• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So when he was previously fast, there was no celery around?

These guys aren't the best logicians. Why not at least talk about the department store bikes, like everyone else is?

Reminds me of Bugno. I sucked because of a wheat allergy. Once I got that sorted I was fast again. Nothing to do with the EPO, right Gianni?
To be fair it's absolutely possible to develop allergies seemingly at random as an adult. Dunno if that also applies to celery specifically, but on the face of it there's nothing illogical about it

These guys aren't the best logicians. Why not at least talk about the department store bikes, like everyone else is?

Reminds me of Bugno. I sucked because of a wheat allergy. Once I got that sorted I was fast again. Nothing to do with the EPO, right Gianni?
I didn't know we were all facing a plethora of celery and all of our ingredients! I better watch what I'm eating!

Reactions: Krzysztof_O

This is a great run for any 78 kilo guy but obviously he's not "any 78 kg guy" but a pro with a well-trained engine. I suppose there would be a lot of "suprisingly" good times if more cyclists run i.e. Dumoulin did 10 km in circa 32.5 minutes. I'm curious what Vingo would be capable of given his physique, I would bet on him in a hypothetical long-distance run among cyclists.

This is a great run for any 78 kilo guy but obviously he's not "any 78 kg guy" but a pro with a well-trained engine. I suppose there would be a lot of "suprisingly" good times if more cyclists run i.e. Dumoulin did 10 km in circa 32.5 minutes. I'm curious what Vingo would be capable of given his physique, I would bet on him in a hypothetical long-distance run among cyclists.
Would Vingo beat Michael Woods?
Answer: No (Woods has run a sub 4 minute mile).

Remco ran like 1:11 as a mid teenager. Wout and VdP seem good for around that based on some of the easy runs they do. I think going under 1:10 would be reasonable with training.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
I checked Hessmann's strava profile as the quoted time and pace didn't really match. His half marathon time was 1:19:16, not "1h 24m"

To be fair, even that time is nothing to brag about. You can't even win a village race with that

Hessmann.jpg

Apr 29, 2019
Visit site
The question of average speed in the Paris-Roubaix is interesting, not least because the route is similar each year and it's pancake flat - so wind should matter. I'm a little late to the conversation because I wanted to find the relevant data, which was not simple. I took the trouble of downloading the French meteorological data from the Paris going back to the 1850s. I also pulled the Paris-Roubaix data (distance, time, average speed, date). I picked up the wind speed and wind direction data (and temperature) for the race dates. I couldn't find rainfall data which might have been helpful too. Data for some years were missing but it gives me 102 race editions with wind speed data. I classified wind as tail wind if it was between South-West and South-East, head wind if it was between North-West and North-East, and crosswind otherwise. I did a simple enough regression analysis and the input data did a reasonable job of predicting the observed average speeds.

I made some nice plots but it seems you can only share images if they are already online, so you'll just have to trust me on this.

What I found was that race distance, time (i.e., year), and the combination of wind direction and strength matter. Shorter more recent editions with a strong tailwind are fastest. At a typical windspeed of 4m/s, a race with a tailwind will be 5km/h faster than with a headwind. Under the same conditions, the race today runs about 3km/h faster than in 2000. So based on what is happening generally, the average speed this year was not out of step with what you'd expect given the conditions.

Interesting to note that the editions with the most extreme windspeeds were generally quite a long time ago. The most recent edition with strong winds was 1990 with a 7m/s headwind and the average speed was only 34.9km/h. It might explain the photo finish on that one.

The most interesting thing to me is that the trend in average speed was largely static pre-WW1, increasingly steeply from then to WW2, slightly downward from 1943 to 1990, and increasing steadily since then. I'm sure the timing with the advent of EPO is entirely coincidental. Of course, it also links in with increasing use of carbon and aero designs and the modern habits of bringing your own ketone-impregnated mattress to use on the post-race turbo trainer, so who knows?

Velo give it the ol' aero, carbs, tailwind explaination - https://velo.outsideonline.com/road...s-peloton-shattered-speed-records-all-spring/

Race2024 kphPrevious record kph
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad44.691 (Tratnik)42.500 (2021)
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne45.147 (Van Aert)43.004 (2022)
Milan-San Remo46.111 (Philipsen)45.773 (2023)
Tour of Flanders44.481 (Van der Poel)44.083 (2023)
Paris-Roubaix 47.802 (Van der Poel)46.841 (2023)
Amstel Gold Race42.469 (Pidcock)42.195 (2022)

Am I missing something or have they really jacked Francesco Romano for GW1516, despite him retiring 3 years ago?

Not quite retiring - with the help of googling translation -

https://sportwebsicilia.it/2024/04/...ulfone-al-termine-della-gf-di-fara-in-sabina/

The former professional Francesco Romano was suspended as a precautionary measure by the National Anti-Doping Tribunal, following a check by Nado Italia (National Anti-Doping Organisation of Italy), at the end of the Granfondo Internazionale di Fara in Sabina on 24 March 2024. The athlete from Vittoria (Rg), registered with ASD Nuova Avir, tested positive for the metabolite of Sulfone, included since 2013 by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) among the prohibited substances.

Reactions: Tim Cahill
lol what:
Time and time again the response was: it must be the flu and then I would be given antibiotics.
Is this a translation error? No one prescribes antibiotics for influenza...
It is plausible for food allergies to come on during adulthood.