• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics women's keirin, Van Riessen rides on vertical wall

xxl.jpg

This was the most spectacular move I have ever seen in Olympic track cycling.

New Zealand, Spain, and France were all crashed-out of the keirin in this incident, which was caused by the Frenchwoman swerving up the track

Whereas the Dutch cyclist jumped up onto the vertical wall, was a few centimetres away from flipping over the rail into the audience, stayed upright when she jumped back onto the track, and finished the race.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone think the French girl was also pushing her to the rail? in one view it looked like the French girl was pushing up track even after they passed the fallen rider

Re:

Master50 said:
Anyone think the French girl was also pushing her to the rail? in one view it looked like the French girl was pushing up track even after they passed the fallen rider
Yep, that was my take on it as well. In fact, I thought she caused the whole thing, other girls fell after she started pushing the dutch rider up the wall. She just pushed her all the way up the track. I think everyone wanted to highlighted Van Riessen and wanted to be positive about it, but Cueff seemed to get away with a really dirty move right there. Only a few journalists picked up on it.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Crash-Keirin-Virginie-Cueff-Shove-Opponent-Stand-Crash-Cycling-390074691.html