• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 539 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
However, despite his achievements, De Vlaeminck does not spare some rough words: "Pogacar is a top rider and by far the best in the world, with Mathieu van der Poel a close second. Unfortunately, Mathieu can't keep up in the mountains. That would have been an exciting duel. But Pogacar isn't even half the rider Merckx was."

"If Merckx were to race in the same Giro as Pogacar, Pogačar would be five minutes behind in the general classification

Eddy Merckx was on another level, huh? There's absolutely no comparison between Pogacar and Merckx. Pogacar is a fantastic rider, and the Strade Bianche is a tough race, but not a legendary one, huh. He broke away ninety kilometers from the finish, and nobody could follow. I guarantee you: if I had been on his wheel, he would never have dropped me in my prime," de Vlaeminck said in words to Wielerrevue. "Never in his life! Just like Francesco Moser and Beppe Saronni couldn't either."

However, despite his achievements, De Vlaeminck does not spare some rough words: "Pogacar is a top rider and by far the best in the world, with Mathieu van der Poel a close second. Unfortunately, Mathieu can't keep up in the mountains. That would have been an exciting duel. But Pogacar isn't even half the rider Merckx was."

"If Merckx were to race in the same Giro as Pogacar, Pogačar would be five minutes behind in the general classification
As great as merckx was i would be surprised if he rides kwaremont the way pog did dropping vanderpoel off the wheal.

Reactions: Sandisfan
All this talk about Merckx... 99% of this forum didn't see him race... how can they tell Merckx would smoke MVP? Or lose to Pogacar? We don't know. But one thing I'm sure, Merckx would not win half of his wins if he was racing today. They are all professional cyclists nowadays.
How do you know that? How do you know Merckx would not even be more stronger with the access at all things the riders have today?

And no, Merckx wasn't beating farmers, unless you want to disrespect the legacy of super riders like ours Joaquim Agostinho.

How do you know that? How do you know Merckx would not even be more stronger with the access at all things the riders have today?

And no, Merckx wasn't beating farmers, unless you want to disrespect the legacy of super riders like ours Joaquim Agostinho.
Every sport demonstrate that. In the beginning of every sport, we had massive differences between riders/teams/clubs and the tendency is to this gap reduce with time.
We no longer see a player so dominant as Hendry or Steve Davis in snooker (or Joe Davis in the beginning of the sport)
We no longer see Real Madrid or big national teams win 10-0 regularly.
We no longer see a franchise like Celtics win and obliterate the NBA.
We no longer see a rider like Merckx in cycling that win every important race.
I have nothing against Merckx however we have a different sport now, a lot more competitive and balanced sport with way more professional riders.
For me Pogacar is the GOAT of "new cycling" (specialization era).

I think Novak will be very good. Bjerg as well.

Grosschartner + Majka left for the final.

Oliveira and Laengen to pull on the flats.

Molano? No idea really.
Yeah exactly. I don't understand the comments regarding a weak team. Novak has been great all season and Bjerg has shown quite useful on all terrain in a GT. Grossschartner and Majka might not be Yates but all he needs is guys that can do a solid 2-5 minute effort above threshhold to launch his attacks and they will do.

Who even is here to attack from far out where you would (theoretically) need a strong team to cover? Thomas and Ineos are the most defensive negative racing combination there is, Uijtdebroekshas yet to put a single attack in WT level. Bardet has the grinta but thats one single guy to look out for, he'll be fine.

Sure, you can have that opinion. I’m not calling people GOAT’s when they are 25 and don’t have the palmares of people before them.

He clearly said about "new cycling", not 70s or 50s. While Pogacar is way behind old champions achievement-wise, he's already one of the best in last 30 years or so and probably on his way to be the most accomplished in this period.

He clearly said about "new cycling", not 70s or 50s. While Pogacar is way behind old champions achievement-wise, he's already one of the best in last 30 years or so and probably on his way to be the most accomplished in this period.
He has 2 GT wins… Froome has 7. He has the same amount of monument wins as MVDP, and less than Boonen and Cancellara.

So no, he’s not the GOAT, yet. Not to mention he was destroyed the last 2 years in the biggest race.

Reactions: Froome
He has 2 GT wins… Froome has 7. He has the same amount of monument wins as MVDP, and less than Boonen and Cancellara.

So no, he’s not the GOAT, yet. Not to mention he was destroyed the last 2 years in the biggest race.

Not yet. He has 6 monuments and two TdF so he's probably ahead of Boonen and Cancellara but behind Froomey and a few other guys (Indurain probably has most impressive palmares in the new era of high level cycling, if we ignore Armstrong's TdF and WC wins).

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Every sport demonstrate that. In the beginning of every sport, we had massive differences between riders/teams/clubs and the tendency is to this gap reduce with time.
We no longer see a player so dominant as Hendry or Steve Davis in snooker (or Joe Davis in the beginning of the sport)
We no longer see Real Madrid or big national teams win 10-0 regularly.
We no longer see a franchise like Celtics win and obliterate the NBA.
We no longer see a rider like Merckx in cycling that win every important race.
I have nothing against Merckx however we have a different sport now, a lot more competitive and balanced sport with way more professional riders.
For me Pogacar is the GOAT of "new cycling" (specialization era).
Yet we see the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen obliterating F1
And we see Man City on it's way to win 4 PL titles in a row (not sure if it's been done ever..)
And we see Juventus and Bayern winning 11 or something in a row.
Not to mention that we see the like of Shifrin and JTB and Hirscher and so on in the winter sports.
And we see the big 3 in Tennis dominating ATP for nearly 2 decades, destroying most of the records.
And yes, O'Sullivan is more successful the Hendry and Davis only that over longer period.

To put it like that, nowadays we have as many people/teams dominating sports, as we've had before. It's far from certain that Merckx wouldn't win as much or even more nowadays.

Reactions: Blanco
You're right. IMHO he will be the Goat of new cycling.
GOAT = Greatest of all time.

It does not make sense to declare a GOAT of a generation, it's a contradiction in terms.

I think it's quite defensible to declare him (expected to be) "Greatest of recent/modern/contemporary time".
Yet we see the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen obliterating F1
And we see Man City on it's way to win 4 PL titles in a row (not sure if it's been done ever..)
And we see Juventus and Bayern winning 11 or something in a row.
Not to mention that we see the like of Shifrin and JTB and Hirscher and so on in the winter sports.
And we see the big 3 in Tennis dominating ATP for nearly 2 decades, destroying most of the records.
And yes, O'Sullivan is more successful the Hendry and Davis only that over longer period.

To put it like that, nowadays we have as many people/teams dominating sports, as we've had before. It's far from certain that Merckx wouldn't win as much or even more nowadays.
And the fact that there were no dominators to the same extend before Merckx. A relatively recent rider like Hinault was more consistently dominant than Coppi, and certainly far more dominant than any rider before Bartali.