• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GOAT = Greatest of all time.

It does not make sense to declare a GOAT of a generation, it's a contradiction in terms.

I think it's quite defensible to declare him (expected to be) "Greatest of recent/modern/contemporary time".
I think he has to beat jonas one more time in tdf and after that he is the greatest since eddy

Not yet. He has 6 monuments and two TdF so he's probably ahead of Boonen and Cancellara but behind Froomey and a few other guys (Indurain probably has most impressive palmares in the new era of high level cycling, if we ignore Armstrong's TdF and WC wins).
He is still behind them. If he crashes and can’t race anymore he’ll never surpass them. My point being you can’t be the GOAT when you don’t have the palmares yet, age doesn’t matter.

He is still behind them. If he crashes and can’t race anymore he’ll never surpass them. My point being you can’t be the GOAT when you don’t have the palmares yet, age doesn’t matter.
I agree with you partly. Palmares is obviously very important but the way of racing and winning is important too. Valverde's wins can't be compared to Pogacar’s wins. One gives a show for the fans with long range attacks, the other wins uphill sprints.

However, despite his achievements, De Vlaeminck does not spare some rough words: "Pogacar is a top rider and by far the best in the world, with Mathieu van der Poel a close second. Unfortunately, Mathieu can't keep up in the mountains. That would have been an exciting duel. But Pogacar isn't even half the rider Merckx was."

"If Merckx were to race in the same Giro as Pogacar, Pogačar would be five minutes behind in the general classification
No rough words there. The man is right.

does this constitute voodoo?
“You have to be perfect for 21 days, 20 isn’t enough,” Nibali said. “Now, I don't wish any misfortune on Tadej, of course not. But speaking in general, a single bad day, which can happen to anyone, can change a lot of things.

It does not make sense to declare a GOAT of a generation, it's a contradiction in terms.

I think it's quite defensible to declare him (expected to be) "Greatest of recent/modern/contemporary time".

And the fact that there were no dominators to the same extend before Merckx. A relatively recent rider like Hinault was more consistently dominant than Coppi, and certainly far more dominant than any rider before Bartali.

Coppi's and Bartali's achievements took a major hit due to the WWII i.e. 7 TdF editions weren't held and many other races as well. Otherwise they would be comfortably ahead of all guys not named Merckx (and maybe Hinault) despite both riding in the same era. Coppi would likely be a double-digit GT and monuments winner (which only Merckx could achieved), possibly ending up with palmares comparable to Merckx.

Last edited:

And the fact that there were no dominators to the same extend before Merckx. A relatively recent rider like Hinault was more consistently dominant than Coppi, and certainly far more dominant than any rider before Bartali
In the US sports scene yelling “Goat!” Is getting ubiquitous and meaningless—just something hyperbolic people shout for even short stretches of excellence. I think folks get caught up in using it without even thinking about the acronym.

Eddy Merckx was on another level, huh? There's absolutely no comparison between Pogacar and Merckx. Pogacar is a fantastic rider, and the Strade Bianche is a tough race, but not a legendary one, huh. He broke away ninety kilometers from the finish, and nobody could follow. I guarantee you: if I had been on his wheel, he would never have dropped me in my prime," de Vlaeminck said in words to Wielerrevue. "Never in his life! Just like Francesco Moser and Beppe Saronni couldn't either."
@Lequack please rename thread to ‚Tadej Pogačar is a Slovenian Saronni thread‘

No matter how many frauded lombardias or Mickey mouse gravel races he won, he cannot be considered the same level as mercxk. When Pogacar attacks, his style on the bike looks like a frightened small child desperately and frantically trying to show off how good he is to bigger kids, he exudes insecurity and will stop at nothing to terrorise genuinely family men looking for a humble breakaway win. I don't think he can be considered the greatest in an era when we have Van der Poel and remco, let alone to mercxk who won 5 times giro, 5 times Le tour and 7 Sanremo. The biggest races in cycling.

No matter how many frauded lombardias or Mickey mouse gravel races he won, he cannot be considered the same level as mercxk. When Pogacar attacks, his style on the bike looks like a frightened small child desperately and frantically trying to show off how good he is to bigger kids, he exudes insecurity and will stop at nothing to terrorise genuinely family men looking for a humble breakaway win. I don't think he can be considered the greatest in an era when we have Van der Poel and remco, let alone to mercxk who won 5 times giro, 5 times Le tour and 7 Sanremo. The biggest races in cycling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4