• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was messing around a bit with the spreadsheet to see how good of a team was possible at this point in time. Without even optimizing it at all I could easily put together a team that would be at 11444 points already.

Has there been any hindsight evaluations in the past? What are the highest season score a hindsight team has gotten? Has any managed to get past 30k?
If it ever happened, it was probably in 2021,after the depressed scores of 2020. I attempted an optimised team that year which had a total of 28762. I have acquired since then a program to calculate the best possible combination within budget (thanks to, I think, @EvansIsTheBest ) so I might run that routine on that, and a few other, years' games when I have some time.

I use it a lot! I do think the weekly change tab would be more useful if it compared to the start of the week rather than to 7 days ago, though.
I also use the website. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for feedback!

Wish list:
Weekly Ranking: Fixed weeks rather than rolling 7 days.
Color coding of changes. Maybe I'll also make it sortable.

Regarding updates. I can change it but problem is I don't know when source (CQRanking) updates the points. Now I retrieve it somewhere in the morning automatically (CET), can easily change it but not sure to which time to be more up-to-date.
I think some time between 6-7pm CET makes the most sense. Most races are done by that time and the provisional results entered on CQ (at least for the portion that give out points) and it limits the wait for the updated rankings.

I was messing around a bit with the spreadsheet to see how good of a team was possible at this point in time. Without even optimizing it at all I could easily put together a team that would be at 11444 points already.

Has there been any hindsight evaluations in the past? What are the highest season score a hindsight team has gotten? Has any managed to get past 30k?
I have the optimal teams for every year of the game. Let me dig that out of my spreadsheet for you.

Possibly the strongest squad I've ever had for a single race in this game? That's not very good, because they can't all achieve a satisfying result if there's that many of them in the same race.
Not necessarily. Most famously, skidmark had 5 of the top 6 in the GC in Romandie in 2012 to vault towards the top of the rankings (and build a platform for what is still the best CQ team ever assembled). I personnally had the entire top 4 at Trofeo Laiguelia 2021. So it's rare but it happens.

The optimal team for every year the game has been run. For those too lazy to check all of them, the top theoretical score was unsurprisingly in 2021, just north of 30k (with 2022 and 2012 falling just short of that milestone).

GILBERT Philippe
VOECKLER Thomas
SAGAN Peter
WIGGINS Bradley
MOLLEMA Bauke
LEIPHEIMER Levi
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose
KITTEL Marcel
MORENO FERNANDEZ Daniel
PERAUD Jean-Christophe
FROOME Chris
PONZI Simone
GERRANS Simon
DEGENKOLB John
GALIMZYANOV Denis
HERMANS Ben
GALLOPIN Tony
PINOT Thibaut
SØRENSEN Chris Anker
KIRYIENKA Vasil
BRUTT Pavel
VANDE VELDE Christian
LIGTHART Pim
VANENDERT Jelle
TABORRE Fabio
SERGENT Jesse
DOWSETT Alex
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik
SØRENSEN Nicki
SCHUMACHER Stefan
KÖNIG Leopold
NIZZOLO Giacomo
GUARDINI Andrea
Score: 25725
Price: 7482

WIGGINS Bradley
BOONEN Tom
VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
DEGENKOLB John
COSTA Rui Alberto Faria
HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis
ROGERS Michael
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
MOSER Moreno
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
KRISTOFF Alexander
TERPSTRA Niki
PHINNEY Taylor
DEMARE Arnaud
BOUHANNI Nacer
NORDHAUG Lars Petter
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander
DURBRIDGE Luke
TALANSKY Andrew
PORTE Richie
TIERNAN-LOCKE Jonathan
PELLIZOTTI Franco
SEREBRYAKOV Alexander
TURGOT Sébastien
FIRSANOV Sergey
RABOTTINI Matteo
IGLINSKIY Maxim
REDA Francesco
KUMP Marko
PALINI Andrea
SLAGTER Tom Jelte
CHAVES RUBIO Johan Esteban
BOIVIN Guillaume
Score: 29013
Price: 7497

FROOME Chris
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander
PORTE Richie
MOLLEMA Bauke
ULISSI Diego
SPILAK Simon
SANTAMBROGIO Mauro
CIOLEK Gerald
MAJKA Rafal
WEENING Pieter
REBELLIN Davide
COQUARD Bryan
THOMAS Geraint
BARDET Romain
HUSHOVD Thor
ELMIGER Martin
IMPEY Daryl
MARTINEZ Yannick
ZOIDL Riccardo
DEBUSSCHERE Jens
DEHAES Kenny
ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David
SANTAROMITA Ivan
ROUX Anthony
KANKOVSKY Alois
ACEVEDO CALLE Janier Alexis
BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel
SINKEWITZ Patrik
ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin
DYACHENKO Alexandr
POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOR Mirsamad
FINETTO Mauro
ZABALLA GUTIERREZ Constantino
Score: 23416
Price: 7500

CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
GERRANS Simon
GILBERT Philippe
DUMOULIN Tom
PERAUD Jean-Christophe
ARU Fabio
VAN ASBROECK Tom
COLBRELLI Sonny
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
BOONEN Tom
WELLENS Tim
SWIFT Ben
YATES Adam
KENNAUGH Peter
FORMOLO Davide
BAUGNIES Jérôme
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
POURSEYEDI GOLAKHOUR Mirsamad
VANENDERT Jelle
HAAS Nathan
VAN GENECHTEN Jonas
DILLIER Silvan
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
ZAKARIN Ilnur
DI GREGORIO Rémy
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
SCHLECK Fränk
JANS Roy
HARDY Romain
JUUL JENSEN Christopher
DEGAND Thomas
ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew
Score: 30282
Price: 7486

ARU Fabio
RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquim
PORTE Richie
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
THEUNS Edward
DENNIS Rohan
BAKELANTS Jan
LANDA MEANA Mikel
FELLINE Fabio
HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
BENOOT Tiesj
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
HERMANS Ben
EWAN Caleb
BOECKMANS Kris
GULDHAMMER Rasmus
BOOKWALTER Brent
KUMP Marko
ROSA Diego
FEDRIGO Pierrick
BILLE Gaëtan
DE BIE Sean
TORRES AGUDELO Rodolfo Andres
LAMMERTINK Maurits
LATOUR Pierre
MARECZKO Jakub
OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe Santos Simoes
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
BEVIN Patrick
CLAEYS Dimitri
CAMPENAERTS Victor
ASKARI Hossein
Score: 24517
Price: 7495

ULISSI Diego
NIZZOLO Giacomo
COLBRELLI Sonny
KITTEL Marcel
GROENEWEGEN Dylan
CANCELLARA Fabian
PLANCKAERT Baptiste
DEMARE Arnaud
BRAMBILLA Gianluca
DUPONT Timothy
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
GAVAZZI Francesco
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
VAKOC Petr
ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin
DEVENYNS Dries
MOSCON Gianni
PARDILLA BELLON Sergio
VICHOT Arthur
BETTIOL Alberto
CORT NIELSEN Magnus
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael
DEHAES Kenny
ENGER Sondre Holst
VANSPEYBROUCK Pieter
RICHEZE ARAQUISTAIN Maximiliano Ariel
PETIT Adrien
MEURISSE Xandro
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
BENFATTO Marco
SCHULTING Peter
COSTA Adrien
OKUBAMARIAM Tesfom Issak
Score: 23931
Price: 7495

KWIATKOWSKI Michal
GILBERT Philippe
VIVIANI Elia
URAN URAN Rigoberto
LANDA MEANA Mikel
ROGLIC Primoz
TRENTIN Matteo
STUYVEN Jasper
POZZOVIVO Domenico
TEUNS Dylan
ALBASINI Michael
CANOLA Marco
CALMEJANE Lilian
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
DE BUYST Jasper
KÜNG Stefan
CATTANEO Mattia
DILLIER Silvan
ALARCON GARCIA Raul
PICHON Laurent
JENSEN August
VERMELTFOORT Coen
JULES Justin
SEVILLA RIVERA Oscar Miguel
THOMAS Benjamin
PÖSTLBERGER Lukas
HINDLEY Jai
TVETCOV Serghei
GIBBONS Ryan
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio
VAN DER POEL Mathieu
CERNY Josef
GULDHAMMER POULSEN Rasmus
Score: 24998
Price: 7490

YATES Simon
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
THOMAS Geraint
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
ACKERMANN Pascal
TERPSTRA Niki
IMPEY Daryl
MOHORIC Matej
MAS NICOLAU Enric
PRADES REVERTER Eduard
LAPORTE Christophe
SCHACHMANN Maximilian
JAKOBSEN Fabio
VAN POPPEL Danny
FORMOLO Davide
HOFSTETTER Hugo
SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro
BELLETTI Manuel
SKUJINS Toms
MADOUAS Valentin
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose
OVECHKIN Artem
DYBALL Ben
BALLERINI Davide
DE BIE Sean
SERRY Pieter
NIZZOLO Giacomo
GASPAROTTO Enrico
GEBREIGZABHIER Amanuel Werkilul
MÄDER Gino
BRANDAO Joni Silva
BOL Cees
BASSO Leonardo
Score: 26032

ROGLIC Primoz
FUGLSANG Jakob
POGACAR Tadej
TRENTIN Matteo
VAN DER POEL Mathieu
TEUNISSEN Mike
EVENEPOEL Remco
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
GAUDU David
SIVAKOV Pavel
BETTIOL Alberto
ASGREEN Kasper
JANSEN Amund Gr\xf8ndahl
TURGIS Anthony
VENDRAME Andrea
PLANCKAERT Baptiste
COSNEFROY Benoit
VLASOV Aleksandr
VAN ASBROECK Tom
MERLIER Tim
CIMOLAI Davide
RODRIGUEZ GARAICOECHEA Oscar
VALTER Attila
AFFINI Edoardo
BRÄNDLE Matthias
ARANBURU DEBA Alexander
TAMINIAUX Lionel
CHERKASOV Nicolay
MUÑOZ GIRALDO Daniel Felipe
RIVERA SERRANO Kevin
DE KLEIJN Arvid
QUINTERO NOREÑA Carlos Julian
AULAR SANABRIA Orluis Alberto
Score: 25691
Price: 7483

VAN AERT Wout
DEMARE Arnaud
PORTE Richie
ALMEIDA Joao Pedro Gonçalves
VLASOV Aleksandr
KELDERMAN Wilco
GANNA Filippo
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
HINDLEY Jai
HIRSCHI Marc
BENNETT George
ANDERSEN Søren Kragh
BOUHANNI Nacer
KÄMNA Lennard
GESCHKE Simon
BAGIOLI Andrea
CERNY Josef
VERMEERSCH Gianni
KRIEGER Alexander
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel
TESFATSION Natnael Ocbit
MOSCA Jacopo
HAILU Biniam Girmay
KACZMAREK Jakub
RICKAERT Jonas
FEDOROV Yevgeniy
WACKERMANN Luca
VERMEERSCH Florian
SIMMONS Quinn
VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael
HOLLER Nikodemus
MORIN Emmanuel
KOOIJ Olav
Score: 17930
Price: 7498

POGACAR Tadej
COLBRELLI Sonny
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
YATES Adam
MOHORIC Matej
GAUDU David
VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas
MOLLEMA Bauke
MERLIER Tim
HAYTER Ethan
CAVENDISH Mark
LAPORTE Christophe
VAN POPPEL Danny
O'CONNOR Ben
HONORE Mikkel Frølich
HERMANS Ben
PIDCOCK Thomas
CATTANEO Mattia
POWLESS Neilson
POLITT Nils
MÄDER Gino
MOSCON Gianni
SWIFT Connor
EIKING Odd Christian
SCHELLING Ide
VAN DER SANDE Tosh
TILLER Rasmus Fossum
BONNAMOUR Franck
LATOUR Pierre
VANSEVENANT Mauri
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
ALEOTTI Giovanni
WELTEN Bram
Score: 30282
Price: 7486

EVENEPOEL Remco
VLASOV Aleksandr
PEDERSEN Mads
DE LIE Arnaud
KRISTOFF Alexander
HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
HINDLEY Jai
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
KOOIJ Olav
ARENSMAN Thymen
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
THOMAS Benjamin
MEINTJES Louis
ZINGLE Axel
VAN GESTEL Dries
SCHMID Mauro
HERMANS Quinten
SHEFFIELD Magnus
VAUQUELIN Kévin
PICCOLO Andrea
VUILLERMOZ Alexis
GROVES Kaden
JUNGELS Bob
KANTER Max
KÄMNA Lennard
DUJARDIN Sandy
TURNER Benjamin
CONCI Nicola
STRONG Corbin
KAMP Alexander
Score: 29036
Price: 7496

ROGLIC Primoz
YATES Adam
HIRSCHI Marc
GANNA Filippo
KUSS Sepp
HEALY Ben
COSTA Rui Alberto Faria
GALL Felix
JORGENSON Matteo
VAN WILDER Ilan
VERMEERSCH Florian
GREGOIRE Romain
BAGIOLI Andrea
WAERENSKJOLD Søren
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
WELSFORD Sam
LAZKANO LOPEZ Oier
PENHOËT Paul
MULUBRHAN Henok
DE KLEIJN Arvid
TARLING Joshua
MARTINEZ Lenny
MOSCHETTI Matteo
GEE Derek
ZWIEHOFF Ben
ENGELHARDT Felix
VERMAERKE Kevin
BOL Cees
SEVILLA RIVERA Oscar Miguel
VADER Milan
JACKSON George
ZANONCELLO Enrico
LIPOWITZ Florian
Score: 26482
Price: 7483

Reactions: Devil's Elbow

Current optimal team would be:
AYUSO PESQUERA Juan
COSNEFROY Benoit
VAN GILS Maxim
WILLIAMS Stephen
MARTINEZ Lenny
DEL TORO ROMERO Isaac
PITHIE Laurence
POLITT Nils
BETTIOL Alberto
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
MOZZATO Luca
BLACKMORE Joseph
LAPEIRA Paul
TRATNIK Jan
MORGADO Antonio Tomas
FISHER-BLACK Finn
VANSEVENANT Mauri
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro
DELETTRE Alexandre
NAESEN Oliver
PACHER Quentin
GATE Aaron
BERCKMOES Jenno
CEPEDA HERNANDEZ Jefferson Alveiro
TRONCHON Bastien
RYAN Archie
CHRISTEN Jan
BETTLES Carter
BAUDIN Alex
CONTRERAS PINZON Rodrigo
TEUTENBERG Tim Torn
CAPIOT Amaury
Score: 12417

@Devil's Elbow remarks made wonder how high the correlation between the leading score post LBL and year end leader was. Excluding 2020 because the calendar was understandly completely different, here's how it looks like:
lbl-analysis.png

Teams that were both leading after LBL and at the end of the year are in green. Will Blues in the bottle be the third ? They have a bigger gap than anyone I can recall at this stage bu then again skidmark's legendary 2012 team wasn't even top 10 at this stage of the season so who knows.

The correlation is suprisingly high (R² of .8) considering we are only about a third of the way through the season scoring wise and the teams leading after LBL and the end of year tend to be different ones (probably heavier focus on the classics for the former). Using the equation from the trend line, we would expect the winning score to be 15576 points. Let's see how far off this ends up (every team outside of a wonky three year stretch in 2015-2017 has been within 1k of the expected value).
Last year I ran an analysis to try to predict the final winning score based on the points total of the leader post-LBL (predicted value: 15576, final value: 16336). Let's run this again this year.

Shalgo has considerably slowed down from their record shattering pace from earlier in the season or the 2012 best teams have caught up (because 2012 Boonen remains undefeated) depending on your perspective. Still with 6909 points after LBL, we would expect the winning score to be 18883.

For context the ten highest total of all time (this is the 14th edition of the game):

Rank
Team
Year
1​
19372​
11886​
2012​
2​
19129​
11633​
2021​
3​
19015​
11524​
2021​
4​
18676​
11179​
2021​
5​
18662​
11164​
2022​
6​
18293​
10794​
2021​
7​
18106​
10659​
2012​
8​
18009​
10513​
2021​
9​
17785​
10306​
2012​
10​
17643​
10144​
2021​

Reactions: shalgo
I also use the website. Keep up the good work.

I think some time between 6-7pm CET makes the most sense. Most races are done by that time and the provisional results entered on CQ (at least for the portion that give out points) and it limits the wait for the updated rankings.
Website should now update every day at 19:15 CET (at least it should from tonight onwards!). Will also still run in the morning in case something happened overnight. Let's see how it goes, something might go wrong based on dates but proof will be in the pudding.

Process: Evening update is an intermediate update. It will get overwritten the next morning. So in essence a one day forward look compared to current situation.

Last edited:
Last year I ran an analysis to try to predict the final winning score based on the points total of the leader post-LBL (predicted value: 15576, final value: 16336). Let's run this again this year.

Shalgo has considerably slowed down from their record shattering pace from earlier in the season or the 2012 best teams have caught up (because 2012 Boonen remains undefeated) depending on your perspective. Still with 6909 points after LBL, we would expect the winning score to be 18883.

For context the ten highest total of all time (this is the 14th edition of the game):

Rank
Team
Year
1​
19372​
11886​
2012​
2​
19129​
11633​
2021​
3​
19015​
11524​
2021​
4​
18676​
11179​
2021​
5​
18662​
11164​
2022​
6​
18293​
10794​
2021​
7​
18106​
10659​
2012​
8​
18009​
10513​
2021​
9​
17785​
10306​
2012​
10​
17643​
10144​
2021​
I guess one factor that makes your predicted finishing score a bit more uncertain is that shalgo's massive gap means you're more or less banking on just one team following the trend. The statistics would be more useful on a tighter pack, is my guess. But then again BitB had a big gap last year too, and beat your prediction quite comfortably.

Also, seeing that list is a cruel reminder of the essence of my history in this game: Scoring well on all sorts of metrics without actually ever winning the game.

Everybody else in the top 10 has Plapp basically and I don't but I have Nys on my team and no one else in the top 10 does so I'm actually confused as to whether this is a good day or not.

I guess one factor that makes your predicted finishing score a bit more uncertain is that shalgo's massive gap means you're more or less banking on just one team following the trend. The statistics would be more useful on a tighter pack, is my guess. But then again BitB had a big gap last year too, and beat your prediction quite comfortably.

Also, seeing that list is a cruel reminder of the essence of my history in this game: Scoring well on all sorts of metrics without actually ever winning the game.
Yeah for sure, there's less risk of undershooting by a ton if there are more teams that can pick up the slack if the leader falters. There's also a fair few guys on shalgo's team that look unlikely to continue scoring at the same pace and hard to see a top 5 all time score if Hayter continues to contribute pretty much zero. So I would definitely pick the under (but like you said, I would have done so last year too and I would have been wrong). Should still be comfortably enough to get across the finish line first for shalgo.

If we ignore their team for a second, and use skidmark's to compute the expected winning score we get to 16019 and I think in the end we'll be much closer to that number.

Reactions: Squire
Everybody else in the top 10 has Plapp basically and I don't but I have Nys on my team and no one else in the top 10 does so I'm actually confused as to whether this is a good day or not.
Clearly a good day for you. Plapp's extra points or seconds are not gonna make a huge difference to his overall score from this race, and he would have finished in the favourites' group at worst anyway. While Nys' points are more or less a 56 point bonus.

Website should now update every day at 19:15 CET (at least it should from tonight onwards!). Will also still run in the morning in case something happened overnight. Let's see how it goes, something might go wrong based on dates but proof will be in the pudding.

Process: Evening update is an intermediate update. It will get overwritten the next morning. So in essence a one day forward look compared to current situation.
Thanks! Really like the new column "Point change since sunday". There you can always see, where you stand during the week.

Right now I am in the lead together with Eyeballs Out and bminchow as we are the only ones who have Lund Andresen, Nys and Plapp.

What a great day yesterday! Don´t think, that it will last until the end of the week, but I will enjoy the moment!

Decathlon and Cosnefroy really want to annoy all of us, who doesn´t have him in this game.

04.05 Grand Prix du Morbihan
05.05 Tro-Bro Léon
11.05 Tour du Finistère
12.05 Boucles de l'Aulne - Châteaulin
23.05 Boucles de la Mayenne - Crédit Mutuel

The team gives him really the perfect schedule for this game. Just one-day races and lower ranked small stage races, where he also has a chance to score.

No WT stage race, where he would finish in 40th place GC and would perhaps grab just a few stage points somewhere..