• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I liked the one commentator explaining why VdP is so much better than everyone else: “During the week in between Flanders and Roubaix, he didn’t spend it doing recon like 90% of the other riders, he spent it in Spain.” Not sure if she got the irony though. Not that they’re not all on the same stuff but still…
Yup, sometimes the commentators are realllllllly stretching it to find a plausible explanation. R E A L L Y stretching it.
  • Did not do a recon
  • Did a recon (apparently for stage races only)
  • Went to a sunny/warm country
  • Stayed in the cold and wet and trained on cobbles
He blasted off and then proceeded to do an alien TT for about 60 km. Only tooling around for the last 10-15 km kept him from the largest winning margin in history. Apparently van der Poel has become quite the amazing TT expert, despite still being Mr. Power Attack (has not lost a step there).

Oh, and strongest team of the race by far.

Boring as f8ck

2010 Paris Roubaix average speed 39.32kmh (the one where Fabian had a motor)

2012 Paris Roubaix average speed 43.4kmh (Last time Boonen won)

2024 Paris Roubaix average speed 47.85kmh (And they had a freaking chicane)

Canc and Boonen don't make top 50 in todays race. Max Walscheid Joey Rosskopf is a superior rider to both of them.

In fact, every rider (even those outside of the time cut) beat Canc, and they also beat Boonen. Both are OTL in today's race.

You do the math.

Is he doping? Are you seriously asking that question? That's the state of the f**king peloton.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Froome
So we've had the fastest Ronde van Vlaanderen followed by the fastest Paris-Roubaix (and last year's edition of both were the fastest ever).
It seemed at times like a bunch of jacked up kids who'd overdone the energy drinks and bags of candy. Manic almost. Talk about "junior racing"! :D
Tailwind, nutrition, aero, etc etc. Nothing to see here, move on now.
You forgot about the preceding fastest MSR ever, with a Poggio record on top

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Maybe, certainly it's something very very advanced, i don't believe they still use the primitive methods.

Other option i believe still strongly, it's legal doping. There's a lot of substances they can take, that are not illegal.
And miraculously weren´t been taken before?
The writing has been on the wall for some years (I´m not speaking about vdp alone), but what we´re witnessing now is beyond compare.

Reactions: Froome
Maybe, certainly it's something very very advanced, i don't believe they still use the primitive methods.

Other option i believe still strongly, it's legal doping. There's a lot of substances they can take, that are not illegal.
This is true. Some might require a prescription, but again, not really a barrier. And certain combinations will work much better for certain individuals.

I think a big issue with today is people are looking for a single smoking gun. However, I'm more inclined to think that we are seeing a combination of dodgy and questionably ethical improvements, as well as improvements in technology and training/nutrition methodology.

This is true. Some might require a prescription, but again, not really a barrier. And certain combinations will work much better for certain individuals.

I think a big issue with today is people are looking for a single smoking gun. However, I'm more inclined to think that we are seeing a combination of dodgy and questionably ethical improvements, as well as improvements in technology and training/nutrition methodology.
And miraculously weren´t been taken before?
The writing has been on the wall for some years (I´m not speaking about vdp alone), but what we´re witnessing now is beyond compare.
Sodium bicarbonates, ketones, we can start by there.

Reactions: pastronef
I don't believe they are taking risks with primitive methods.
I ask you awhile ago what you considered “not primitive” since you consider blood re-infusion and micro-dosing EPO primitive?

If English isn’t your native language, .”primitive” in the context you’re using it, doesn’t have the same meaning as “out-of-date” or old-fashioned, if that’s the meaning you’re shooting for in your commentary.

I ask you awhile ago what you considered “not primitive” since you consider blood re-infusion and micro-dosing EPO primitive?

If English isn’t your native language, .”primitive” in the context you’re using it, doesn’t have the same meaning as “out-of-date” or old-fashioned, if that’s the meaning you’re shooting for in your commentary.
When i say primitive, i am talking about the famous methods they used in the past. Blood transfusions, EPO.

I don't believe they are using now, but maybe i'm wrong.

Reactions: Sciatic
2010 Paris Roubaix average speed 39.32kmh (the one where Fabian had a motor)

2012 Paris Roubaix average speed 43.4kmh (Last time Boonen won)

2024 Paris Roubaix average speed 47.85kmh (And they had a freaking chicane)

Canc and Boonen don't make top 50 in todays race. Max Walscheid Joey Rosskopf is a superior rider to both of them.

In fact, every rider (even those outside of the time cut) beat Canc, and they also beat Boonen. Both are OTL in today's race.

You do the math.

Is he doping? Are you seriously asking that question? That's the state of the f**king peloton.
This is a completely ridiculous post. There's no math to be done, you're not even assessing if you can make races 10 years apart with a fair amount of accuracy. I would rather stay away from your posts.