• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

GIJJNZZWsAAx7NY

It's almost time for the first Grand Tour-ish event of the season.
La Vuelta Femenina started its life as a crit race in Madrid 9 years ago and has steadily grown since then. The 10th edition will have a record 8 stages, which include an opening TTT, 3 assumed bunch sprints, 1 stage in rolling terrain which could end in a couple of different ways, and 3 uphill finishes that will determine the overall winner.

The recent editions of the race have been dominated by Annemiek van Vleuten, but with having retired, a new champion will be crowned this year.
Although she's had her troubles so far this season, Demi Vollering will still take start as the hot favourite to take the top step on the podium after she narrowly lost out on the victory in 2023. However, as we saw just the other day in Liège, anything can happen.

The information below is copied from the post I made following the route presentation in early March.

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1766060414293483804

Key climbs

Stage 2

OronetSerra.png

Stage 3

fuentes-de-rubielos-olba.png

Stage 5
SanJuanPe%C3%B1axBernues.png

FuerteRapitan.gif

Stage 6
LagunaNegra2.gif

Stage 8

The race will end with the classic Morcuera/Cotos combo, but instead of continuing on to Navacerrada, they'll turn left and finish at the Valdesquí ski resort.

morcuera_alt.jpg

Cotos.gif

Last edited:
Some teams have announced their rosters for the race.

DSM have relied on the drawing talents of Abi Smith, while Liv-Jayco have used ChatGPT. A clear victory for DSM there.

View: https://twitter.com/dsmfirmpostnl/status/1782749391717040373

View: https://twitter.com/GreenEDGEteam/status/1782365402586112141

Also Movistar have confirmed that Liane Lippert will be making her long-awaited season debut, after a hip injury has kept her sidelined for the first months of the year.

It's good to see Marlen Rausser back after that horrific injury three weeks ago at Flanders

Flanders Fallout: Marlen Reusser Undergoes Surgery for ‘Broken Jaw, Ear Canals, and 8 Teeth’

Reactions: JosefK and awavey

The big news is that Reusser is ready to race again. Also nice that they don't have a clear no. 1 for the sprints, so more of their riders can get a chance, if they have the legs for it.

EF have also announced their squad of riders that can all do well, but also just as well blow up or crash out.

View: https://twitter.com/EF_Cannondale/status/1783187949602955375

Reactions: awavey
Is it okay if I get annoyed at the general balancing of womens "grand" Tours. I get they're not doing 3 weeks, but right now it's a very big trend of one mountain stage being much more difficult than all the others and it turns every women's GC into a single mountain stage shootout.

Giro has Lanciano-Blockhaus combo. Tour has Glandon + Alpe d'Huez. This Vuelta is obviously less extreme but that's cause the standout mountain stage is just a lot tamer.

Is it okay if I get annoyed at the general balancing of womens "grand" Tours. I get they're not doing 3 weeks, but right now it's a very big trend of one mountain stage being much more difficult than all the others and it turns every women's GC into a single mountain stage shootout.

Giro has Lanciano-Blockhaus combo. Tour has Glandon + Alpe d'Huez. This Vuelta is obviously less extreme but that's cause the standout mountain stage is just a lot tamer.
Tame mountains that do nothing in men's races shred to pieces the women's peloton. Morcuera+Cotos is a good mountain stage for the women.

Without a stand-out mountain stage, I guess it's just another stage race rather than a (one-week) "Grand Tour".

Tame mountains that do nothing in men's races shred to pieces the women's peloton. Morcuera+Cotos is a good mountain stage for the women.
I know. I didn't say it was bad actually. It's just really imbalanced when one mountain stage dwarfs out the rest. But the Vuelta has actually done best in that regard.

I do like the idea of the women doing the legendary climbs the men do, but I actually think a one day race format is better for that.

That was Lagos de Covadonga, which is indeed a lovely climb, but they're not travelling that far north this time around. There were rumours about Angliru at one point, which isn't that far from LdC, but that didn't happen, at least not this year.
Maybe the year before, my bad. No known climb like the Covadonga. It was between a lot of dense trees, straight roads and I think a private terrain the last km's or so.

Edit: just found it, stage 5 Mirador de Peñas Llanas. Thought it was the decisive climb/stage, don't know why. But this climb stick to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
It seems to me they wanna do the absolute minimum to be a women's GT and call it a day

I observed the development of women skijumping world cup. What started as 13-15 event competition is now a proper WC with around 25 events. When there are richer sponsors and more interest then voices of making a 2-week stage race will have a bigger impact. I think it will happen within 10 years max.

Now that we have 3 GT-ish races, I definitely wouldn't mind if one of them tried something else, like having a big mountain stage in the first weekend and/or a very long ITT. Of course you'd run the risk of the race getting decided early on, like in the 2021 Giro Donne.

It seems to me they wanna do the absolute minimum to be a women's GT and call it a day

its getting there, it will just take abit more time, remember the womens Vuelta just used to be a crit race in Madrid, now its an 8 stage race thats complimenting the seasons race calendar alongside the TdFF, Giro etc. and considered a major race.

we saw what happened with the Women's Tour in the UK, you need sponsors on board to pay the bills, and you need teams with enough depth and quality to support this number of races.

Reactions: Didinho
I know. I didn't say it was bad actually. It's just really imbalanced when one mountain stage dwarfs out the rest. But the Vuelta has actually done best in that regard.

I do like the idea of the women doing the legendary climbs the men do, but I actually think a one day race format is better for that.
Au contraire, I like the idea of having at least one "iconic" stage each year. The Giro did something like that in the late 2000s early 2010s. However, what was also cool was having San Domenico di Varzo several consecutive years, I don't really want the same climb every year but having a climb like that (or Monte Serra from the 90s) that has iconic status specifically in relation to women's cycling rather than just being conferred value from the men's races is a nice step.

However, they can't just go one really tough stage and call it a day. Stages like Stage 7 and Stage 8 in the 2022 Giro Donne spring to mind for what I'd like.

Perhaps if you're going with the 'icon' being an MTF, the 2022 Giro Donne format is best actually - have a Unipuerto MTF at the 'icon', then a couple of other mountain stages with less renowned climbs to follow. Unfortunately the loss of race days hits that hard.
They should organize for women at least one 2-week race, which would be a proper GT for them. It's probably a matter of time, when there's more popularity and $$$ in women's tour.
They should, and in the medium-term it's a good goal. I like the idea of the Volta a Portugal format in the short term - start Wednesday, end the following Sunday, 11 stages with one rest day. However...
TBH I think it's more that the Tour de France is setting the rules. The Giro had been up much longer but settled on a 10 stage no rest day format since the early 2000s. This had been running for a while, but the loss of status that came from the attempt to scramble a race together in 2020 served badly in two ways. Firstly, the Giro should have just not bothered - the Women's Tour elected not to run, failed to meet the same coverage criteria as the Giro a year later, but the Giro got demoted and the Women's Tour didn't. Secondly, the Tour used a very replicable format; they start on the final day of the Tour, on the Champs Elysées, and therefore running 8 stages in order to finish on Sunday, the most convenient day to finish, just fits together very neatly. With ASO also owning La Vuelta, they've replicated that format when the Ceratizit Challenge has grown into a proper race, and the Giro, with its budget cut and its tail between its legs, has followed suit.

ASO I certainly think have an element of wanting to do the minimum, but the 8 stage format like this is, at least in the Tour's infancy, something of a no-brainer. I'm not going to fault it, it's actually almost exactly what I was asking for of them for years, but there is an element of ASO essentially only stepping in once the Giro was being demoted so that they could be the race; though they had a women's Tour back in the 80s, having a 30 year deficit in history to the Giro would have had them in a position of weakness; in the men's péloton the Tour is very much the race, but in the women's, they may have prioritised the Giro... so ASO were not going to step in until the Giro was weakened enough that they could be perceived as the leaders, not the followers, despite their having resisted doing even the bare minimum for years beforehand (some of the finest coverage of La Flèche Wallonne Féminine came from a commentator sticking their mobile phone out of the window to capture the women arriving at the final corner, because God forbid we miss any of the exciting action the men provide 110km from the finish at Flèche, which we know is renowned for its successful, meaningful speculative long range attacks).
I observed the development of women skijumping world cup. What started as 13-15 event competition is now a proper WC with around 25 events. When there are richer sponsors and more interest then voices of making a 2-week stage race will have a bigger impact. I think it will happen within 10 years max.
Interestingly, Jernej Damjan on Eurosport this season noted that women's ski jumping is in fact the only FIS discipline that has shown audience and sponsorship growth in the last decade. Exempting women's NoCo which didn't exist prior to that, of course, but is very much still in its infancy.