• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know what's going on but I can tell you one thing:
1) Pogacar is the best cyclist I've seen
2) Vingegaard is the best stage racer I've seen
3) MVP is on his way to becoming the best one-day racer I've seen
Three monsters.

I might have an unromantic view here but IMO it's all about peaking via illicit methods for the right moment, then coming down from the 'high' before peaking again. Some riders have extremely high ceilings & the ability to repeat peak at regular intervals. Others, not so much.

For example I've seen both Van der Poel & Pog ride what appeared to me like paniagua on numerous occasions. This is usually followed by one insane performance either a few days or a week later which makes everyone forget the previous result.

It's why drawing conclusions from any race or performance is becoming increasingly difficult in this pro-peloton. Once we're talking about the upper stratosphere of top, top performers, then on their day I believe any single one of them when prepared properly can demolish the other if he's slightly off his peak (either coming up or down from the peak, to be precise).

I mean don't you think it's sort of funky how every team is hunting for the next 20 year old 'superstar' who they absolutely believe will win the TdF? Because taken at face value we should conclude a 27 year old Vingegaard is unbeatable & everyone else should pack their bags & go home. It's almost like... every team knows what it really takes to win & every team wants to hit that narrow performance margin with the right performer at the exact right time.

I might have an unromantic view here but IMO it's all about peaking via illicit methods for the right moment, then coming down from the 'high' before peaking again. Some riders have extremely high ceilings & the ability to repeat peak at regular intervals. Others, not so much.

For example I've seen both Van der Poel & Pog ride what appeared to me like paniagua on numerous occasions. This is usually followed by one insane performance either a few days or a week later which makes everyone forget the previous result.

It's why drawing conclusions from any race or performance is becoming increasingly difficult in this pro-peloton. Once we're talking about the upper stratosphere of top, top performers, then on their day I believe any single one of them when prepared properly can demolish the other if he's slightly off his peak (either coming up or down from the peak, to be precise).

I mean don't you think it's sort of funky how every team is hunting for the next 20 year old 'superstar' who they absolutely believe will win the TdF? Because taken at face value we should conclude a 27 year old Vingegaard is unbeatable & everyone else should pack their bags & go home. It's almost like... every team knows what it really takes to win & every team wants to hit that narrow performance margin with the right performer at the exact right time.

I never said my statement wasn't associated with doping. Just saying what I see. As for youngsters, they are clearly way closer to a "finished product" at the age of 20-22 than before. It was discussed here a few times and it must be associated with better training in teenage years plus earlier use of "juices".

These guys are not f**king around. Mutant sh!t happening, and none of them appear to be losing one drop of sweat about being caught. Either we are witnessing the evolution of mankind at an exponential pace, or they're doing something that cannot be detected now...and all I can think is gene doping, or alien propulsion technology.

Reactions: red_flanders
These guys are not f**king around. Mutant sh!t happening, and none of them appear to be losing one drop of sweat about being caught. Either we are witnessing the evolution of mankind at an exponential pace, or they're doing something that cannot be detected now...and all I can think is gene doping, or alien propulsion technology.
Don’t forget them lugworms! ;)

I never said my statement wasn't associated with doping. Just saying what I see. As for youngsters, they are clearly way closer to a "finished product" at the age of 20-22 than before. It was discussed here a few times and it must be associated with better training in teenage years plus earlier use of "juices".

I prefer what we're seeing in Paris-Nice tbh. I mean sure there will be some shenanigans in the preparation there as well but at least there's a real fight with riders who're in the same ballpark form wise. I'll always have more respect for a race with a tight fight for the win than one way demolition jobs with people gawking at a phony guy riding around minutes ahead of everyone.

I've been watching sport since the 1990's & there's never ever been an athlete in any sport who dominates without it being industrialized & totally cynical, whether legal (like in f1, although even then there's often cheating like Schumacher with his hidden driving aids in 1994), or illegal (athletics, cycling etc.). Even Messi & Ronaldo were doped up to their eyeballs & used to run around like rabbits without ever getting tired.

This is just me but I basically don't watch sport for supermen performances. They suck the joy out of it. Especially when I see the bean counters behind the scenes clapping & applauding. It's too obvious.

Reactions: noob