• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 554 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gap of 10" on the road is more or less what was expected. Probably lost 5 or 6s over the final 1km too so I think the gap between him and the others on the climb was in line what expectations (mine, at least). Narvaez was a very pleasant surprise though
He showed in his first acceleration that he is way stronger than any serious GC contender here. I think that was the point today.

He showed in his first acceleration that he is way stronger than any serious GC contender here. I think that was the point today.

He showed that. But why wasting the team if you fail to win the stage at the end? Wouldn't be better to try and let getaway get handful minutes of lead and not ride into pink until end of first week or at least stage 6?

He looked as expected tbh. We don't really see many gaps on these sorts of climbs nowadays so the fact he dropped everyone except one means he's got great form.

I enjoyed the stage for what it's worth (& yes, Pog is a very entertaining rider when he blows stuff apart like that) but I really don't know what to think about this first stage, i.e. if winning the Giro with minimum energy expenditure is the goal (like we've been hearing), then that's... not the way to do it.

This post will probably age badly when it doesn't matter at the end of July but I just don't think that was particularly 'smart' racing. This isn't a critique though per se, i.e. it was definitely an enjoyable watch.

He looked as expected tbh. We don't really see many gaps on these sorts of climbs nowadays so the fact he dropped everyone except one means he's got great form.

I enjoyed the stage for what it's worth (& yes, Pog is a very entertaining rider when he blows stuff apart like that) but I really don't know what to think about this first stage, i.e. if winning the Giro with minimum energy expenditure is the goal (like we've been hearing), then that's... not the way to do it.

This post will probably age badly when it doesn't matter at the end of July but I just don't think that was particularly 'smart' racing. This isn't a critique though per se, i.e. it was definitely an enjoyable watch.
Exactly this. It was entertaining stage but from tactics stand point of view and if he is really serious about the double I was expecting smarter racing.

Reactions: Offline and Rackham