• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100K ITT as 2nd last stage of TdF

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
The 20th stage of TdF this year was quite boring. When the distance is only 22K the affect on the GC is minimal. Also, most riders care only for the time limit, meaning there is less than an hour with actual action. Only 36K of TT in total is also way too low - only mountain stages decide the GC.

What do you think of a 100K time trial as the second last stage every year? That would be cool! :)

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
I love it. But unless the French GC riders improve their TT I think we're stuck with mickey-mouse length ITTs.

Yeah, I think that's the reason why the TTs are so short - they favorize French riders. And that's why we need a standard, for example always 100 - 105 km ITT as the second last stage.

The rule about max 80 (or 60) km can just be changed to 105 km.

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Netserk said:
King Boonen said:
The maximum distance allowed for an ITT is 80km.
I thought it was 60km in a stage race?

But some rules are more like guidelines (Giro '09 had a 60.6km long one).
20 years ago, we had TT with 70 km
The more you go back the more lenght had the TTs, for example in the 1949 Tour there was a 137 kms long ITT in the penultimate stage to favour Coppi.

Now that the differences in the mountains and other road stages are as small as they are, long ITTs will completely decide the races on their own.

And that is pretty obviously a bad thing, which I cannot fathom why so many posters on here don't agree with.

King Boonen said:
Netserk said:
King Boonen said:
The maximum distance allowed for an ITT is 80km.
I thought it was 60km in a stage race?

But some rules are more like guidelines (Giro '09 had a 60.6km long one).
Regs state 40-50km for world championships and Olympics, 80km for everything else. Could be different for grand tours but not in the regs that I can see.
For stage races, it's 60km max both for ITT and TTT. The 80km is just for stand-alone ITT events like Chrono des Nations, I guess.

If it's like that...

T12_Riomaggiore_alt_FIN.jpg

Alexandre B. said:
tobydawq said:
Now that the differences in the mountains and other road stages are as small as they are, long ITTs will completely decide the races on their own.

And that is pretty obviously a bad thing, which I cannot fathom why so many posters on here don't agree with.
They disagree for a question of "balance".
I think the argument is that if you indeed include such long time trials the mountain stages will be raced differently and indeed more aggressively.

^ maybe so. But as far as I know, this argument is abstract in the sense that it has not explicitly addressed the effects of the UCI points system in the scenario.

Just as likely lesser TTers might decide to play it safe, just accept their handicap and aim for the podium or top10.

That said, im all for trying the long TT format a couple times. Wouldnt hold my breath though. Current GTs are gener(ic)ally boring.

Max Rockatansky said:
If it's like that...

T12_Riomaggiore_alt_FIN.jpg
That was an excellent long TT - both rouleurs and climbers did well on that, enough elevation to balance things out without gifting the whole race to the best TT'er immediately. Prudhomme desperately needs to speak to Zomegnan about route design, maybe between the two of them they could come up with something spectacular without going overkill.