• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Milan is the new sprint superstar

After winning 3 sprint stages already in the Giro this year plus one and the ciclamino last year, this man deserves his own thread to more in depth discussion.

Reminds me a lot of riders like Cipollini, Greipel and Kittel with a very big frame and the watts to match. Already one of three best sprinters in the world and I think he has the potential to become the best if everything goes right for him. Quite versatile too, good in prologues and showed talent for the classics this spring as well.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/jonathan-milan

Last edited:
Massive improvements in positioning and style compared to last year. And that Lidl train is quickly becoming the best in the world.

Don't know what his ceiling is in classics like Roubaix and GW. Pippo took a few years before showing he could be competitive and Milan has even less experience on the road.
It's truly impressive that the two biggest Italian talents come from track cycling considering the lack of infrastructures and funding. Coaches are doing an excellent job. Next in line could be David Sierra and Luca Giaimi.

Massive improvements in positioning and style compared to last year. And that Lidl train is quickly becoming the best in the world.

Don't know what his ceiling is in classics like Roubaix and GW. Pippo took a few years before showing he could be competitive and Milan has even less experience on the road.
It's truly impressive that the two biggest Italian talents come from track cycling considering the lack of infrastructures and funding. Coaches are doing an excellent job. Next in line could be David Sierra and Luca Giaimi.
Milan should ride the Tour, but is he?

Reactions: Sandisfan
You and three others. He as the chance to be the next Cipollini or Petacchi.

From what I've herd, Cipollini never finished the Tour, so I'm not sure he's kind of rider a young aspiring rider should strive to emulate.
(And that's not even touching upon the recent issues involving Cipollini...)

Meanwhile, unless something drastic happens, I'd say the Italian Team Pursuit are probably guaranteed to get at least silver at the Olympics.

Reactions: jmdirt
Does he intend to complete the Giro? Although it is more likely to be a team management decision.
Both Milan and the team set the Ciclamino jersey as a goal for this Giro so there's no reason to go home unless he falls sick.
And if I'm not mistaken he can also become the first rider since Cavendish in 2013 to win 5 stages in a single edition of the Giro.

Both Milan and the team set the Ciclamino jersey as a goal for this Giro so there's no reason to go home unless he falls sick.
And if I'm not mistaken he can also become the first rider since Cavendish in 2013 to win 5 stages in a single edition of the Giro.

Also the record for most Ciclamino wins is only 4, so he'll already be halfway there, if he makes it to the finish.