he worked his butt off w Ayuso..couldn't have been better.. Nice to see Chavez in the mix..Bilbao is a solid racer..

Sepp got the mountains jersey in the end

GKfrS0fXoAASA2G

Reactions: Sandisfan
Leintz-Gaztaga isn't a particularly interesting climb for the region I'm afraid. Fairly wide, smooth and a lot more regular than many. They needed something better with either stage 1 or 2, and a proper murito type on one of the other stages ideally.

I mean, I wish they'd do something other than the same old same old around Eibar as the queen stage so they could maybe vary the Eibar stages a bit more, but since the Euskal Bizikleta folded, it's been everpresent by contract so there's not much you can do about it and at least those stages keep delivering - I just would rather they weren't the only stages delivering.
Yeah I mean we agree, you just talk about them as stage 1 and 2 where as I thought they were 2 and 3. Anyways, Leintz-Gaztage probably isn't that selective (I think it would have been raced very hard though this year), but thats not really a problem if you have a hard time trial and a muro stage on one of the pointless stages and the queen stage to top it off.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Soler has surely played a vital role in more putches/raids (some of them unsuccesfful) like these in more stages than ayone else?

final stage Paris Nice when he won
The sprint he lost against Gaudu on la farrapona
The one when he didn't want to wait in the rain in Andorra
Mur de Peguere with Landa when Tour finished in Prat d'albis
When he chased down Quintana in the Galibier stage :p
Angliru last year

When i think of Satellite rider he surely is the first to come up with.