• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 963 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
One thing im curious about which we dont know is Evenpoel in flandern whats the general consensus of how people think he would do there here?

Evenpoel to win it before Wva? before Morgado? im torn how Evenpoel would do there.
If the race was made hard from the start, i could see him win RVV. Before Van Aert, because i don't see Van Aert win it as long as either Pogacar or Van der Poel are there. Evenepoel has been successful on Flemish roads before. He won Baloise Belgium Tour twice, he won Brussels Cycling classic, he won the Belgian NC and he was good at the WCC 2021. There are a few of very specific skills he would have to train probably, but other than that, if he can win Liège, he can cope with distance, hardness, twisting and turning. As we could see in Brabantse Pijl 2022, his technique for cobbled climbs is probably the one thing he would need to focus on.

If the race was made hard from the start, i could see him win RVV. Before Van Aert, because i don't see Van Aert win it as long as either Pogacar or Van der Poel are there. Evenepoel has been successful on Flemish roads before. He won Baloise Belgium Tour twice, he won Brussels Cycling classic, he won the Belgian NC and he was good at the WCC 2021. There are a few of very specific skills he would have to train probably, but other than that, if he can win Liège, he can cope with distance, hardness, twisting and turning. As we could see in Brabantse Pijl 2022, his technique for cobbled climbs is probably the one thing he would need to focus on.
I'm not sure if that's really the case. He lost out in Brabantse Pijl because he couldn't/didn't dare to ride in the gutter where others did. But in RVV the gutters are usually fenced off, forcing everybody to ride on the cobbles.

We don't have a big sample size but in the past he didn't do too bad on climbs like the Muur van Geraardsbergen and the Moskesstraat.

I'm not sure if that's really the case. He lost out in Brabantse Pijl because he couldn't/didn't dare to ride in the gutter where others did. But in RVV the gutters are usually fenced off, forcing everybody to ride on the cobbles.

We don't have a big sample size but in the past he didn't do too bad on climbs like the Muur van Geraardsbergen and the Moskesstraat.
He lost time because he was the only one riding on the wet cobbles and the others dared to ride the gutter indeed. I’ve done the Hertstraat like 50+ times myself and it’s a huge difference riding in the gutter or left on the pedestrian side like they used to ride in the earlier editions, compared with on the cobbles even when dry.
And as you said he had the KOM on the Muur and have the endurance for the Ronde. Would like to see him try it already next year.

This is wrong. He did the same in 2022. Where he did a long camp in Livigno, went to San Sebastian, and then did another 11 days before the start of the Vuelta in the hotel of Kolobnev.
I guess that means he's going to crush the Dauphiné, win Le Tour by impressing in the first weeks and holding on in the last week, get a podium at the Olympics TT and absolutely dominate the Olympics Road Race.

I think I could live with that. ;)

Screenshot-20240418-162226-Instagram.jpg

Remco evenepoel doing TT.(it's just a joke). He has a great position.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
He should give a a go if not anything else than to get a feeling how good he would be there then go from there. hard to see him beating or competing with Van der Poel or Pogacar indeed but at the same time you never know before youve tried either and by trying he would have gained experience which would be valueable for years to come later eventually. Van der Poel wont be this Van der Poel forever either

He should give a a go if not anything else than to get a feeling how good he would be there then go from there. hard to see him beating or competing with Van der Poel or Pogacar indeed but at the same time you never know before youve tried either and by trying he would have gained experience which would be valueable for years to come later eventually. Van der Poel wont be this Van der Poel forever either
I was talking about Van Aert not beating Pogacar or Van der Poel.

Just fake an illness like Wout does every other year.

He has not the attitude to DNF. In his career, he did it only once (except for the few crashes he had): the 2019 WC RR. He was in a losing position after supporting his leader Gilbert (who crashed I believe).
I'm just reporting what he said. If you ride the day after coming back from altitude, it could be that you end up with very bad legs.