• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 390 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought the word "rat" used by Luke Rowe was interesting. In the US that term is often given to someone that "snitches" or that breaks the code of omerta. I don't know if the use here is related or not.
In the context it sounds like he’s using even more pejoratively — like for a sneaky, gutter-dwelling vermin. And I hate to hear these white Anglo guys using terms like that about someone from a different country and culture.

That era Tramadol wasn't against the rules, for Quintana it was so that's not being hypocritical to denounce him. Not that i'm aware of evidence or even here say Thomas or Poels ever took it, the point is the peloton are not great admirers of Quintana, and his Tramadol use, his Dr wrapped up in things, hotel raids etc kinds of proved their point.

Tramadol was not against the rules per se when SKY took it but it was not in keeping with MPCC if I recall correctly...So MPCC teams didnt take but that didn't stop SKY

I remember having a conversation with a pro whose team at the time was in MPCC and he was so frustrated with SKY on tramadol for TTs and later with Jumbo on ketones though he didn't want to take either he felt it was an fair advantage for teams who did

I've got the distinct feeling this has nothing to do with tramadol. They all used it themselves. They wouldn't get this pissed off if someone else used it (they wouldn't get angry at all even imo)
I think something entirely different happened.
I don't have the slightest idea what, but I'm convinced this amount of collective anger towards another rider isn't about tramadol at all.

Tramadol was not against the rules per se when SKY took it but it was not in keeping with MPCC if I recall correctly...So MPCC teams didnt take but that didn't stop SKY

I remember having a conversation with a pro whose team at the time was in MPCC and he was so frustrated with SKY on tramadol for TTs and later with Jumbo on ketones though he didn't want to take either he felt it was an fair advantage for teams who did
I'm not sure being an MPCC team makes any difference, pretty much all the major doping violations the last 5 years came from MPCC teams and/or MPCC registered riders for EPO, Blood, Hormones, Steroids & Passport failures. Quintana was on an MPCC team taking Tramadol so it's not really a label of credibility. It was an attempt to not have French cycling implode after Festina and I think that at least was done for the right reasons, Today MPCC seem very willing to ignore their own offences while pointing the finger at everyone else doing legal thinks like Ketones to me?

I thought the word "rat" used by Luke Rowe was interesting. In the US that term is often given to someone that "snitches" or that breaks the code of omerta. I don't know if the use here is related or not.
The context is Quintana is just not liked much in the peloton as a person. It goes back a decade ago and as far as Rory Sutherland so there's lots of history not just his Dr being arrested and Quintana's Tramadol sanction and Poels the last couple of years or so.

I see a discussion about a rider and why he is liked or not liked. The use of certain products / bans is just the context, not the subject of discussion, and I don't even see many posters veering off.

I always liked Quintana as the underdog / the people's favourite and someone with a pretty decent speech. I wonder though, in his Movistar years, he always seems to be overshadowed by Valverde in the pecking order / internal ranking, and he doesn't seem to ride for anything else than his own glory. This is all likely to result in his own team / team mates feeling lukewarm about supporting him, but they probably felt they couldn't ignore him while he was the only one in Movistar capable of podium-ing or even winning a GT.

I don't understand how and why Ineos riders would feel strongly about Quintana, though: he isn't the force he once was so whether he competes (after his crash in Catalunya) or not in the Giro, doesn't seem to be relevant.

I don't understand how and why Ineos riders would feel strongly about Quintana, though: he isn't the force he once was so whether he competes (after his crash in Catalunya) or not in the Giro, doesn't seem to be relevant.
Easy way of showing some moral superiority.

I really hope Quintana lights up some mountain stages in the Giro (with the field being what it is, God knows it's needed). But I fear he's more or less finished. A 34-year-old who was already declining since turning 30 coming back after a year out isn't really a recipe for great success.

I always liked Quintana as the underdog / the people's favourite and someone with a pretty decent speech. I wonder though, in his Movistar years, he always seems to be overshadowed by Valverde in the pecking order / internal ranking, and he doesn't seem to ride for anything else than his own glory. This is all likely to result in his own team / team mates feeling lukewarm about supporting him, but they probably felt they couldn't ignore him while he was the only one in Movistar capable of podium-ing or even winning a GT.

For sure Quintana is past his best so I think he's trying to make the best of the rest of his career. Nothing wrong with that.

However, IMO, Quintana was insulted having to ride below Valverde during his previous time at Movistar - at least in grand tours. Nairo was one of the few riders who could push Froome at his peak. Examples 2013 and 2015 TdF. AV was never capable of that level. Valverde should have been 2nd fiddle to Quintana in the Movistar pecking order in grand tours.

At Movistar I always had the impression it was a Spanish thing. I was very surprised Quintana went back to that team after how he was treated there. He seemed to get on well with Valverde so it seemed like Unzué was the problem. Quintana's performances were simply a case of cause and effect. Treat a rider badly and they lose motivation. I think he made a career mistake around 2016 deciding to stay with Movistar rather than leave.

I suppose by last year he gave up his aspirations and a return to Movistar was the best option he had.

But it seems he won't be even a remote threat at the Giro. Even wining a stage seems a big stretch. That just reinforces the weak field that Pogacar is up against.

Hard to know the cultural inferences that come with that moniker. We have some very visible folks in the US that use that and "vermin" as a direct reference to immigrants. While this wouldn't be the same situation the low regard inferred by Rowe can cover alot of things other than omerta. I doubt Nairo "outed" anyone.
Rowe's team and Froome in particular got soundly embarrassed in that Vuelta and Quintana was one of the beneficiaries. That...and 75% of the peloton that weren't over confident and asleep. Maybe Rowe doesn't like the opportunistic wins by "rats". F*ck him.

Last edited:
For sure Quintana is past his best so I think he's trying to make the best of the rest of his career. Nothing wrong with that.

However, IMO, Quintana was insulted having to ride below Valverde during his previous time at Movistar - at least in grand tours. Nairo was one of the few riders who could push Froome at his peak. Examples 2013 and 2015 TdF. AV was never capable of that level. Valverde should have been 2nd fiddle to Quintana in the Movistar pecking order in grand tours.

At Movistar I always had the impression it was a Spanish thing. I was very surprised Quintana went back to that team after how he was treated there. He seemed to get on well with Valverde so it seemed like Unzué was the problem. Quintana's performances were simply a case of cause and effect. Treat a rider badly and they lose motivation. I think he made a career mistake around 2016 deciding to stay with Movistar rather than leave.

I suppose by last year he gave up his aspirations and a return to Movistar was the best option he had.

But it seems he won't be even a remote threat at the Giro. Even wining a stage seems a big stretch. That just reinforces the weak field that Pogacar is up against.
I wanna know what happened in 2015 when Nibali attacked on the Croix de Fer with like 10 guys left in the peloton and Quintana sat prettily waiting to attack on the 6% grinder that is La Toussuire.

Not having permission is the only thing that makes sense.

Hard to know the cultural inferences that come with that moniker. We have some very visible folks in the US that use that and "vermin" as a direct reference to immigrants. While this wouldn't be the same situation the low regard inferred by Rowe can cover alot of things other than omerta. I doubt Nairo "outed" anyone.
Rowe's team and Froome in particular got soundly embarrassed in that Vuelta and Quintana was one of the beneficiaries. That...and 75% of the peloton that weren't over confident and asleep. Maybe Rowe doesn't like the opportunistic wins by "rats". F*ck him.
Yup, even though it’s not considered a “cuss word” it’s pretty nasty way to speak about another rider—certainly worse than calling someone an a-ss.