• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mattias Skjelmose: The Blonde Assassin

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think it's pretty fair to go by how people pronounce their own name ;)
I don't. It is a rule on Belgian national TV to pronounce names the way the actual person pronounces it, and it's cringe to the max (that means a lot more cringe than having to use the words "to the max") every time they butcher a name because the person butchers his/her own name. Frighteningly problematic when they start pronouncing names the way they assume a person pronounces his own name.

Isn't Voeckler actually pronounced Alsatian in most countries bar France?
^
Especially his dropping the last e is a very Copenhagenish thing to do. I would never say it like that.
Ok, case in point, because i noticed that immediately and assumed that Boehmand had it wrong with his pseudo phonetic spelling of scale-mo-se.

Fzt3K30WYAM20q5

Skejmose and Lopez should be working for Ciccone, he can get a top 5. Maybe play Skejmose as a wildcard gc option like Quintana to valverde in 2013 movistar. But skejmose is an unproven and a puncheur. Ciccone is flying and a proven 3 week climber.

If anything, Lopez has proven to be a better GC rider.

Last edited:
'E' in 'Skjel' is like the 'e' English 'tell'

'o' in mos' is like the 'o' 'ros' in the English 'rose'

'e' is like 'e' in the English 'the'

Skjel meaening boundary
Mose meaning bog.

The Danish O is not pronounced like "rose", I can't really think of an English word with the same sound, but found this handy website (Danish one is the 2nd from the top).

For fun you can try the Swedish and Norwegion ones too, to get a sense of the difference in pronounciation in the Scandinavian languages.

Skejmose and Lopez should be working for Ciccone, he can get a top 5. Maybe play Skejmose as a wildcard gc option like Quintana to valverde in 2013 movistar. But skejmose is an unproven and a puncheur. Ciccone is flying and a proven 3 week climber.

I like Ciccone a lot, but in 10 GT's his best overall is a 16th at the Giro, and he hasn't finished 4 of the GT's he's done. Skjelmose has done 1 as a 21 year old, which he finished, and he was a pure Dom.

Also Giccone has never won a stage race, even as a young rider.

I'd day both should ride GC, and then when one has a significant time loss, he works for the other, and if they both do they go for stages.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like Ciccone a lot, but in 10 GT's his best overall is a 16th at the Giro, and he hasn't finished 4 of the GT's he's done. Skjelmose has done 1 as a 21 year old, which he finished, and he was a pure Dom.

Also Giccone has never won a stage race, even as a young rider.

I'd day both should ride GC, and then when one has a significant time loss, he works for the other, and if they both do they go for stages.
Ciccone is the new Masnada.

Based on this:

I'd say Skjelmose will be up there (incl. for stage results) in the first week, but then fade and have the rest of the Tour be a fight for survival, in order to salvage as good a GC as he can. - Unless he has a complete off day and drops so much time he can hunst stages the rest of the Tour.

So on balance maybe top 20 is more likely than top 5, at this Tour.

I think if he manages a top 10, Trek will be over the moon, and let him prepare as a proper GC captain for next years Tour, to give the overall a serious shot.

If he shocks everyone and manages a top 5, we have a new GC star on our hands.

Based on this:

I'd say Skjelmose will be up there (incl. for stage results) in the first week, but then fade and have the rest of the Tour be a fight for survival, in order to salvage as good a GC as he can. - Unless he has a complete off day and drops so much time he can hunst stages the rest of the Tour.

So on balance maybe top 20 is more likely than top 5, at this Tour.

I think if he manages a top 10, Trek will be over the moon, and let him prepare as a proper GC captain for next years Tour, to give the overall a serious shot.

If he shocks everyone and manages a top 5, we have a new GC star on our hands.
I dunno, based on Suisse...he should be able to follow wheels to at least a top 10...gap could be 10 minutes to Vingegaard so that doesn't seem unreasonable. I guess it's a matter of how he manages energy, i.e. not following every attack in the first two weeks but accepting some time losses here and there, if the best possible GC result is his goal, vs. being opportunistic for a stage win that he might have to pay for later.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I dunno, based on Suisse...he should be able to follow wheels to at least a top 10...gap could be 10 minutes to Vingegaard so that doesn't seem unreasonable. I guess it's a matter of how he manages energy, i.e. not following every attack in the first two weeks but accepting some time losses here and there, if the best possible GC result is his goal, vs. being opportunistic for a stage win that he might have to pay for later.
I think top 10 being within 10 mins is pretty optimistic. Last year was almost 36 mins, and two years previously over 10 mins.

Reactions: ManicJack

Now yes, but 2 weeks from now is another matter.

It's the point De Jongh is making, that he's already been at a peak for quite some time, so it is likely he will run out of steam.

Did he crash? I saw someone assume he did on another forum, but i wasn't aware. Would explain a few things. Even though i didn't expect him to be in the mix with the big boys, losing 8 minutes is more than i expected.
A couple have posted he did but the US commentators never mentioned it when he finished the stage.

He crashed early on stage 5. Even though his initial reaction was that he was fine, he might have turned out to be a little less fine.

Update, he feels like he's gotten a beating, but he's not worried.

Last edited: