• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2024, one day monument, April 7

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Winner of PR?

• Total voters
So how many will crash trying to get to the new chicane first? If it's so dangerous remove the sector, or otherwise stop messing around as everyone knows what's it like.

If crazy guys want to descend down a wet mountain road at 100 km/h people say nothing, but going as fast as possible over cobbles is life threatening.

How did option 1 look like?
car-tips-into-pothole-in-flooded-street-side-view.jpg

Instead of the chicane, why wouldn't they just make the entrance a bit less dangerous for 300m? Get the cobbles out of the ground, and put them back in properly, but just for 300m. This would make sure that chance of crashing at 60km/h is a lot less, while also slowing them down a bit once the real shitty cobbles start.
The problem with this solution was probably timing.

Even before it’s been raced, the chicane, which is more strictly a 180-degree U-turn, has sparked multiple, and varied, arguments both for and against it. Defending Paris-Roubaix champion Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Deceuninck) recently posted a pointed single-line ‘Is this a joke?’ reaction on Twitter, formerly X, to make their feelings plain.

The American’s post, though, is markedly in favour, saying via a post on the same social media network : "Is this what fans want to see? Riders completely covered in blood after sliding face-first at 50mph/80kph on sharp rocks in a forest? I’ll take a couple of turns and some guys sliding out on pavement any day…"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBiXPVKuTA

Reactions: xo 1
For non dutch speakers you have to translate it, but Hansen give an extra explanation on why they eventually landed on this solution.

Option 1 - Not possible due to pothole
Option 2 - Residential area, with too many gutters
Option 3 - The only other option

6497eafc-f27f-11ee-8fc9-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

For non dutch speakers you have to translate it, but Hansen give an extra explanation on why they eventually landed on this solution.

Option 1 - Not possible due to pothole
Option 2 - Residential area, with too many gutters
Option 3 - The only other option

6497eafc-f27f-11ee-8fc9-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Should've kept the parcours this year like it was and made sure that option 1 was well prepared for the next edition.

money, would take time to renovate the road, and its owned by the museum - they might not appreciate a cycling event going past their front door & you would need to remove the security barriers for the race.
This option would also make it impossible to access the parking lot where the spectators can park their car, as the only point of entry is by that part of the road.

With proper time, the road could be fixed and could be created another access point to the parking lot through the main road, if the local authorities want to do it.

[Deleted content]
I agree with all but people having a "bloodlust...for riders endangering themselves on cobbles". I don't think anyone likes to see carneage on the pavé and hopes every rider makes it to the finish unsacathed.

I honestly think with the performance science behind riders and equipment, the level of glorification of athletes today and the economic demands placed on them, together is making the sport just insane. There are too many crashes. In 42 years following the sport, I've never seen all the main contenders go down at once with diasterous effect. Something needs to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
I agree with all but people having a "bloodlust...for riders endangering themselves on cobbles". I don't think anyone likes to see carneage on the pavé and hopes every rider makes it to the finish unsacathed.

I honestly think with the performance science behind riders and equipment, the level of glorification of athletes today and the economic demands placed on them, together is making the sport just insane. There are too many crashes. In 42 years following the sport, I've never seen all the main contenders go down at once with diasterous effect. Something needs to change.
I'm only 31 years in, and I've also never seen anything like what happened today.

Reactions: Extinction