• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders to reach 100 pro wins

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which riders will reach 100 pro wins?

• Total voters
If I would make a poll now, I think I would keep Démare, Roglič, Pogačar, Evenepoel and Van der Poel. I would definitely flick Jakobsen and Ewan, probably also Groenewegen, Viviani and Van Aert. The latter is just too far away and is pushing 30 and doesn't do many small races, Viviani is close but is unlikely to win more than 1-2 races per season and Groenewegen just doesn't win much anymore.

Philipsen (45) is obviously the first replacement, then probably Pedersen (41) (although that would rely on him farming small races every February), Vingegaard (34) (I don't see it, he is too far away), Kooij (33) and De Lie (22).

If I would make a poll now, I think I would keep Démare, Roglič, Pogačar, Evenepoel and Van der Poel. I would definitely flick Jakobsen and Ewan, probably also Groenewegen, Viviani and Van Aert. The latter is just too far away and is pushing 30 and doesn't do many small races, Viviani is close but is unlikely to win more than 1-2 races per season and Groenewegen just doesn't win much anymore.

Philipsen (45) is obviously the first replacement, then probably Pedersen (41) (although that would rely on him farming small races every February), Vingegaard (34) (I don't see it, he is too far away), Kooij (33) and De Lie (22).

Oh, and I would vote for Démare, Pogačar, Evenepoel and Philipsen.

I disagree with taking out Van Aert but not Van der Poel. Both are 29, Van der Poel only has three wins more, Van der Poel races less and basically completely focuses on big one day races whereas Van Aert is a contender for most stages in most races. Van der Poel is definitely the better cyclist but would need to focus on the road for a few years to get 100 wins. I don‘t think there‘s enough difference between the two to draw the line there. But I guess you need to make the cut somewhere. I would put Van Aert ahead of De Lie just because he‘s still far away and it‘s going too far into the future with an injury-prone rider to be relevant at the moment.

I disagree with taking out Van Aert but not Van der Poel. Both are 29, Van der Poel only has three wins more, Van der Poel races less and basically completely focuses on big one day races whereas Van Aert is a contender for most stages in most races. Van der Poel is definitely the better cyclist but would need to focus on the road for a few years to get 100 wins. I don‘t think there‘s enough difference between the two to draw the line there. But I guess you need to make the cut somewhere. I would put Van Aert ahead of De Lie just because he‘s still far away and it‘s going too far into the future with an injury-prone rider to be relevant at the moment.

Fair enough, I guess I am a little blinded by this spring.

But I think it's an exercise in futility as neither of those two will get particularly close to 100 wins.

I guess a thing in Van Aert's favour is that he still has such a disappointing palmares so that he has a bigger incentive to continue his career for longer than Van der Poel.

From the riders in the OP there are very few who I think will reach 100 now. Pogacar most likely, Demare very likely unless he continues to have issues like this spring, Remco possibly. Don't really believe in any of the others anymore. Maybe an outside chance for Roglic, but I think he would then need to add more small races to his calendar to pad the numbers a bit, and that doesn't seem to be his thing.

From the others mentioned, I guess Philipsen, Kooij and De Lie are all good shouts, but it doesn't take much eventual decline for win rates to plummet quite hard. Getting to 100 wins in a career is extremely rare, after all.

Fair enough, I guess I am a little blinded by this spring.

But I think it's an exercise in futility as neither of those two will get particularly close to 100 wins.

I guess a thing in Van Aert's favour is that he still has such a disappointing palmares so that he has a bigger incentive to continue his career for longer than Van der Poel.
Van Aert, Van der Poel, Pedersen and Vingegaard is simply never gonna happen imho. Van der Poel is only 4 months younger than Van Aert, Pedersen is a year younger iirc, Vingegaard is already 27 and waaaay off.

I guess you could leave them in, not to upset some delusional fans, but if you leave one out, you should leave all of them out.

Reactions: Bolder and AmRacer
Van Aert, Van der Poel, Pedersen and Vingegaard is simply never gonna happen imho. Van der Poel is only 4 months younger than Van Aert, Pedersen is a year younger iirc, Vingegaard is already 27 and waaaay off.

I guess you could leave them in, not to upset some delusional fans, but if you leave one out, you should leave all of them out.
Vingegaard had 16 wins last year, he could conceivably do it but would have to pick the right races and stay dominant for a while

Reactions: Sandisfan