• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
If you had some money & hadn't left it to the last minute,
Screenshot-2024-04-04-113134.png

The blue option is to use the car park as less tight chicane but you do need to tarmac it over

The Green option is to use the car park of the museum, but you need to create connections between the road and the car park - the main obstacle is a small ditch. Expensive, but less obtrusive.

The red option is to use the road thats closed outside the museum. Probably the most intrusive & expensive option - you do need to relay the road and do something about the museum gates.

Rue Lambrecht is only wide enough for a single rider.

This last minute fixing of problems is tougher than you think.

So because of the DDV crash they are going to implement a solution that makes it more likely to have a DDV style crash?

Not expecting coherence from this bunch tho, because the same people who argue for straight line sprinting finishes, without any crazy bends are now pushing for a solution that will most likely result in a bunch sprinting for a road feature that would be deemed crazy and murderous if it were to be placed in the last 3 km of a flat stage.

That parking lot possibility posted before looks much more safer and planned with time it could be implemented with some roadworks connecting it to the main road. Not at last minute, for what we know and was tweeted by CPA himself, this complaints have been received over the past year and talked about at safety meetings.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
If you had some money & hadn't left it to the last minute,
Screenshot-2024-04-04-113134.png

The blue option is to use the car park as less tight chicane but you do need to tarmac it over

The Green option is to use the car park of the museum, but you need to create connections between the road and the car park - the main obstacle is a small ditch. Expensive, but less obtrusive.

The red option is to use the road thats closed outside the museum. Probably the most intrusive & expensive option - you do need to relay the road and do something about the museum gates.

Rue Lambrecht is only wide enough for a single rider.

This last minute fixing of problems is tougher than you think.
That green option is actually exactly what Niki Terpstra proposed: https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/n...-voor-chicane-werd-toen-niet-serieus-genomen/

So because of the DDV crash they are going to implement a solution that makes it more likely to have a DDV style crash?

Not expecting coherence from this bunch tho, because the same people who argue for straight line sprinting finishes, without any crazy bends are now pushing for a solution that will most likely result in a bunch sprinting for a road feature that would be deemed crazy and murderous if it were to be placed in the last 3 km of a flat stage.
I don't think this will cause a DDV style crash, people will be falling at like 30kmh. It's more like a crazy bottleneck which leads to crashes, I reckon

I don't think this will cause a DDV style crash, people will be falling at like 30kmh. It's more like a crazy bottleneck which leads to crashes, I reckon
Not talking about crashes on top of the chicane, but crashes in the straight road leading up to it where they will still go over 60kph.

I fully expect 2, 3 or more teams going full gas with 3, 4 or 5 riders there in order to have a block entering Arenberg first to give them numerical advantage once they leave the sector and the bunch is split up in several groups before. Given that the riders will now enter single file, it's even more important to be in the first 10/20 places than before.

Not talking about crashes on top of the chicane, but crashes in the straight road leading up to it where they will still go over 60kph.

I fully expect 2, 3 or more teams going full gas with 3, 4 or 5 riders there in order to have a block entering Arenberg first to give them numerical advantage once they leave the sector and the bunch is split up in several groups before. Given that the riders will now enter single file, it's even more important to be in the first 10/20 places than before.
Yeah no I got that, but I have a feeling the crashes will be at the pinchpoint/hairpin than before. We will see.

Instead of the chicane, why wouldn't they just make the entrance a bit less dangerous for 300m? Get the cobbles out of the ground, and put them back in properly, but just for 300m. This would make sure that chance of crashing at 60km/h is a lot less, while also slowing them down a bit once the real shitty cobbles start.

Reactions: Extinction
folks, please, Adam Hansen did not decide to put the chicane there. Riders from CPA wrote about the high speed entrance in Arenberg and ASO found the (stupid) chicane. Hansen just asked ASO what riders asked him

Hansen has said they were give options by the Aso, option 1 wasn't doable because of a pothole that needs fixing, this was option 2 the riders reps were given a vote, they approved option 2. The CPA absolutely are part of this decision.

Reactions: pastronef