• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Excellent. After riding my flip-flop hub on the free-wheel side for 3 years, I finally stirred up the courage to try riding fixed gear this week. I had a blast. On my commute home, I actually got all the way home without using my brake. It's like being a kid again. I even tried riding backwards - not a good thing for a 40-year-old to try in their driveway for neighbours to see! :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Excellent. After riding my flip-flop hub on the free-wheel side for 3 years, I finally stirred up the courage to try riding fixed gear this week. I had a blast. On my commute home, I actually got all the way home without using my brake. It's like being a kid again. I even tried riding backwards - not a good thing for a 40-year-old to try in their driveway for neighbours to see! :D

I love my singlespeeds, but with absolutely no track experience, the few times I've ridden (rather attemped) a fixie it's always ended badly :eek:

Some of the funnest (read zero pressure) racing I've done was the alley cat series back home...guys on the fixies pushing the big rings always impressed me.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
This doesn't really fit the 1 cog theme, but he doesn't seem to shift gears, so why not. Here's a different look at trials skills, this time in a rural format. Good old BC boy Ryan Leech risking a cracked noggin on the North Shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K3w7zfyrL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXwiAO57Jg&feature=related

There used to be a pretty good (though not this impressive) course in the Endowment Lands out by UBC; is it still there?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Steampunk said:
There used to be a pretty good (though not this impressive) course in the Endowment Lands out by UBC; is it still there?

I don't know, haven't been out there in a few years. Well, we've got trials, mtn biking, and track in this thread. Poor mods won't know where to put it.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I don't know, haven't been out there in a few years. Well, we've got trials, mtn biking, and track in this thread. Poor mods won't know where to put it.

:D to ride a bike, a beautiful thing indeed
3744862811_807355c608.jpg

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
I love my singlespeeds, but with absolutely no track experience, the few times I've ridden (rather attemped) a fixie it's always ended badly :eek:

Made me chuckle...bought back memories of earlier this year when I flipped the rear wheel round and went for a spin on the fixed side...all was fine until I went down a steep hill and thought momentarily that I would have a freewheel...several moments of riding a bucking bronco, a near heart attack, a hedge and an ejection on to a grass verge made me think fixed was not for me. A prompt flip of the wheel back to the freewheel side and a steady ride home complete with grass stained jersey ended my one and only fixed ride!:eek:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Jacques Tati said:
flyor64 said:

Made me chuckle...bought back memories of earlier this year when I flipped the rear wheel round and went for a spin on the fixed side...all was fine until I went down a steep hill and thought momentarily that I would have a freewheel...several moments of riding a bucking bronco, a near heart attack, a hedge and an ejection on to a grass verge made me think fixed was not for me. A prompt flip of the wheel back to the freewheel side and a steady ride home complete with grass stained jersey ended my one and only fixed ride!:eek:

Ha. Similar thing nearly happened to me. I found out that I had an annoying habit of standing up and freewheeling over train tracks. Nearly became train bait the first set of tracks I crossed with the wheel flipped. Give it another try, you'll get used to it very fast. I have absolutely zero cool fixie skills, but I have learned to ride it quite smoothly. It is a great way to ride, develops la souplesse, and helps rid yourself of bad habits.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I started riding fixed gear this summer. When I went for a road ride I had forgotten how to freewheel.

I have brakes on my fixed gear bike. I think I prefer it to riding with a freewheel now.