• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 570 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I hope you are right he is just cruising because it means Pog is riding smart. But he didn't look like he was cruising after the finish? It looked like he emptied himself.

For a reality check today by Pog was still way below the level Vingegaard showed on stage 16 of last year's TdF. That TT was only 32 minutes duration for the winner and yet in that brief time Vingo put 1'38" on Pogacar in 2nd place.
What exactly are you basing the statement that Pog's performance today was way below the level Vingegaard showed in last year's TDF on?

Reactions: jmdirt
I hope you are right he is just cruising because it means Pog is riding smart. But he didn't look like he was cruising after the finish? It looked like he emptied himself.

For a reality check today by Pog was still way below the level Vingegaard showed on stage 16 of last year's TdF. That TT was only 32 minutes duration for the winner and yet in that brief time Vingo put 1'38" on Pogacar in 2nd place.
He did look normal not even breat hard and dying after the stage. 100% he didnt go all out during this TT , dont forget he is without altitude camp

Vingo ‘23 is the greatest ever human performance on a bicycle. Nothing pogi does will ever surpass that
Probably, because Pogacar himself said in a interview after the Tour France 2023, that he could never do the performance Vingegaard did on that day. He said he could do a little better, but in the best scenario he always would lose 1 minute. He himself said on that interview he can't do the numbers that Vingegaard produced on that day. So yeah, probably you are right.

It was Pogacar who said that in a interview.

Reactions: Barkintheeye
This isn’t a knock on Pogacar at all, but I cannot remember a favorite facing such lackluster competition period, much less in the Giro during a double attempt, ignoring when riders crashed out. If Contador had faced this competition in 2011 or 2015, he might have won the double. 2018 Froome and Dumoulin had to face each other as the two best GT riders at the time, and a thermonuclear Simon Yates (until he popped).

Last edited:
What exactly are you basing the statement that Pog's performance today was way below the level Vingegaard showed in last year's TDF on?
This . These gaps were created in a much shorter duration than today. Just 32 minutes.

Reactions: Froome
I find it funny how everyone is talking about how "Mou was right". I guess he was, but saying he'd be far in front by now was a completely obvious prediction.
Exactly. Everyone and their mother were able to predict Pog would have been way in front by now. The ultimate test of a true oracle is predicting altitude camps correctly instead of blaming Urska Zigart’s boyfriend’s girlfriend for one’s failed prophecies.

This . These gaps were created in a much shorter duration than today. Just 32 minutes.

So no power or other data to compare the two rides? I'm not disagreeing I just think the statement seems a bit weak.

The last climb really shows the difference. But it will different in the second TT for sure, it's totally flat.

GNPLc7yW8AA8BxZ
So they have them at same overall power with Pogacar at 9% higher speed despite Ganna around 25% heavier, on a climb… sensationalism at its best. Pog was amazing but let’s not pretend he put out the same Watts.

Ganna was not putting out 5.1W/kg LOL, I could do that.

We will see today what performance can Teddy produce and what is his true climbing level now. He should go all out on Prati di Tivo. Next weeks, not necessarily.

Then again, absolutely crushing the climb may not actually be that good regarding his Tour chances. Oropa and the TT didnt necessarily suggest absolute peak but we will know more after today.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Probably, because Pogacar himself said in a interview after the Tour France 2023, that he could never do the performance Vingegaard did on that day. He said he could do a little better, but in the best scenario he always would lose 1 minute. He himself said on that interview he can't do the numbers that Vingegaard produced on that day. So yeah, probably you are right.

It was Pogacar who said that in a interview.
Pogi and Jonas's "apparently broken" potentiometer

After the flat first 34 km, Ganna was ahead of Pogi by 47".
Ur from denmark i see hehe not sure if i even wanne type cause yeah.. Anyway its called pacing. Thomas lost in last 6km too so did others, the end had more with right pacing than climbing as 1.2 +1.4km is not enough in itself at all, rest downhill and flat so after a very demanding tt it was more about pacing than anything else. 6km with 4.4% overall is poggio ish a terrain ganna is steller in too. We rarely see this distance in GTs anymore. This was very much like last years WC TT. Ganna along with Remco is the benchmark in the worlds of regular TT's like this so its a big thing ofc the rumours have been flying already for a long time from talking to riders about pogacar but neverheless.

Reactions: snipeheem