• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 546 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hum, one has 2 Lombardias, the other has a fantastic 0 names written in Lombardia's trophy...
Different course? Yes, but still a very hard one. 2011 Gilbert would cook Valverde with one leg. We are talking about ability, the difference in panache is even bigger. One is a charismatic attacking rider, the other is just an uphill sprinter.
Balverde already had 1-2 GTs ( at lead going for GC) by the time Lombardia rolled around, it just didn’t seem like a priority for him.

Comparing those two should probably be like the old figure skating judging where you throw out the high and low scores. Take way each of their best years and then compare.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Hum, one has 2 Lombardias, the other has a fantastic 0 names written in Lombardia's trophy...
Different course? Yes, but still a very hard one. 2011 Gilbert would cook Valverde with one leg. We are talking about ability, the difference in panache is even bigger. One is a charismatic attacking rider, the other is just an uphill sprinter.
Dude, 2011 Gilber existed because Valverde wasn't riding!
Gilbert beat Valverde twice at the Cauberg, and that's about it.
Gilbert never won a monument when Valverde was racing.

2006 Liege: Valverde 1st, Gilbert 38th.
2006 Worlds: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 92nd.
2007 Liege: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 16th.
2008 Liege: Valverde 1st, Gilbert 91st.
2010 Liege: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 4th (beat him directly).
2013 Liege: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 7th (drop him like a stone on St.Nicholas, you should watch, hilarious stuff ;) )
2013 Worlds: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 9th.
2013 Lombardia: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 20th.
2014 Liege: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 8th (again droped like a stone, this time on Cote de Ans)
2014 Worlds: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 7th.
2014 Lombardia: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 7th.
2015 Liege: Valverde 1st, Gilbert 36th.
2015 Worlds: Valverde 5th, Gilbert 10th.
2015 Lombardia: Valverde 4th, Gilbert 33rd.
2019 Lombardia: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 54th.
2021 Liege: Valverde 4th, Gilbert 102nd.

2013 Liege: Valverde 3rd, Gilbert 7th (drop him like a stone on St.Nicholas, you should watch, hilarious stuff ;) )
2014 Liege: Valverde 2nd, Gilbert 8th (again droped like a stone, this time on Cote de Ans)
Damn, what could have been if Valverde hadn't won all those monuments in front of Gilbert. He single handedly cost him a 37th, a 90th and a 35th place.

Good joke. Gilbert was not professional when he was in BMC. That's the difference between them, Valverde is a maniac who lives for this sport and Gilbert didn't love training and often was far from his true ceilling.

As i said before and sorry havent been on here after the race in Liege. I was so fortunate to be in the car with Roodhooft and when Pogacar went everyone was just like yes well podium it is.

Its very rare what weve seeing now, I dont think theres a single soul inside cycling who doesnt think Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time already, its truly remarkable the way he does it aswell and can only be compared to Eddy. For me Eddy is still the greatest but yeah its pretty common knowledge Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time from every rider and DS ive spoken to basicly this seems to be a foregone conclusion, its really special.

Also what a performance for MvdP, I think he did better than he honestly hoped for since like he said too, he definitely didnt have the robauix legs he couldnt have been happier for a podium. Winner of Robauix and podium in Liege same year speaks volume and was definitely celebrated.

As i said before and sorry havent been on here after the race in Liege. I was so fortunate to be in the car with Roodhooft and when Pogacar went everyone was just like yes well podium it is.

Its very rare what weve seeing now, I dont think theres a single soul inside cycling who doesnt think Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time already, its truly remarkable the way he does it aswell and can only be compared to Eddy. For me Eddy is still the greatest but yeah its pretty common knowledge Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time from every rider and DS ive spoken to basicly this seems to be a foregone conclusion, its really special.

Also what a performance for MvdP, I think he did better than he honestly hoped for since like he said too, he definitely didnt have the robauix legs he couldnt have been happier for a podium. Winner of Robauix and podium in Liege same year speaks volume and was definitely celebrated.
He just needs to stay on his bike during this season. If he can do it, I think we will witness greatness and history.

Gianetti explains the Pogi Plan for the Summer (or "Teddy's Big Adventure" as it would have been called back in the day)
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road...nge-precisely-because-it-is-very-complicated/
It remains to be seen if they will be in top shape for the June 29 start of the race but, in taking on the Giro/Tour double—and bearing in mind the disappointments of Evans, Froome and Dumoulin—the obvious question is could Pogačar be leaving himself open to a less-than-ideal buildup to that race?

Gianetti doesn’t agree with the suggestion. “I don’t think so,” he insists.

Instead he points to Pogačar’s light racing schedule this year, one which has seen him compete just ten days thus far, but win a staggering seven times.

“I think the Giro will be good for him because he will just have a few days of competition before the Giro d’Italia and then he will take a complete recovery time after the Giro and before the Tour.

“So the Giro will be an amazing [he pauses] … we can say ‘training,’ but he will not take the Giro as training, he will aim to do it well, to go for the general classification. ...“If everything is okay, he will finish the Giro in good shape.”

Reactions: SHAD0W93
RiderROAD WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPSTotal monumentsTotal victories notable 1D races
Tom Boonen
1​
7​
20​
Fabian Cancellara
0​
7​
13​
Mathieu van der Poel
1​
6​
12​
Tadej Pogacar
0​
6​
10​
Paolo Bettini
2​
5​
7​
Philippe Gilbert
1​
5​
15​
Alejandro Valverde
1​
4​
10​
Óscar Freire
2​
3​
5​
Vincenzo Nibali
0​
3​
3​
Peter Sagan
3​
2​
10​
Remco Evenepoel
1​
2​
3​
Peter van Petegem
0​
2​
5​
Julian Alaphilippe
2​
1​
7​
Michal Kwiatkowski
1​
1​
7​
Greg Van Avermaet
1​
1​
6​
Wout Van Aert
0​
1​
7​
Davide Rebellin
0​
1​
5​

Tom Boonen
1​
7​
20​
Fabian Cancellara
0​
7​
13​
Mathieu van der Poel
1​
6​
12​
Tadej Pogacar
0​
6​
10​
Paolo Bettini
2​
5​
7​
Philippe Gilbert
1​
5​
15​
Alejandro Valverde
1​
4​
10​
Óscar Freire
2​
3​
5​
Vincenzo Nibali
0​
3​
3​
Peter Sagan
3​
2​
10​
Remco Evenepoel
1​
2​
3​
Peter van Petegem
0​
2​
5​
Julian Alaphilippe
2​
1​
7​
Michal Kwiatkowski
1​
1​
7​
Greg Van Avermaet
1​
1​
6​
Wout Van Aert
0​
1​
7​
Davide Rebellin
0​
1​
5​
Freire won 3 WC....

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tom Boonen
1​
7​
20​
Fabian Cancellara
0​
7​
13​
Mathieu van der Poel
1​
6​
12​
Tadej Pogacar
0​
6​
10​
Paolo Bettini
2​
5​
7​
Philippe Gilbert
1​
5​
15​
Alejandro Valverde
1​
4​
10​
Óscar Freire
2​
3​
5​
Vincenzo Nibali
0​
3​
3​
Peter Sagan
3​
2​
10​
Remco Evenepoel
1​
2​
3​
Peter van Petegem
0​
2​
5​
Julian Alaphilippe
2​
1​
7​
Michal Kwiatkowski
1​
1​
7​
Greg Van Avermaet
1​
1​
6​
Wout Van Aert
0​
1​
7​
Davide Rebellin
0​
1​
5​
Define notable one-day races.
I see you counted Dwars dor Vlaanderen as notable, but San Sebastian not.
You counted Kuurne, but not Zuri-Metzgete :oops:
Also Olympic Games somehow is not notable according to you?!
E3 was not so notable before WT status (2012).
Strade was not so notable in the first 3-4 years.
Paris-Tours was not so notable after losing WT status (2009).

Gianetti explains the Pogi Plan for the Summer (or "Teddy's Big Adventure" as it would have been called back in the day)
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road...nge-precisely-because-it-is-very-complicated/
Dumoulin also only had 12 race days beforehand. I think he has a shot but it’s mostly because Vingegaard crashed, and I’m sure Pogacar will feel the Giro by the end of the TDF in his legs. He has a shot because even not at 100% he should be able to follow Roglic/Evenepoel