• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Deleting posts

Does anyone else find it mistifying when posts are deleted?
I posted one on the Clinic Froome thread, only to find it gone 12 hours later.
No explanation, nor have I the slighted idea why.
Is it too much to ask for an explanation when it happens?

Re:

BigMac said:
Hi coin, when was this post made? Earlier today? I can't find records of a post of yours being deleted. I can see one of your posts that would more or less fit in the time frame you give is still there.

Could it be this one?
Yep, sorry, really shouldn't post after a night out!
I still think one should be notified of deleted posts though :)

Re: Re:

coinneach said:
BigMac said:
Hi coin, when was this post made? Earlier today? I can't find records of a post of yours being deleted. I can see one of your posts that would more or less fit in the time frame you give is still there.

Could it be this one?
Yep, sorry, really shouldn't post after a night out!
I still think one should be notified of deleted posts though :)

No worries. I think that's a good advice.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
had a couple deleted but no reason as to why. Is this a new mod flexing their muscles....as so much 'stuff' has been left unedited and deleted in recent times it was a free for all.................

Re:

Benotti69 said:
had a couple deleted but no reason as to why. Is this a new mod flexing their muscles....as so much 'stuff' has been left unedited and deleted in recent times it was a free for all.................

There isn't an option now to give a reason when deleting a post, they just go. I'm not comfortable with it at all as I know how I would feel if one of my posts simply disappeared. But there you are, we are stuck with it. I would probably send a PM if a posters post was deleted as part of a collateral clean up on a thread but not sure if it is viable every time a post is deleted for other reasons. Don't shoot the messenger..

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think that deleting posts should be last option as it seems there is no way of recovering those at all?.. For me as a poster on here a warning to get back on topic or take things to pm/sidebar thread would be my preferred option.. If a cleanup of "off topic blocks" is deemed necessary then a mod statement in the given thread would for me be a good way to go... in general though, I prefer posts being kept for posterity.. for better and worse..

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

ferryman said:
Benotti69 said:

There isn't an option now to give a reason when deleting a post, they just go. I'm not comfortable with it at all as I know how I would feel if one of my posts simply disappeared. But there you are, we are stuck with it. I would probably send a PM if a posters post was deleted as part of a collateral clean up on a thread but not sure if it is viable every time a post is deleted for other reasons. Don't shoot the messenger..

Would it be significantly more time consuming to edit posts or move them to a hidden sub-forum instead of deleting them?

Sciocco said:
ferryman said:
Benotti69 said:

Would it be significantly more time consuming to edit posts or move them to a hidden sub-forum instead of deleting them?

There is no hidden sub forum! When they go they go. Editing posts brings lots of pain, nobody wants a post edited without given a reason why..

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

ferryman said:
Sciocco said:
ferryman said:
Benotti69 said:

There is no hidden sub forum! When they go they go. Editing posts brings lots of pain, nobody wants a post edited without given a reason why..

Can they add a hidden sub forum (or maybe even a thread! :eek: ) just for this? The "deleted" thread where "deleted" posts exist in the discussion board purgatory.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
If it exists is it deleted? If is not deleted it cannot go in the deleted thread which is not really deleted.
If they are deleted are they not to be seen by the unworthy.
this post will self delete automatically

Appears I had two posts vaguely about Kristoff deleted from the Tour Stage 2 thread. I appreciate it was chit-chat, but the thread was slow moving at the time so seems a bit draconian to delete them. It's the first time I've had a post deleted so I'd be genuinely interested to know if I broke the rules.

Sciocco said:
Yes. Terribly more time consuming I'm afraid, in the current forum layout. Like, two seconds (deleting) vs almost a minute (moving).
Yes, I agree it sucks.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
coinneach said:
Does anyone else find it mistifying when posts are deleted?
I posted one on the Clinic Froome thread, only to find it gone 12 hours later.
No explanation, nor have I the slighted idea why.
Is it too much to ask for an explanation when it happens?

I prolly have had about a hundred of my posts disappear off into the ether.

lots of Wildean drollery just lost to mankind. so sads, so doleful, so disappoints, so tragedious

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: ?

krebs303 said:
ebandit said:
.......ok? i'm slow but how do you guys know when you're posts have been deleted?

for me it's...post...........forget.................move on................repeat

Mark L
People often re-read great pieces of literature.

tis akin to haiku.

you just need to read with the correct cadence to reconcile the rhythm. it is akin to getting the feel for some GGMarquez magicrealism, you can just get it at some point, then it reveals itself and the tenor.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
krebs303 said:
img-thing
That's weird. That post seems to have been deleted when quoted.
-------------------------

I do have a question though.

Why are we only able to delete some of our own posts and not others?

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:

Jacques de Molay said:
krebs303 said:
That's weird. That post seems to have been deleted when quoted.
-------------------------

I do have a question though.

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete this post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:
The pic is just broken, not deleted. I'm not sure why.

As for the question you asked about deleting your own post. It's probably a setting in the forum administration panels. When I get a little time I'll go in and check the settings.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Irondan said:
The pic is just broken, not deleted. I'm not sure why.
It was meant as a joke. Read the post from krebs. :D

It was my handiwork. :cool:

But my question about deletions was serious. So thanks in advance if you can get to the bottom of that.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Jacques de Molay said:

In the horizontal lists of choices—[Edit post] [Delete post] [Report this post] [Reply with quote]—the one for "Delete post," does not always appear. Is there some timing element involved with this? Does the option disappear for a reason? :confused:
Still wondering about this. Could it be related to whether or not the post in question has quoted another post within it?

If a mod could step in and delete the mutually-agreed upon exchange between myself and blackcat in the Suspicious Minds thread (in The Clinic), it would be appreciated.
(Reading the last few posts of that thread should be self-explanatory.)

Thanks in advance, if so.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Jacques de Molay said:
Jacques de Molay said:

Still wondering about this. Could it be related to whether or not the post in question has quoted another post within it?

If a mod could step in and delete the mutually-agreed upon exchange between myself and blackcat in the Suspicious Minds thread (in The Clinic), it would be appreciated.

It's done.

As for why you can't delete those posts I'll have to look into it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jacques de Molay said:
Jacques de Molay said:

Once a post has been replied to the poster can no longer deleted that post.

Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

There is a way to change it so poster can delete after a reply has been posted. But it get's into the coding of the forum. So best to leave those things to owners/developers of CN.