• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 354 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What the heck is that photo composition?

She looks like evil Boo from Dragon Ball

dragon-ball-majin-buu.1676937414.5761.jpg

Pogacar have contract to 2027, Ayuso to 2028 and now Del Toro to 2029..

What do you think? Will all three see the end of their contract with UAE?

I already predicted some time ago that Pogacar-Almeida-Ayuso at one team is not going to end well but so far no signs of major discontent. I wonder if the next TdF is going to change something and I also wonder what the limit of talent in this team is before the riders start leaving for leadership elsewhere. Visma already reached that limit twice in the past with Groenewegen and then Roglic leaving.
And to think there were rumours about UAE being close to signing Philipsen for 2025...

he added 3 more years to his current 2026 contract.
he becomes the WT rider with the longest contract
Vingo, VDP, Ayuso, Christen, have a deal until 2028

Last edited:
Reactions: Didinho

I already predicted some time ago that Pogacar-Almeida-Ayuso at one team is not going to end well but so far no signs of major discontent. I wonder if the next TdF is going to change something and I also wonder what the limit of talent in this team is before the riders start leaving for leadership elsewhere. Visma already reached that limit twice in the past with Groenewegen and then Roglic leaving.
And to think there were rumours about UAE being close to signing Philipsen for 2025...
Almeida's contract is only until 2026. If he's smart, he'll change teams.

If they just keep finding good schedules and puts out the right constellations, that work well together, there should be few problems.

In Ayusos case, since Pog was doing Giro, they had to put him in the Tour. He was not doing "only" Vuelta for three years in a row. Next year, I assume/speculating he will do Giro + Vuelta.

Del Toro likely Vuelta for this year. Maybe Giro next year as well. Just speculating.

All the other guys have gotten plenty of leadership opportunities so far in the season. Stage-races and one-day races. However... when Pog races, for the time being, he is the leader. Everybody has signed up for that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If they just keep finding good schedules and puts out the right constellations, that work well together, there should be few problems.

In Ayusos case, since Pog was doing Giro, they had to put him in the Tour. He was not doing "only" Vuelta for three years in a row. Next year, I assume/speculating he will do Giro + Vuelta.

Del Toro likely Vuelta for this year. Maybe Giro next year as well. Just speculating.

All the other guys have gotten plenty of leadership opportunities so far in the season. Stage-races and one-day races. However... when Pog races, for the time being, he is the leader. Everybody has signed up for that.
It works for now because most of them are still young up and coming riders but should they achieve more success in the next few years, they may not be satisfied with this arrangement anymore. Especially if a situation similar to Vuelta 2023 occurs- when UAE has more than one rider capable of winning the race in the same GT and they can't all pursue the win freely or count on full team support for their preferred way of racing.

It works for now because most of them are still young up and coming riders but should they achieve more success in the next few years, they may not be satisfied with this arrangement anymore. Especially if a situation similar to Vuelta 2023 occurs- when UAE has more than one rider capable of winning the race in the same GT and they can't all pursue the win freely or count on full team support for their preferred way of racing.
May I ask who you are thinking of? Pogacar is the leader. Ayuso is under him and will get opportunities in grand tours but also in one-week rounds. Mcnulty stage races. Del Toro will become their 3rd real leader in the Grand Tours. I can see Almeida leaving after 2026. For me, Christen and Morgado are riders who will do very well in classics and can win hill stages in grand tours or week races. Fisher Black is also such a person, but I see him leaving for a team like FDj. Bjerg can get his chances in time trial and in Flanders

UAE has not won a Grand Tour for two years. So relax with the comparisons that they're sweeping the podium.

They can worry about such things when someone in the team proves that he is stronger than Pogacar. But until then, the team leader is quite clear...

Reactions: Lui98 and Salvarani
The kids at QS are not exactly on a roll. I have no idea what they have done with Svrcek there.
He hasn't really shown a flash yet with the pros, but he did podium WCs last year. He's far from being a bust yet.

Talking about the kids. Don't know which races you've been watching but Lecerf, Lamperti and Magnier have been flying.
And they managed to develop Van Wilder quite well after a typical DSM-screw up.

May I ask who you are thinking of? Pogacar is the leader. Ayuso is under him and will get opportunities in grand tours but also in one-week rounds. Mcnulty stage races. Del Toro will become their 3rd real leader in the Grand Tours. I can see Almeida leaving after 2026. For me, Christen and Morgado are riders who will do very well in classics and can win hill stages in grand tours or week races. Fisher Black is also such a person, but I see him leaving for a team like FDj. Bjerg can get his chances in time trial and in Flanders

UAE has not won a Grand Tour for two years. So relax with the comparisons that they're sweeping the podium.

They can worry about such things when someone in the team proves that he is stronger than Pogacar. But until then, the team leader is quite clear...
Nowhere have I written that UAE is sweeping the podium. This is not a necessary condition for oversaturation of leaders in one team. All you need is to have 2 guys on one team in the same GT who both feel like they could have a shot of winning the GC. They don't even need to finish 1-2.

Also Visma's podium sweep came a bit out of the blue as few have considered Kuss to be someone who can beat all non-Visma riders in a GT, let alone in his 3rd GT in a year! UAE may be closer to pulling something similar off than what you give them credit for.

Can't you really imagine that UAE could really find themselves in a smiliar situation sooner or later? Not this year, but if Ayuso is going to keep progressing, Del Toro is going to keep progressing and Almeida will still be a factor for more than 2 years into the future. And God knows who the next supertalent who ends up at UAE will be. You can keep juggling them between various races to ensure they all have leadership opportunities, but once they start winning Vueltas ang Giros, they will probably want a shot at the TdF and won't tolerate shared leadership with their team mates anymore. Once you have 3 among world's 5-6 best stage racers in one team, it becomes almost impossible to manage long term and even 2 can be a challenge some teams have failed to manage in the past. Can't you really see Ayuso or Del Toro getting there eventually?

This is not a certainty but IMO a scenario likely enough that warrants some consideration. IMO UAE is as likely to go through this as any other team in modern cycling and we've already had such situations before. Do you really disagree wth that?

He hasn't really shown a flash yet with the pros, but he did podium WCs last year. He's far from being a bust yet.
I didn't say he is bust, I rate him highly. He showed his talent at the U23 World Championship. But the QS is treating him badly, constantly making him work as a support rider.

Send your youngest rider to races where he can succeed & don't use him as a washed-up Ala or sprinters bidon catcher.

I didn't say he is bust, I rate him highly. He showed his talent at the U23 World Championship. But the QS is treating him badly, constantly making him work as a support rider.

Send your youngest rider to races where he can succeed & don't use him as a washed-up Ala or sprinters bidon catcher.
Honestly, the dude is going to get plenty of chances. If there is one thing you have to give to Patrick it's that everyone gets a shot.

In one of his recent columns Lefevere has commented very briefly about Svrcek's situation. He said the following:

Talented Martin Svrcek rode the Amstel for us last year, but he has not raced this season since Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. Martin is a bit lost in the ruthless profession that cycling has become. We put him in touch with his compatriot Jan Tratnik, who used to ride for our team and then faced the same problems Martin is facing now.

In one of his recent columns Lefevere has commented very briefly about Svrcek's situation. He said the following:

Talented Martin Svrcek rode the Amstel for us last year, but he has not raced this season since Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. Martin is a bit lost in the ruthless profession that cycling has become. We put him in touch with his compatriot Jan Tratnik, who used to ride for our team and then faced the same problems Martin is facing now.
Just when you thought Lefevere couldn't be a bigger clown than he is now.... Slovakia and Slovenia are two different countries.

Honestly, the dude is going to get plenty of chances. If there is one thing you have to give to Patrick it's that everyone gets a shot.

It doesn't look that way. I heard that he won't be racing for another month. And will only return for Four Days of Dunkirk.

Last edited: