• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 567 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If he's in fine form, I expect Pogačar to take at least a minute on Thomas and the rest tomorrow. Less than 30 seconds winning margin could indicate that we might actually witness a battle for Pink in the third week.
While Pog doesn't look red hot to me at the moment, that hardly indicates that Thomas is actually gonna pose any trouble for Pogacar.

Likely UAE too cooked today on stage 6, to prepare terrain for the ultimate climb, still Pogi avoiding to punch is telling. Lets see on how the TT goes, especially the final third. Somehow i feel Pogi is geared towards climbing this time and the rest is not all that important.

In my opinion Pogacar doesn't have the killer instinct Merckx had. Merckx wanted everything, day after day, that's why there's only one GOAT.
Yes Merckx is the GOAT. Its easy to have killer instinct when you are as superior as Merckx was. But the difference between Pogacar and Merckx isn't killer instinct its simply physical.

Glad Pogacar showed restraint today with two crucial stages coming up. Maybe he is finally learning to select when he attacks to best preserve his energies looking at the long term view. It helps not just this Giro but with the Tour in mind.

Yes Merckx is the GOAT. Its easy to have killer instinct when you are as superior as Merckx was. But the difference between Pogacar and Merckx isn't killer instinct its simply physical.

Glad Pogacar showed restraint today with two crucial stages coming up. Maybe he is finally learning to select when he attacks to best preserve his energies looking at the long term view. It helps not just this Giro but with the Tour in mind.

Pogi is so much superior from all the rest though, that it's fair to say if Vingo didn't exist, he would have won all the TdF easily.
Which would have built his confidence up, which I'm pretty sure would have translated today to way more risk taking.

Pogi doesn't want to save energy for the TdF, Pogi wants to save energy to battle Vingo. That's the key point IMO.

And Vingegaard is in my opinion a superior cyclist to Pigeon, Gimondi, Zoetmelk, and Poulidor.

Last edited:
Tadej Pogacar (UAD): "I would have allowed Plapp to take the Pink jersey, that would have been good too, but Ineos Grenadiers rode on the gravel sections and in the last kilometers, so we are not didn't get there."

GNJyMb7XwAAW_j-

View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1788641963865989395

We agree that Merckx is the GOAT, it's all fine.
It must be hard being a Pog hater. I mean if you’d have to choose to hate one rider, from the satisfactory rate POV - to choose Pog is a really bad choice. And all you and @Berniece are left with is Merckx. The final frontier. The impenetrable fortress of greatness never to be conquered by another living soul… But guess what… Each year that passes by, the voices are louder. First they were a mere subtle whispers, hinting the possible similarity. Couple of years later, we are talking Pog vs Merckx on daily basis. This really isn’t going your way, that’s all I’m saying…

It must be hard being a Pog hater. I mean if you’d have to choose to hate one rider, from the satisfactory rate POV - to choose Pog is a really bad choice. And all you and @Berniece are left with is Merckx. The final frontier. The impenetrable fortress of greatness never to be conquered by another living soul… But guess what… Each year that passes by, the voices are louder. First they were a mere subtle whispers, hinting the possible similarity. Couple of years later, we are talking Pog vs Merckx on daily basis. This really isn’t going your way, that’s all I’m saying…
There's only one rider who i hate, and that's Philipsen.

I don't agree with that conversation, it's quite premature when there's a significant list of riders in the history of cycling who have a better palmares than Pogacar and probably will still prevail with a better palmares than him. I think that conversation it's quite disrespectful to riders like Hinault, or Indurain.

I assume you did watch a lot of races back then, so your above 50 something?

Since your clearly so mature and objective in all your responses to Pogacar non stop, and clearly no small d energy towards him at all :tearsofjoy:, a piece of advice since its beyond obv, just let it rest it will be better for you and life will be better, just a advice. :tearsofjoy:

The peleton has spoken from Gilbert, Thomas to Contador it says it all way more than biased fans here anyway, if were keeping it real I mean.

And indeed Merckx is the goat for me too tho I didnt see him race but just from what he won, tho ive read he competed in a era where cycling is far less specialized and competetive where riders drank wine during stages, thats the problem with so different eras in all sports.. Pogiman is already best which clearly many already say. Difference betwen best and greatest tho yes. Also hes only 25 still..
You just pick out what you like to read in that article. Because the only thing myself, and Froome are saying is the same as Rowe.

"He's in that category and been in there a couple of years but to be in that level of 'God Tier' riders he's got to do it for a few more years if we're going to put him on the same shelf or similar shelf as Merckx," Rowe responds.

Reactions: Lorzenz08
You just pick out what you like to read in that article. Because the only thing myself, and Froome are saying is the same as Rowe.

"He's in that category and been in there a couple of years but to be in that level of 'God Tier' riders he's got to do it for a few more years if we're going to put him on the same shelf or similar shelf as Merckx," Rowe responds.
Never seen riders talk about merckx with others riders tho ive not been in cycling where that has happen seriously before thats all. Same as me too I agree with everything there. I too think Merckx is goat. Its all good.

Reactions: Berniece
Of course Pogacar is nowhere near Merckx when we talk about GOAT status. Pogacar needs more big wins to be the number one. I think it all depends on Vingegaard. Pogacar with 5 Tours, 3 Giros and 1 Vuelta and more big classics (like the world championship and 5 or 6 monuments), he is the GOAT but I can't see him winning 5 Tours.