• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Óscar Rodríguez

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

melkemugg said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Where did Oscar finish today?
+ 00H 23' 49''
For context, yesterday's top 10:

Óscar Rodríguez Garaicoechea (Euskadi-Murias) 108th +23'49"
Rafał Majka (Bora-Hansgrohe) 21st +4'33"
Dylan Teuns (BMC Racing Team) 76th +21'13"
Björg Lambrecht (Lotto-Soudal) 34th +7'06"
Laurens de Plus (Quick Step Floors) 84th +21'23"
Merhawi Kudus (Dimension Data) 40th +8'12"
Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) 64th +16'03"
Pieter Serry (Quick Step Floors) 82nd +21'23"
Edward Ravasi (UAE Team Emirates) 98th +22'34"
Benjamin King (Dimension Data) 61st +16'03"

Rodríguez was the weakest, sure, but 7/10 lost more than 15 minutes, signifying that they both went deep yesterday and are not GC relevant so had little reason to worry about time loss. The only person to remain competitive you would say is Majka, who is also arguably the most proven rider there (of course Zakarin has been on the podium here last year, but we've also seen from earlier in the race that he is in some pretty woeful form). Of the younger riders in the group, only Lambrecht shows relatively strong recovery, but most will be here just trying to get the experience of a three week race. I don't see Rodríguez finishing a couple of minutes shy of de Plus or Teuns here or a minute behind Ravasi to be of any real relevance - however having displayed this recovery and strength, I would expect to see him try again from the break in another stage, possibly tomorrow but more likely next Wednesday in the Monte Oiz stage.

Libertine Seguros said:
melkemugg said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Where did Oscar finish today?
+ 00H 23' 49''
For context, yesterday's top 10:

Óscar Rodríguez Garaicoechea (Euskadi-Murias) 108th +23'49"
Rafał Majka (Bora-Hansgrohe) 21st +4'33"
Dylan Teuns (BMC Racing Team) 76th +21'13"
Björg Lambrecht (Lotto-Soudal) 34th +7'06"
Laurens de Plus (Quick Step Floors) 84th +21'23"
Merhawi Kudus (Dimension Data) 40th +8'12"
Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) 64th +16'03"
Pieter Serry (Quick Step Floors) 82nd +21'23"
Edward Ravasi (UAE Team Emirates) 98th +22'34"
Benjamin King (Dimension Data) 61st +16'03"

Rodríguez was the weakest, sure, but 7/10 lost more than 15 minutes, signifying that they both went deep yesterday and are not GC relevant so had little reason to worry about time loss. The only person to remain competitive you would say is Majka, who is also arguably the most proven rider there (of course Zakarin has been on the podium here last year, but we've also seen from earlier in the race that he is in some pretty woeful form). Of the younger riders in the group, only Lambrecht shows relatively strong recovery, but most will be here just trying to get the experience of a three week race. I don't see Rodríguez finishing a couple of minutes shy of de Plus or Teuns here or a minute behind Ravasi to be of any real relevance - however having displayed this recovery and strength, I would expect to see him try again from the break in another stage, possibly tomorrow but more likely next Wednesday in the Monte Oiz stage.

If he can get lucky to get in a break in which the highest in GC is around 10 - 15 minutes down the GC teams will happily give them a good leash.

Escarabajo said:
FilipeFD said:
OMG, you are suspicious about a performance of a Vuleta rider.

Time for the mods to move all Vuelta threads to the clinic. Or you think only Volta deserves it?

and it is also very disrespectful to think a ProCont cyclists dont have the skill or ability to beat WT. If he was a nobody from a WT you wouldnt even second guess his result, but as a PCT..., he must be doped
Relax, if he that talented he will get a contract soon. Very soon. And we will get to enjoy his performances in a WT team.
because you cant enjoy his performance in a PCT team? IF he's that talented? what is the doubt?

its tiring all this suspitions you all lift upon cyclists. makes me wonder if you really like cycling. why cant you just enjoy the show and if something or someone is ilegal, it will be caught. you are the ones hurting the sport

MADRAZO said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Having finished 20th in the Volta a Portugal this was much easier. Lucky for Quintana and co that numbers 1 to 19 aren't here

A mediocre rider like Nathan Earle was 15 and Krister Hagen 19., so I think the level of that Tour is generally very overrated in this forum.
a mediocre rider twice made 140th on Tour de France and then went to win it

FilipeFD said:
Escarabajo said:
FilipeFD said:
OMG, you are suspicious about a performance of a Vuleta rider.

Time for the mods to move all Vuelta threads to the clinic. Or you think only Volta deserves it?

and it is also very disrespectful to think a ProCont cyclists dont have the skill or ability to beat WT. If he was a nobody from a WT you wouldnt even second guess his result, but as a PCT..., he must be doped
Relax, if he that talented he will get a contract soon. Very soon. And we will get to enjoy his performances in a WT team.
because you cant enjoy his performance in a PCT team? IF he's that talented? what is the doubt?

its tiring all this suspitions you all lift upon cyclists. makes me wonder if you really like cycling. why cant you just enjoy the show and if something or someone is ilegal, it will be caught. you are the ones hurting the sport
What are you so mad about??? You are barking at the wrong tree for I don't know what reason.

I don't know about your TV schedules in your country but I rarely see this guy riding on TV. And no, I don't watch The Volta a Portugal. I don't have that time. I have to pick specific races to watch because of work schedule.

Listen, and this is a fact, if he is that talented he will get a contract soon in a WT team. What is it you don't understand?

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site
First I apologize for my English. I'll try to do my best.

Okay, I'm a big fan of Euskadi-Murias since the team's creation. So, I don't think that I will not be really objective.

Before, Jon Odriozola said Rodríguez has a contract for the next season.
--> https://www.mundodeportivo.com/guipuzcoa/20180907/451688973710/jon-odriozola-oscar-tiene-un-talento-increible-sera-una-estrella.html
"Es normal que ahora tenga ofertas pero el año que viene seguirá con nosotros"

Obviously it was done before the Vuelta. I saw several people say he was looking for a contract. 90% of Euskadi's riders don't have a contract for 2019. A reason ? The company Murias can't guarantee her sponsorship over several years. Only for a year and she continues at the last moment.
With the victory at La Camperona, it can change many things for the Basque team.

The first Libertine Seguros's post resume his trajectory with Lizarte.

When Odriozola signs him, he said that Rodríguez have a big potential (climber & ITT).
During the same period, I had read that Movistar wanted Rodriguez but there was not enough room in the team (same with Samitier this year)
The first season (2017) was not that is expected. Injuries and more illness.
During the Vuelta a Castilla y Léon, her goal after the first stage was the victory at La Camperona because "it's a climb which corresponds to him perfectly". He crashed before the climb, so we will never know what he could have done.
And Hivert (winner in La Camperona) isn't Majka or Teuns.

This year, before La Vuelta, I was quite disappointed with his season. I found it irregular. The results in Portugal are not really references for me.
However, his last stage of the Tour of Alps had impressed me enough.
If he's on the Vuelta, it's because Odriozola knew he could go for a stage and in particular the stage of La Camperona.

Before La Camperona :

- 28° at La Covatilla. I don't think it's a "any result".

22° today (Lagos de Covadonga) too.

Rodriguez is a "diesel" rider. He managed perfectly the climb of La Camperona while Majka and Teuns came out very early and had already made a lot of effort the previous days. Bjorg Lambrecht makes a ""fairly similar"" climb to Rodriguez and finishes in the Teuns wheel.
The same on La Covatilla & Covadonga. Any explication ?
Okay it's Majka, it's Teuns, Zakarin, Lambrecht, Kudus, Zakarin blabla.... It's really weird when we don't know this rider and I understand you perfectly.
I was also very suspicious at the time even though I was expecting a place between 5-10.
In Spain, Rodriguez doesn't have a bad reputation. It's the complete opposite.

Finally, it is not the first to reveal itself / win in - this way.
I will forget many who have never had a doping problem :

Nieve at the Vuelta 2010, Piedra Vuelta 2012, Denifl Vuelta 2017, Zaugg Il Lombardia, King Vuelta 2018 and I do not talk about riders who have a very surprising trajectory (I don't include Froome haha) in recent years.
Following the results of riders like Roglic and Sosa for many years, I am really surprised to the level they have today and in a very short time. And this it's more crazy that the victory of Rodriguez. But it's not the subject.

Time will tell us what about Rodriguez but who tells us that it doesn't happen to him the same as the riders I just mentioned (like Nieve) ? Especially considering these other good results on this Vuelta.

But is it really reassuring ?

Re:

Orodreth said:
First I apologize for my English. I'll try to do my best.

Okay, I'm a big fan of Euskadi-Murias since the team's creation. So, I don't think that I will not be really objective.

Before, Jon Odriozola said Rodríguez has a contract for the next season.
--> https://www.mundodeportivo.com/guipuzcoa/20180907/451688973710/jon-odriozola-oscar-tiene-un-talento-increible-sera-una-estrella.html
"Es normal que ahora tenga ofertas pero el año que viene seguirá con nosotros"

Obviously it was done before the Vuelta. I saw several people say he was looking for a contract. 90% of Euskadi's riders don't have a contract for 2019. A reason ? The company Murias can't guarantee her sponsorship over several years. Only for a year and she continues at the last moment.
With the victory at La Camperona, it can change many things for the Basque team.

The first Libertine Seguros's post resume his trajectory with Lizarte.

When Odriozola signs him, he said that Rodríguez have a big potential (climber & ITT).
During the same period, I had read that Movistar wanted Rodriguez but there was not enough room in the team (same with Samitier this year)
The first season (2017) was not that is expected. Injuries and more illness.
During the Vuelta a Castilla y Léon, her goal after the first stage was the victory at La Camperona because "it's a climb which corresponds to him perfectly". He crashed before the climb, so we will never know what he could have done.
And Hivert (winner in La Camperona) isn't Majka or Teuns.

This year, before La Vuelta, I was quite disappointed with his season. I found it irregular. The results in Portugal are not really references for me.
However, his last stage of the Tour of Alps had impressed me enough.
If he's on the Vuelta, it's because Odriozola knew he could go for a stage and in particular the stage of La Camperona.

Before La Camperona :

- 28° at La Covatilla. I don't think it's a "any result".

22° today (Lagos de Covadonga) too.

Rodriguez is a "diesel" rider. He managed perfectly the climb of La Camperona while Majka and Teuns came out very early and had already made a lot of effort the previous days. Bjorg Lambrecht makes a ""fairly similar"" climb to Rodriguez and finishes in the Teuns wheel.
The same on La Covatilla & Covadonga. Any explication ?
Okay it's Majka, it's Teuns, Zakarin, Lambrecht, Kudus, Zakarin blabla.... It's really weird when we don't know this rider and I understand you perfectly.
I was also very suspicious at the time even though I was expecting a place between 5-10.
In Spain, Rodriguez doesn't have a bad reputation. It's the complete opposite.

Finally, it is not the first to reveal itself / win in - this way.
I will forget many who have never had a doping problem :

Nieve at the Vuelta 2010, Piedra Vuelta 2012, Denifl Vuelta 2017, Zaugg Il Lombardia, King Vuelta 2018 and I do not talk about riders who have a very surprising trajectory (I don't include Froome haha) in recent years.
Following the results of riders like Roglic and Sosa for many years, I am really surprised to the level they have today and in a very short time. And this it's more crazy that the victory of Rodriguez. But it's not the subject.

Time will tell us what about Rodriguez but who tells us that it doesn't happen to him the same as the riders I just mentioned (like Nieve) ? Especially considering these other good results on this Vuelta.

But is it really reassuring ?

Nice post. Time will tell.

I'm not sure doping per se has much to do with performances by relative outliers like this guy. Clean or dirty peloton, statistics allows for deviations from the norm. I don't think you can infer much from a one-time performance like this from someone who's obviously a more than decent pro cyclist with climbing potential.

And, as noted many times above -- either he'll hit this level again, or he won't. Or he'll get busted for doping.

veganrob said:
rick james said:
El Pistolero said:
He pulled a Froomie, he'll win the Tour four times in the next five years.

Oh wait, he's Spanish and thus isn't protected like all British cyclists are (outside of Spain that is).
Froome is Kenyan
I think the Brits claim Froome is one of them, until he gets busted. Then he's a dirty Kenyan.
They tried busting him, dawg is too big to get busted