• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro CQ Game

The Classics are done, the GT season is upon us, and so it is once again time for us to compile our own teams for the pursuit of the pink.

Your goal is to get as many points (according to the system at CQranking.com : points available for all finishers according to their GC position, top 10 in each stage and on points and mountains classifications, and for the overnight leader) during the Giro. But you must choose 8 men who are taking part in the event, and each rider has a price which is their CQ score for the 12 months to 28th April (a download from CQ will confirm and lock in those prices on the 29th (Edit: done)). That means that while you can of course think about your selection before that date, you shouldn't be sure that you can send it until then. You have a budget of 3500 of such points.

During the race, I will post daily updates of scores at that point, as though that were the final result of Il Giro, and in a minor classification, which tracks only stage points.

When it is time to submit, please use PM on this site to me There is no need to include teams or prices: they simply need to be deleted before we can use the names. And you make life much easier if you can use the same version of names as used on the CQ site. Your team should be sent in before stage 1 starts on Saturday 4th May. I believe it starts at 13:55 local time, I will post the precise, confirmed deadline in the thread when it is closer. If you send your team in in good time, then I can check it and let you know if there is a problem.

Riders who are due to compete, their CQ names, and their prices (remember, only reliable from the 29th), as well as the scale of points available to be won, are on a Dropbox spreadsheet here.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
I noticed Quintana wasn't listed on the spreadsheet as a rider who qualifies, even though he will start. Is this because he is not eligible because the failed drug test screwed up his ranking points?

I noticed Quintana wasn't listed on the spreadsheet as a rider who qualifies, even though he will start. Is this because he is not eligible because the failed drug test screwed up his ranking points?
No, it's because when I went through the projected startlist last night, I overlooked him in putting little qs next to the riders, and I sort by that column. His name was in the list, just not in the top part of it.

Now fixed: good to see that the spreadsheet is used.

No, it's because when I went through the projected startlist last night, I overlooked him in putting little qs next to the riders, and I sort by that column. His name was in the list, just not in the top part of it.

Now fixed: good to see that the spreadsheet is used.
Thanks! It seemed plausible that he could be omitted for that reason so I thought I would check

I don't apply the same returning from suspension rules as Skidmark's game.
Although in this case I do, as Quintana was available at a bargain price in the Main, season-long, game.

I don't think Skidmark's rule is necessarily a bad one, I just chose returning from a ban to be treated as simply one more reason, like injury, poor race selection, bad commissionaire decisions or personal life issues that might make a rider cheaper than his abilities would make one expect. (trying to fathom why QS was shocked).

I guess picking Pogi is a safe way of getting a lot of points (assuming he does actually win), and hence finishing at least average. But I'm not sure you are going to win with him, as the winner will pick cheaper riders who will all overperform. Like if you were to pick Derek Gee last year. So do you pick him and accept slightly above average, or do you try and be more ambitious and try to pick out the 2024 version of Derek Gee?

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
I guess picking Pogi is a safe way of getting a lot of points (assuming he does actually win), and hence finishing at least average. But I'm not sure you are going to win with him, as the winner will pick cheaper riders who will all overperform.
Pretty sure the optimal team will not have Pogacar, but as to how well hypothetical Pogacar teams are going to do depends a lot on how unpredictable the race is going to be. The more unpopular riders are going to be very high in GC, the better Pogacar teams are going to fare, especially if he goes crazy about winnig stages and minor jerseys.

Start list with cq values. Edit: all teams confirmed now.

INEOS Grenadiers Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team
THOMAS Geraint
819​
O'CONNOR Ben
1053​
ARENSMAN Thymen
427​
BAUDIN Alex
168​
FOSS Tobias Svendsen
166​
PARET PEINTRE Aurélien
596​
GANNA Filippo
805​
PARET PEINTRE Valentin
295​
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel
730​
TOUZE Damien
106​
SHEFFIELD Magnus
539​
TRONCHON Bastien
253​
SWIFT Ben
77​
VENDRAME Andrea
372​
SWIFT Connor
202​
WARBASSE Larry
83​
Alpecin - DeceuninckEF Education - EasyPost
GROVES Kaden
608​
PICCOLO Andrea
75​
BAYER Tobias
86​
CEPEDA ORTIZ Jefferson Alexander
277​
CONCI Nicola
111​
DE BOD Stefan
92​
HERMANS Quinten
292​
VALGREN HUNDAHL Michael
189​
JANSSENS Jimmy
50​
CARR Simon
416​
KIELICH Timo
347​
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
155​
PLANCKAERT Edward
100​
HONORE Mikkel Frølich
131​
VAN DEN BOSSCHE Fabio
50​
STEINHAUSER Georg
223​
Arkéa - B&B HotelsGroupama - FDJ
BIERMANS Jenthe
472​
PITHIE Laurence
725​
BARRE Louis
228​
ASKEY Lewis
262​
COSTIOU Ewen
380​
BARTHE Cyril
52​
DEKKER David
117​
DAVY Clément
76​
GRONDIN Donavan
25​
GERMANI Lorenzo
62​
RIES Michel
77​
LE GAC Olivier
139​
RIOU Alan
45​
LIENHARD Fabian
89​
VERRE Alessandro
57​
PALENI Enzo
74​
Astana Qazaqstan TeamIntermarché - Wanty
VELASCO Simone
667​
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
553​
BALLERINI Davide
36​
CALMEJANE Lilian
171​
LUTSENKO Alexey
577​
COLLEONI Kevin
25​
FORTUNATO Lorenzo
280​
MIHKELS Madis
274​
KANTER Max
247​
DE POOTER Dries
76​
MULUBRHAN Henok
308​
PETIT Adrien
55​
PRONSKIY Vadim
155​
SMITH Dion
92​
SCARONI Christian
512​
VAN SINTMAARTENSDIJK Roel
39​
BORA - hansgroheIsrael - Premier Tech
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
242​
WOODS Michael
606​
ALEOTTI Giovanni
221​
CLARKE Simon
194​
KOCH Jonas
106​
FRIGO Marco
105​
LIPOWITZ Florian
449​
HOFSTETTER Hugo
301​
MULLEN Ryan
135​
PICKRELL Riley
42​
SCHACHMANN Maximilian
238​
RAISBERG Nadav
48​
VAN POPPEL Danny
739​
SCHULTZ Nicholas
303​
GAMPER Patrick
169​
VERNON Ethan
324​
CofidisLidl - Trek
OLDANI Stefano
193​
MILAN Jonathan
811​
ANIOLKOWSKI Stanislaw
224​
BAGIOLI Andrea
560​
DEBEAUMARCHE Nicolas
43​
CONSONNI Simone
297​
CHAMPION Thomas
51​
GEBREIGZABHIER Amanuel Werkilul
200​
FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben
101​
HOOLE Daan
167​
GESCHKE Simon
59​
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro
365​
THOMAS Benjamin
134​
STUYVEN Jasper
815​
WOOD Harrison
57​
THEUNS Edward
232​
Movistar TeamTeam Visma | Lease a Bike
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander
16​
LAPORTE Christophe
730​
TORRES BARCELO Albert
63​
AFFINI Edoardo
119​
BARTA William
155​
VAN DIJKE Tim
262​
CIMOLAI Davide
177​
GESINK Robert
45​
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
136​
KOOIJ Olav
1464​
MILESI Lorenzo
162​
TRATNIK Jan
457​
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
572​
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
485​
SANCHEZ MAYO Pelayo
256​
VALTER Attila
377​
Soudal Quick-StepTudor Pro Cycling
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
580​
TRENTIN Matteo
634​
CERNY Josef
30​
DAINESE Alberto
380​
HIRT Jan
170​
FROIDEVAUX Robin
42​
LAMPERTI Luke
344​
KAMP Alexander
267​
MERLIER Tim
1134​
KRIEGER Alexander
50​
SERRY Pieter
53​
MAYRHOFER Marius
247​
VAN LERBERGHE Bert
117​
STORER Michael
515​
VANSEVENANT Mauri
331​
STORK Florian
92​
Team dsm-firmenich PostNLUAE Team Emirates
BARDET Romain
722​
POGACAR Tadej
2953​
LUND ANDRESEN Tobias
310​
OLIVEIRA Rui Filipe Alves
114​
HAMILTON Christopher
229​
BJERG Mikkel Norsgaard
510​
JAKOBSEN Fabio
449​
GROSSSCHARTNER Felix
646​
WELTEN Bram
67​
LAENGEN Vegard Stake
45​
LEEMREIZE Gijs
41​
MAJKA Rafal
410​
VAN DEN BERG Julius
57​
MOLANO BENAVIDES Juan Sebastian
320​
VERMAERKE Kevin
497​
NOVAK Domen
77​
5075​
Team Jayco AlUlaVF Group - Bardiani CSF - Faizanè
DE MARCHI Alessandro
117​
POZZOVIVO Domenico
189​
DUNBAR Edward
333​
COVILI Luca
135​
EWAN Caleb
347​
FIORELLI Filippo
201​
HEPBURN Michael
60​
MARCELLUSI Martin
229​
MEZGEC Luka
249​
TAROZZI Manuele
71​
PLAPP Lucas
388​
PELLIZZARI Giulio
229​
WALSCHEID Maximilian
247​
TONELLI Alessandro
234​
ZANA Filippo
655​
ZANONCELLO Enrico
342​
Team Polti KometaBahrain - Victorious
FABBRO Matteo
130​
TIBERI Antonio
400​
BAIS Davide
143​
KEPPLINGER Rainer
103​
BAIS Mattia
97​
BAUHAUS Phil
336​
LONARDI Giovanni
145​
CARUSO Damiano
469​
MAESTRI Mirco
151​
PASQUALON Andrea
72​
PIETROBON Andrea
0​
ZAMBANINI Edoardo
178​
PIGANZOLI Davide
383​
SÜTTERLIN Jasha
40​
MUÑOZ LLANA Francisco
9​
TRAEEN Torstein
216​

Last edited:
Why is Laurence Pithie listed as being 725? This is what I get when I go to his CQ profile:

It is the points were supposed to look at, right?

Or is it the one in the corner saying "current CQ value"? I thought that, and the points where the same...

Last edited:
Price is the current CQ value as of 30 hours or so ago. What you have linked to is Pithie in 2024. The price of all riders is their points over the last 12 months*, not the 4 months of this year (assuming you are referring to the 543 at the foot of that page).

Price in most cases is the number in red text, white background below the petrol gauge image on that page, but it might change over the next few days, so better to go by Search's table in this thread or my spreadsheet, linked above.

*:unless race dates have changed, see below

Last edited:
yeah, we always use rolling values for the GT games, so points accumulated over the past 12 months.

It's interesting that Pietrobon is free, though, as he scored 5 points in the 2023 Tour of Turkey last fall. Seems like (internally) CQ used its original date instead.
Not quite all games: I use end of the previous year scores for the Spring Classics, which wraps up tomorrow. (Not sure why I did that initially, now I just do it for consistency)

Once the 2024 Tour of Turkey has happened, all points from the 2023 ToT are removed: it is not strictly speaking a rolling 12 months, although I often referred to it as that as a shorthand. Caused all sorts of oddities in 2020-21.

Last edited: