• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 823 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Top 30 on GC. This might be his best ever performance in a stage race since he joined IPT
21th, top 30 sound quite worse...He was more than halff the stage in a break...considering that and that he IS not looking what he lose, just helping the team and he team is leader...It is ok. If he was fighteen to lose the Minimum time to lose 5 min with this people, would be much time. He has 2 mates stronger at this parte of the season for a race with so short stages...but one is the strongest of the race and the other is very close, he did an amazing job acording Rubén Plaza words

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
He finished 24th lasted year.time I said, this year if he can’t match that with a day off from the TTT he’s starting with worse shape.
The race didnt finished... To look the position is quite stupid or for people than dont know too much about cycling. Once te race finished you have to look the level..Lecerf now is a world tour rider and he is going to finish worse likely and as well the time he lost, not just the position in GC. But I mean quite stupid becouse when you are working It doesnt matter home mucho you lose everyday, he IS not starting the stage looking for lose the Minimum time, but to help the tram to win..and now the team has the leader, so he is doing well. And for me he is stronger this year despite is his first race.

The race didnt finished... To look the position is quite stupid or for people than dont know too much about cycling. Once te race finished you have to look the level..Lecerf now is a world tour rider and he is going to finish worse likely and as well the time he lost, not just the position in GC. But I mean quite stupid becouse when you are working It doesnt matter home mucho you lose everyday, he IS not starting the stage looking for lose the Minimum time, but to help the tram to win..and now the team has the leader, so he is doing well. And for me he is stronger this year despite is his first race.
You think Lecerf is going to drop all to stop riding for his 4th place and lose 11 mins to finish behind Froome?

Froome isn’t a normal domestique, he still rides for himself to finish as high as possible, plus you have to add in him taking a day off in the TTT. Last year had 7 pro teams, this year only 3 pro teams. Is this really his great strong level when there’s more amateur riders. That’s why it’s worse if he finishes lower in GC compared to last year. There’s worse competition, he took a day off, and is still riding for himself just like last year.

You think Lecerf is going to drop all to stop riding for his 4th place and lose 11 mins to finish behind Froome?

Froome isn’t a normal domestique, he still rides for himself to finish as high as possible, plus you have to add in him taking a day off in the TTT. Last year had 7 pro teams, this year only 3 pro teams. Is this really his great strong level when there’s more amateur riders. That’s why it’s worse if he finishes lower in GC compared to last year. There’s worse competition, he took a day off, and is still riding for himself just like last yea

Froome isn’t a normal domestique, he still rides for himself to finish as high as possible, plus you have to add in him taking a day off in the TTT. Last year had 7 pro teams, this year only 3 pro teams. Is this really his great strong level when there’s more amateur riders. That’s why it’s worse if he finishes lower in GC compared to last year. There’s worse competition, he took a day off, and is still riding for himself just like last year.
Froome is a normal domestique, work as muchs he can and he lost time. Today he was on the break and dropped 35 km away of the end and keep his pace. I dont think he IS going to finish worse than last year at GC, even in position , but he is helping the team, and trying breaks, he doesnt have that goal. Tomorrow is the longest stage, with some climbs and the team has to control all with just 3 domestiques. But anyway I think he can improve the 24th of last year. And he didnt take sany day if, he was the man Who worked more in the TTT in the first 10 km of 13...the team was second...he was not the only to lose time in a stage like that...but I see the first parte of the TTT and he did the longest pulls.

Last edited:
Froome is a normal domestique, work as muchs he can and he lost time. Today he was on the break and dropped 35 km away of the end and keep his pace. I dont think he IS going to finish worse than last year at GC, even in position , but he is helping the team, and trying breaks, he doesnt have that goal. Tomorrow is the longest stage, with some climbs and the team has to control all with just 3 domestiques. But anyway I think he can improve the 24th of last year. And he didnt take sany day if, he was the man Who worked more in the TTT in the first 10 km of 13...the team was second...he was not the only to lose time in a stage like that...but I see the first parte of the TTT and he did the longest pulls.
If Froome was a normal domestique he would do more work and not hang on for deal life to keep his GC position as high as possible.

guys, why would he try today?
He is the ultimate professional, consummate teammate and is saving his energy to support them for the rest of the race.
And in a Taxus reply he says Froome is a domestique. Everything can be true nobody needs to be wrong.
Froome is 38 going on 78 ..he has more characteristics of a tall little old lady than someone contesting a professional bike race, and double punctuate that if he is trying to win or be a factor in a professional stage race.
But explore being a diligent team mate. Does anyone think that Grampa Froome is going to set tempo uphill or downhill at the TDF..does anyone honestly think that Chris is going to block wind and set pace for a Teuns, Riccitello or even the caliber of Jakob Fuglsang? Come on.. he should do the right thing and give back salary until he is equal with other average domestiques on the squad.. Not everyone is Valverde..38 he has had a great career.. Google what Madonna is doing right now, should be called Loss of Dignity Tour..

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
For those that didn’t see, Einhorn‘s bike broke and Froome being the amazing teammate that he is carried Einhorn on his back all the way to the finish in order for Einhorn to win. Unfortunately due to this effort Froome finished behind Lecerf meaning he has to gain back 11 mins tomorrow in order to finish ahead of him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
For those that didn’t see, Einhorn‘s bike broke and Froome being the amazing teammate that he is cared Einhorn on his back all the way to the finish in order for Einhorn to win. Unfortunately due to this effort Froome finished behind Lecerf meaning he has to gain back 11 mins tomorrow in order to finish ahead of him.
Back to the beginning.

kcpkp9iuq8111.jpg

He did a good job today, from the begining to 1 km to Mont Kigali KOM, almost the only rider who worked really today of the team and he Lost just 3 minutes. I think that show a good shape for him in this parte of the year comparing previuos years. He finished 15:50 to the leader, working allí days, and last year he finished at 28:34, losing almost the double time...so I think now he is better. Not big difference anyway, but It was his first race this time, so I am quite optimistic, becouse Lecerf and Restrepo came to face the big names of cycling today at a similar level to them, so this is not just a low rate race or a sub 23 race...It has some good riders. Half riders couldnt finish or lost more than 40 min.

Last edited:
He did a good job today, from the begining to 1 km to Mont Kigali KOM, almost the only rider who worked really today of the team and he Lost just 3 minutes. I think that show a good shape for him in this parte of the year comparing previuos years. He finished 15:50 to the leader, working allí days, and last year he finished at 28:34, losing almost the double time...so I think now he is better. Not big difference anyway, but It was his first race this time, so I am quite optimistic, becouse Lecerf and Restrepo came to face the big names of cycling today at a similar level to them, so this is not just a low rate race or a sub 23 race...It has some good riders. Half riders couldnt finish or lost more than 40 min.

Last year it took the winner 11 hours more to complete the race. You can claim Froome isn't any worse than last year, but that can only be considered an improvement since he's now one year older.

Last year it took the winner 11 hours more to complete the race. You can claim Froome isn't any worse than last year, but that can only be considered an improvement since he's now one year older.
Of course It was harder the race last year, specially lo ger stages, but that is better for Froome, but 11 hours IS not a big difference, an ITT is harder per km that to be at 120 bpm in a pelotón. And much less rain this year, better dor hin, but he was working more this year and last year he raced 3 races in Australia before to go to Africa...
He did a good attack last year with the bad luck of 2 puntured, but there were no so strong teams like this year to go for him...I watched the way he break yestarday in a moment when the race was totally launched and hope he worked today, droping people at the begining and at Mobt Kigali and lost just 3 minutes at the end , with 2 coble muurs, and I think that he finish to a decente shape this race. Of course he has to improve much more to be at le Tour, and much more to win a stage there...but despite the difference of level of both races, le Tour suits him much better, although today stages even at le Tour are usually less than 150 km...if he didnt have to work today he would have improved from 27th to 23th...and at a level similar to his mate Kretsy

I agree, @Froome is a good domestique for lesser races.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Froome
Of course It was harder the race last year, specially lo ger stages, but that is better for Froome, but 11 hours IS not a big difference, an ITT is harder per km that to be at 120 bpm in a pelotón. And much less rain this year, better dor hin, but he was working more this year and last year he raced 3 races in Australia before to go to Africa...
He did a good attack last year with the bad luck of 2 puntured, but there were no so strong teams like this year to go for him...I watched the way he break yestarday in a moment when the race was totally launched and hope he worked today, droping people at the begining and at Mobt Kigali and lost just 3 minutes at the end , with 2 coble muurs, and I think that he finish to a decente shape this race. Of course he has to improve much more to be at le Tour, and much more to win a stage there...but despite the difference of level of both races, le Tour suits him much better, although today stages even at le Tour are usually less than 150 km...if he didnt have to work today he would have improved from 27th to 23th...and at a level similar to his mate Kretsy
So who were these big name riders in Rwanda?

So who were these big name riders in Rwanda?
I didnt say there were big names, but Restrepo came to get last stage ar Colombian Tour to Carapaz, and Lecerf was second at Alula Tour, with the same time at the Queen stage than Simon Yates. At Colombia were people as Bernal, and in Galicia just Vingegaard is better than Bernal...Latour was at a good level as well before to get Rwanda this year. So the top riders of Rwanda are not far of the big names of cycling these days. Of course Froome is far of the level he has to be in May, but IMO is not a bad start.

I didnt say there were big names, but Restrepo came to get last stage ar Colombian Tour to Carapaz, and Lecerf was second at Alula Tour, with the same time at the Queen stage than Simon Yates. At Colombia were people as Bernal, and in Galicia just Vingegaard is better than Bernal...Latour was at a good level as well before to get Rwanda this year. So the top riders of Rwanda are not far of the big names of cycling these days. Of course Froome is far of the level he has to be in May, but IMO is not a bad start.
It's not a bad start, it’s a horrible start, he is absolutely finished, but he is making a lot of money. That’s what matters more to him in this moment.