• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Uno-X Pro Cycling Team

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was a bit worried about Tobias Halland Johannesen after his weak showing in Almeria and Algarve before he withdrew from the latter race, thinking it was his knee problem coming back, but luckily it was covid. He lost a week of training, but is back now he said to Norwegian TV2. Because of this he will not race Paris-Nice, but instead focus on Catalunya.

The Uno-X team for Paris Nice: Kristoff, Wærenskjold, Tiller, Skaarseth, Resell, Greegard and Charming. Because THJ is missing the DS Arvesen have said they are not focusing on the GC but trying to win a stage. Kristoff could be a good candidate and in the right break both Greegard, Tiller and Charmig could win.

I was a bit worried about Tobias Halland Johannesen after his weak showing in Almeria and Algarve before he withdrew from the latter race, thinking it was his knee problem coming back, but luckily it was covid. He lost a week of training, but is back now he said to Norwegian TV2. Because of this he will not race Paris-Nice, but instead focus on Catalunya.
Yeah he said on Instagram that he fell ill and had to abandon.
I'm still a bit worried cause he postponed the start of his season and he didn't look good in Almeria / Algarve but let's hope he's back on track.

The team for Tour de France was announced today:

Kristoff - Going for the sprints.
Tobias Halland Johannesen - Target is to win a stage from the break, a good GC would be a bonus.
Træen - Aiming for stage win in the mountains, a good GC would be a bonus.
Tiller - Aiming for a stage win from breaks.
Greegard - aiming for the breaks in Massife Central
Wærenskjold - Mainly leadout for Kristoff.
Abrahamsen - Will be important in the leadout as he's (according to DS Rasch) very good at positioning the lead out.
Charmig - Quick finisher which can be key if he's in a break that makes it.

Anders Halland Johannesen, Erik Resell and Martin Urianstad Bugge are the reserves, not in specific order.

Tobias Halland Johannesen - Target is to win a stage from the break, a good GC would be a bonus.
Abrahamsen - Will be important in the leadout as he's (according to DS Rasch) very good at positioning the lead out.

Anders Halland Johannesen, Erik Resell and Martin Urianstad Bugge are the reserves, not in specific order.
A good selection. They've had a pretty good build up and hopefully some of the riders will enter in form. Hopefully Træen can land a good GC performance. I am not sure who has the best ever GC result for a Norwegian in the Tour. Is it all the way back to Willman in the 1970´s?

Reactions: Sandisfan
A good selection. They've had a pretty good build up and hopefully some of the riders will enter in form. Hopefully Træen can land a good GC performance. I am not sure who has the best ever GC result for a Norwegian in the Tour. Is it all the way back to Willman in the 1970´s?
Wilmann was 14th 1980, that's the best. It should be within reach for Træen, but a top 10 will be very hard.

No complaints about this lineup, all of their top guys are racing so that’s good.

Are the targets for each rider yours, or what the team has said?

I'd like to see either Johannesen or Gregaard going for polka dots, which is arguably "easier" (albeit harder physically) than winning a stage, where either the best puncheurs or the top GC riders are in the mix.

Also I believe Kristoff could go for green, as most the top sprinters are worse at stages with gradients (intermediate sprints and lumpy finishes), especially as Van Aert and Pedersen are probably not going for green. - It would take Kristoff showing up for the 8-9 bunch sprints too though, where he would need to consistently hit the top 5 (or thereabouts).

Are the targets for each rider yours, or what the team has said?

I'd like to see either Johannesen or Gregaard going for polka dots, which is arguably "easier" (albeit harder physically) than winning a stage, where either the best puncheurs or the top GC riders are in the mix.

I tried to write down what Haugland and Rasch said about the riders when they went through the team at the presentation, so not my ideas of targets.

I don’t think Kristoff is good enough to win green in competition against Philipsen. Philipsen will constantly hit top 3, Kristoff might hit top 3 once or twice. It’s not like Kristoff is better than Philipsen on the hills either in my opinion.

When it comes to polka dot I haven’t been looking at the points distribution, but Greegard isn’t a good enough climber to win it (but he can perhaps take it in the first week). THJ could be an option, but I’m not sure if that’s something to target. You very quickly ends up with absolutely nothing if you sprint for points before the last climb in every stage you are in the break and then comes Vingegaard and Pogi to win the stages and take KOM as a bonus.

Reactions: Boehmand
I tried to write down what Haugland and Rasch said about the riders when they went through the team at the presentation, so not my ideas of targets.

I don’t think Kristoff is good enough to win green in competition against Philipsen. Philipsen will constantly hit top 3, Kristoff might hit top 3 once or twice. It’s not like Kristoff is better than Philipsen on the hills either in my opinion.

When it comes to polka dot I haven’t been looking at the points distribution, but Greegard isn’t a good enough climber to win it (but he can perhaps take it in the first week). THJ could be an option, but I’m not sure if that’s something to target. You very quickly ends up with absolutely nothing if you sprint for points before the last climb in every stage you are in the break and then comes Vingegaard and Pogi to win the stages and take KOM as a bonus.

Kristoff:
I get your point, but by that logic he is even less likely to win a stage.
By going for green he would get a lot of points off intermediate sprints in breaks, where most other sprinters do not. Also I don't see Philipsen doing many breaks, because there are 8-9 proper bunch sprints he needs to save himself for. - Now if you were to say MvdP instead of Philipsen, it would be a different story, and I'll be interested to see if he keeps sprinting for the line after completing his lead out for Philipsen.

Johannesen/Gregaard:
I don't quite agree. If you look at the last 2 years, Geschke came close last year and Poels got close the year before - and the way the route is laid out this year, there are more "intermediate" mountain stages, where the GC riders won't take as many points, and on the big mountain stages there are plenty of points ahead of the last climb.

All that being said it is of course possible to go both for the jerseys and stages, and advertising your jersey goals ahead of time is probably not a wise strategy ;)

Johannesen/Gregaard:
I don't quite agree. If you look at the last 2 years, Geschke came close last year and Poels got close the year before - and the way the route is laid out this year, there are more "intermediate" mountain stages, where the GC riders won't take as many points, and on the big mountain stages there are plenty of points ahead of the last climb.
I think Greegard is very far off the level of Poels in climbs, and even Geschke have a much better climbing track record compared to Greegard. Geschke has won a TDF mountain stage and was second in a MTT in Romandie last year, Greegard hasn't done anything similar to this.

THJ should be good enough to fight for it yes.

I think Greegard is very far off the level of Poels in climbs, and even Geschke have a much better climbing track record compared to Greegard. Geschke has won a TDF mountain stage and was second in a MTT in Romandie last year, Greegard hasn't done anything similar to this.

THJ should be good enough to fight for it yes.

You are underestimating him, which is natural as he has spent almost his entire career as a Dom.

But at Astana he was, more often than not, Fuglsang's last guy in the mountains... and he won the polka dots in PN this year, with both Pogacar, Vingegaard and Gaudu in the mix.

I don't see him winning stages, but I'm sure he is a good enough climber to take the early points on most mountain stages.